front axle removal

Haven't done anything yet. Looks like I need a 23mm Allen wrench? This is crazy I can't find one that size anywhere

Machine shop, mill a piece of hex stock to size. Then a regular socket to hold the hex.
Or pay Snap-on.
E-cart tool or McMaster Car may have them also.

You can make your own for less than 5 bucks, just need a couple of nuts and a bolt. Looking for the thread.

Make sure you loosen the two pinch bolts on the side where you put in the tool! It should not be hard to remove.

They also sell tools for removing the bolt:

0000_Motion_Pro_Hex_Axle_Tool_Chrome_Moly.jpg

Is the front wheel on the ground?
It is a right handed thread so CCW to remove it.

Like in the pic from whitele it's a 24mm hex you needed.
I want to say it's like 72ft lbs so it shouldn't need a 6 foot bar but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Make sure whatever your are putting in the hex is a good tight fit. If you used a 22mm and a breaker bar you could mess up the axle rod.

A drop or 2 of oil wouldn't hurt either.

You never did say - why you want to get the wheel off?

It's o. A headstand right now. I have a 24 mm axle bolt and 2 nuts from my truck that I tried to make a tool from. I need to get the wheel off so I can change the fork seals. The left fork leaks so bad it's completely empty

Ok axle bolt is out. I welded a 24 mm nut to a axle bolt from my truck and got it out. Needed a breaker bar. Boy it was over tight. I started lifting the front end up. Guess the guy that did my tires really over torqued it.

Thanks for all the help and ideas

Back