Brakes on the '08?

Where can you buy the OEM over the fender Spiegler SS lines, online?
Should be pretty much anyone carrying their products, we've had them available for a bit now. I believe HEL is also releasing their line kit shortly if its not already out.
Concur with CAT3's comments. I scored mine right from Matthias at Spiegler - we've know each other a few years now.
winkold.gif
But any Spiegler dealer can get them for you.

HEL makes some really kick-ass lines, too. I was one of the first to get their SS kit for the very complex 2nd-generation LBS system on the Blackbird.... be thankful we don't have to face this install challenge on the K8:

HEL_lines.jpg

Where can you buy the OEM over the fender Spiegler SS lines, online?
Should be pretty much anyone carrying their products, we've had them available for a bit now. I believe HEL is also releasing their line kit shortly if its not already out.
Concur with CAT3's comments. I scored mine right from Matthias at Spiegler - we've know each other a few years now.
winkold.gif
But any Spiegler dealer can get them for you.

HEL makes some really kick-ass lines, too. I was one of the first to get their SS kit for the very complex 2nd-generation LBS system on the Blackbird.... be thankful we don't have to face this install challenge on the K8:

HEL_lines.jpg
Now that looks like SS Braided Spaghetti. OFN.

HEL_lines.jpg
+1 on the HEl lines. Yup, the only thing stopping me on the FJR is that. A lot of work.
winkold.gif

r8

I agree the amount of force required to slow it down is more than most bikes. I do think in stock form, they are better than the 1st gen. Maybe because Busa's are way heavier than most of the 1000's out there.and after riding them we get spoiled or maybee Im just going way too fast!! I will be upgrading the 2nd gen brakes also...

I'm satisfied for now riding on the street but that may change next month after my first track day.

I don't think Warchild has ridden a stock Gen1. At this point I don't think he should have gotten a Gen II since they suck so bad, according to him.

The stock brakes on a Gen II are leaps better than the stock brakes on a Gen I. Can they both be improved upon? Yes. That can be said for almost any bike on the planet. Even with the stock brakes on the Gen II there are few bikes that can out brake the Busa. The SS lines will provide better feedback from the calipers, but not better braking. HH Sintered pads will help resist becoming "grabby" like the OEM Sintered pads do in hot weather.

You can't do much to improve the brakes, but you can improve how they feel to you.

Since no one seems to have addressed the original question, I'll give it a shot.

The Generation I busa left much to be desired in the braking department. Old school brakes that was old school on the very first busa off the line and remained untouched for almost ten years.

Your 08 busa does indeed have a much improved braking system and it is indeed much more efficient than that of it's earlier brotheren. Outside the master cylinder the front brakes are directly off the latest GSXR1000. The Busa does have a slightly thicker rotor I believe but other than that, exactly the same as the 1K. The only reason the busa did not get the radial mount master cylinder is it would not fit the busa without modifications to the front fairing. The Gixxer master cylinder makes contact with the front fairing when the steering is turned to the left.

Personally, I found the stock brakes to be much improved and more than adequate for a street bike. You can lock the front tire on clean dry pavement with stock brakes. How much more does one need. Like Truwrecks stated, you can improve your braking feel with steel lines and more agressive pads but you cannot improve the braking.

Something to think about is if you do track days, you may be better off with less agressive brakes if you intend to brake late trailbraking all the way to the apex like the fast guys do? Until you are well schooled at late braking your stock brakes are much less likely to create a traction problem than more agressive brakes.

The best guy I know when it comes to braking won't use steel lines etc. as he says it's much to easy to apply too much brake and end up loosing traction.

Back