Front Brake Upgrade on Gen II, Advice?

What is everyone doing on their GenII Busa's to improve the braking performance substantially? I have a 2009 and am seriously ready to do something. I guess I've been spoiled over the past several years riding a GSX-R 1000, those are good brakes.

I've read a few threads here regarding pad upgrades but, I'm looking for more then that. Pad's alone are not going to make the difference I'm looking for!

I would think the new EBC Pro pads and stainless steel brake lines might do the trick. Plus it is not super expensive to do this mod. I'm sure someone on the board has this exact combination.....maybe they will post.

pads and lines are a cheap start

then radial master cyl and new rotors are teh exp. next step.

Galfer wave rotors, Galfer sintered pads FD325G1375, SS spiegler lines, Brembo radial MC. Should do it for now, did for me :laugh:

Hi 09GSBusa:

What I did to improve my braking for my 08 bike was in order:

1. SS brake Lines (also did my clutch)
2. EBC HH brake pads (I hear the Pro pads are better)
3. Gafler rotors front and Back
4. Changed the front calipers out for ones from an 09 GSXR 1000 (monoBlocs)
5. Replaced Front Master Cylinder with 09 GSXR 1000

Items 4 and 5 could be improved by spending more money for Brembo (or other aftermarket) Brake calipers and MC. I felt that for my street riding that the GSXR 1000 upgrades would be enough and save me a bit of money.
I am sure there are others on this board that will have more knowledge and info about this, as the brakes are one of the weaker areas of the Gen II busa.
FYI the 09 GSXR 1000 components should be starting to show up on ebay these days as this is something often upgraded for those bikes for the track.

Hope this helps.

Rumble.

Hi 09GSBusa:

What I did to improve my braking for my 08 bike was in order:

1. SS brake Lines (also did my clutch)
2. EBC HH brake pads (I hear the Pro pads are better)
3. Gafler rotors front and Back
4. Changed the front calipers out for ones from an 09 GSXR 1000 (monoBlocs)
5. Replaced Front Master Cylinder with 09 GSXR 1000

Items 4 and 5 could be improved by spending more money for Brembo (or other aftermarket) Brake calipers and MC. I felt that for my street riding that the GSXR 1000 upgrades would be enough and save me a bit of money.
I am sure there are others on this board that will have more knowledge and info about this, as the brakes are one of the weaker areas of the Gen II busa.
FYI the 09 GSXR 1000 components should be starting to show up on ebay these days as this is something often upgraded for those bikes for the track.

Hope this helps.

Rumble.
Were the Gixer parts a direct replacement or did you have fitment issues to overcome?

I'm running Galfer SS lines, Rotors, and HH brake pads.

Same here:

The feed back on the stainless lines and EBC HH pads is great. The OEM rotors didn't handle the heat on the track very well. A little bit of fade, but a lot of warping. Galfer rotors addressed that concern. I also added ASV C5 levers.

Busa_Pose1.JPG

Another think not so expensive is to set Yamaha R1 or R6 front caliper (only radial caliper with 4 pistons by caliper : last R1 not fit (6 pistons), R1 : mod 2004 -> 2006, and R6 : 2005 - now.
These caliper are monobloc and better than Gsxr, and lightweight than other.
Something like that :
dscn4212.jpg

Last edited:
Another think not so expensive is to set Yamaha R1 or R6 front caliper (only radial caliper with 4 pistons by caliper : last R1 not fit (6 pistons), R1 : mod 2004 -> 2006, and R6 : 2005 - now.
These caliper are monobloc and better than Gsxr, and lightweight than other.
Something like that :
dscn4212.jpg

Hi, mind if i ask if these R1 monobloc calipers fits the GSXR1000 03-04 model front fork? I'm deciding to do a fork conversion for my '06 busa. Thanks

Next question is.. after i change the fork & the calipers. Will i need to change the brake line too? Will there be any differences in length?

The HH "Pro" pad is a substantial jump up in braking BUT they are not cheap by any stretch.. (well at least for my use on Gen1)

They are double the price of the standard HH pad and will last about 25-50% as long so that can make them pretty $$$ to run (my last set went less than 2500M and that was a $160 for just the fronts..

Got spoiled running the regular HH pad, 15K miles for $80, Running the "Pro Extreme" will run about $640 for the same 15K at this rate.. I now install the regular HH pad for the street

If you are going to abuse the brakes and use this pad, they cost as much as tires to keep on the bike..

Should add that half that mileage was on the track but the brakes were phenomenal for the Busa.. Stock rotors, stock m/c and SS lines..

Last edited:
Back