FRONT BRAKES LOCKED UP ALMOST GOT ME KILLED.

Chitownbusa1991

Registered
I’ve only found one other thread on this issue and may god rest his sole I guess he died and his wife posted the thread!

Scenario: I was riding down a neighborhood road posted speed limit was 45 I was doing about 55-60. I was in 4th gear and I went to give it a little gas and the bike sounded like it was bogging out a little bit like I was in too high of a gear so I shifted down to third the bike the bike was still bogging and slowing drastically. The brakes didn’t actually lock up but they did make me come to a complete stop and the car behind me almost took me out. Luckily I was close enough to a turn lane and dove into the turn lane and avoided the accident.

I got off my bike to diagnose and found I had no front brake pressure I could completely pull in the front brakes with no pressure. I proceeded to look down by the brakes and my front left brake rotor was scorching hot. ( left front as if I was sitting on the bike, so it would be right front if I was staring at the bike head on). The other brake rotor was cool to the touch almost like it wasn’t even under pressure.

Eventually the brake pressure came back and I rode it down a residential area to try and diagnose the problem further. I could hear to scrapping or scratching but I did hear some sort of clicking. I’m on the side of the road kinda scared to ride the bike home.

2003 Suzuki Hayabusa

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sounds like a caliper re-build is in order....you have one or more pistons most likely seized...

Queue @Berlin Germany as he is all over caliper rebuilds...

Judging by the corrosion in these pictures, it's due to service the brakes regardless...
Do you believe it’s safe to ride home? I have regained brake pressure and I can push the bike just fine so I don’t believe anything is holding the bike from moving.

Do you believe it’s safe to ride home? I have regained brake pressure and I can push the bike just fine so I don’t believe anything is holding the bike from moving.
How far do you have to go?

If it is more than a few blocks and you can't use your engine and back brake to stop, I'd not ride it until those calipers are torn down and rebuilt....and do both sides as it is only a matter of time before the other side starts acting up...

I will guarantee that fluid was at the boiling point in that caliper...

Sounds like a caliper re-build is in order....you have one or more pistons most likely seized...

Queue @Berlin Germany as he is all over caliper rebuilds...

Judging by the corrosion in these pictures, it's due to service the brakes regardless...
Also bike sat for a few moths under a cover and under a deck but front wheel was semi exposed to the elements IE: rain hitting ground then splashing on front tire and front tire components.

Also bike sat for a few moths under a cover and under a deck but front wheel was semi exposed to the elements IE: rain hitting ground then splashing on front tire and front tire components.
That's all it takes....now that the damage has been done, the rebuild must be done..the seals and fluid in that caliper will be toast now.

Hopefully the rotor didn't warp or it will need replacing as well.

How far do you have to go?

If it is more than a few blocks and you can't use your engine and back brake to stop, I'd not ride it until those calipers are torn down and rebuilt....and do both sides as it is only a matter of time before the other side starts acting up...

I will guarantee that fluid was at the boiling point in that caliper...
Probably 13 miles or so I think I’m going to give it a try there are lots of back roads out by me I can take it slow will tear the front apart and prepare to bring the calipers in.

Can you do any of your own work?
Caliper rebuilds are Easy!
Save some cash and do it yourself.
Get some better pads with the labor money.
You can rebuild the master cylinder for around $30 too.
Given it's age and since you'll be replacing fluid, you might as well do it all correctly.

Brakelabs is a Great company for brake parts and caliper rebuilds too.

Thank god you are fine! I've never rebuilt my calipers but I take them off every 3 months and clean them with a tooth brush and check to make sure they work properly. I have anxiety about wheel bearing and brakes failing! I must be getting older.

Lack of care for that bike, poor bike, needs someone to give it some lurv . . .
The brake fluid boiled due to seized pistos on the LH caliper, thats why no brake lever pressure for a while, until it cooled off.
Bumblebee is right on the money with this.
You may as well overhaul the rear brake while you are at it, and be kinder to the old girl, keep it under cover when not in use!!

Back