Friend on 2nd GSXR with second gear gone

I got an 06 busa and an 06 750 gixxer and no problems. I always use the clutch. It only takes me 1 finger an a half a second to use it.
+1 usw the Clutch all the time on both my Busa's and never had a tranny problem and tell your friend they put the clutch there for a reason  
umnik.gif
Same with me, always use the clutch and have never had a tranny prob EVER, on any of my bikes  
winkold.gif
 I've owned lots of bikes, and lots of suzuki's too, and have ran them VERY hard, but I always make sure I get clean shifts....with a clutch  
laugh.gif
 I always hear guys saying its just fine to clutchless shift on bikes, but yet those same guys always seem to have tranny probs they blame on the machinery or want factory recalls ect?  
wowold.gif
 These guys are young and positive its all suzuki's fault. 3 low mileage bikes and 3 second gear failures? Can't be anything they're doing right?  
jump9.gif
I'm sure if you're running stock and don't do much racing the stock tranny is fine, but to assume that everyone that's ever had a second gear issue is "young and doing something wrong" is just plain stupid.  17th bike in 31 years of racing/riding and mine had a second and sixth gear issue from the day I bought it (they share the same shift fork).  I noticed it on the way home from the dealer.  Lost 6th at 12k and by 16k had lost both.  My bike has been over 225 hp since 8k miles and I'm sure that accelerated the problem, but it had an inherent problem from the day I got it.

I manned up and got an undercut tranny and everything is fine now - so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me when some dumb@ss insinuates that I only lost my tranny because I "don't know how to ride".
ohthedrama.gif

Pretty sure he was talking about the two guys in the OP, and not generalizing to Suzuki owners as a whole.

Obviously it's a touchy subject for me - sorry about my early morning insulting rant. Guess I'll call my doc now about some kind of anti-depressant.
cool.gif

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
AM -->
kennym4 @ Jun. 09 2008 said:
1444148[/ATTACH] AM]
The guys that switched to the 14 say that's the most noticable thing, the tranny ?
I think I would like my trans. to break. instead of the frame breaking.
winkold.gif
Well, with only 5 documented cases of frame cracks out of approximately 11,000 '06 & '07 '14's, I am not exactly loosing sleep over it. .9994545% of the bikes are fine. Sure a few more will turn up in the recall.

At least Kawasaki has stepped up with a recall rather than claim like Suzuki that every 'Busa that ever lost second gear was 'rider abuse.' This was a known issue for the whole first generation of 'Busa's and Suzuki did squat, even though a simple known fix that would have cost them virtually nothing in the cost of the bike to do.

Nice when a manufacturer stands behind what they make like Kawasaki has.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

All it takes is one time with a missed shift or false neutral. Trying to jam it back into gear at speed and/or high RPM. I did it myself. I knew better and against my better judgement, I still managed to eat my 2nd gear.

For you newbies or anyone, when a false neutral happens slow way down and gently using the clutch shift into gear.

Obviously it's a touchy subject for me - sorry about my early morning insulting rant.  Guess I'll call my doc now about some kind of anti-depressant.
cool.gif
I was referring to the guys in my original post, and the young guys we all know like them.....you know, the ones you'd never buy a bike from?
laugh.gif
winkold.gif
Sometimes things just break...and busa's do seem to have a bit of a rep for weak 2nd gears
wowold.gif
But I do think with just a bit of care you can have a suzi tranny last a long time. Unfortunately the guys I'm referring to are complete animals on their bikes, and it just irritates me that they have the balls to blame the brand of bike because they destroy stuff. I think the guys who fit into this category know who they are
winkold.gif

I do sometimes wonder though about the "so called" weak 2nd gears on some machines. I had an FJ-1100, rode the hell outta that thing for years and never had a lick of trouble with the "weak" 2nd gear (awesome bikes by the way
thumb_up.gif
) Also had an early ZX-11 with the "weak" 2nd, same deal, no probs after hammering it for thousands of miles
laugh.gif
But I also always used the clutch, and if I missed a shift race over. I slowed down and eased it back into gear. No slamming it back into gear trying to salvage an already lost race
winkold.gif

winkold.gif

laugh.gif

winkold.gif

Obviously it's a touchy subject for me - sorry about my early morning insulting rant.  Guess I'll call my doc now about some kind of anti-depressant.
cool.gif
I was referring to the guys in my original post, and the young guys we all know like them.....you know, the ones you'd never buy a bike from?  
laugh.gif

winkold.gif
 Sometimes things just break...and busa's do seem to have a bit of a rep for weak 2nd gears  
wowold.gif
 But I do think with just a bit of care you can have a suzi tranny last a long time. Unfortunately the guys I'm referring to are complete animals on their bikes, and it just irritates me that they have the balls to blame the brand of bike because they destroy stuff. I think the guys who fit into this category know who they are  
winkold.gif

I do sometimes wonder though about the "so called" weak 2nd gears on some machines. I had an FJ-1100, rode the hell outta that thing for years and never had a lick of trouble with the "weak" 2nd gear (awesome bikes by the way  
thumb_up.gif
 ) Also had an early ZX-11 with the "weak" 2nd, same deal, no probs after hammering it for thousands of miles  
laugh.gif
 But I also always used the clutch, and if I missed a shift race over. I slowed down and eased it back into gear. No slamming it back into gear trying to salvage an already lost race  
winkold.gif
All good points - and thanks for not ripping into me in response to my @sshole post.
winkold.gif
Was having a bad morning yesterday - not that that is an excuse.

winkold.gif

laugh.gif

winkold.gif

winkold.gif

My wife shifts with no clutch on her 06 1000 and after 22,000 miles, she has no problems.

--Wag--

Back