Friend on 2nd GSXR with second gear gone

2Wheels2Live

Registered
I have a friend who just lost second gear on his gixxer 1000. Before he got it he had lost second gear on his 750, and his brother hasn't had second gear in his busa for awhile now. He said he won't own another suzuki since they can't seem to make a tranny worth a @#$%. I suggested maybe the fact he (and his brother
wowold.gif
) never use a clutch to shift could be a contributing factor. He said naw, suzuki just makes junk
laugh.gif
winkold.gif
Considering these are the only sportbikes they've owned I'm kinda curious as to how well the next brands they buy hold up.

So, get the tranny undercut and he will never have the problem again. End of problem.

I got an 06 busa and an 06 750 gixxer and no problems. I always use the clutch. It only takes me 1 finger an a half a second to use it.

Hell I always thought Suzuki was renowned for making the BEST transmissions in the industry? He should really look into a 99ish R1!

It is not hard on your trany to clutchless upshift if it's done correctly. Don't downshift this way though. Infact it's easier and smoother on your whole drivetrain to blip the throttle and slide it into the next gear.{just my oppinion}

I am suspicious your friend and his brother are wheelie guys who don't know how to shift on the fly. Second gear is a problem with any bike if you are shifting on the fly while the bike is only half way up. Clutchless shifts with the front wheel only half way up and not getting second gear all the way ingaged will definately take it's toll on any bike. I bet if you ask them their bikes still have second gear? Their problem is it won't stay ingaged in second when power is applied?

Just a hunch?

It is not hard on your trany to clutchless upshift if it's done correctly. Don't downshift this way though. Infact it's easier and smoother on your whole drivetrain to blip the throttle and slide it into the next gear.{just my oppinion}
I downshift most of the time without the clutch as well, never had any problems on any of my bikes... it is just as soft a touch as the upshift and never forced.. short blip on the wrist and it drops right in..

80,000 total miles on Suzuki with out a shifting problem, including my Green draggon Turbo.

So, get the tranny undercut and he will never have the problem again. End of problem.
+1 - Fast by Gast undercutting with a billet output shaft - fixes problem and it shifts faster and easier as well now.
what kind of $$?   suppose if I ever have mine apart, it would be good preventative
I am pretty sure FBG or APE charge about $350~$400 for full undercutting although you could probably get by with just undercutting second.

I found mine used from a member on SH.org for $700. It was a used low mile tranny with fresh undercutting and the billet shaft.

I got an 06 busa and an 06 750 gixxer and no problems. I always use the clutch. It only takes me 1 finger an a half a second to use it.
+1 usw the Clutch all the time on both my Busa's and never had a tranny problem and tell your friend they put the clutch there for a reason  
umnik.gif
Same with me, always use the clutch and have never had a tranny prob EVER, on any of my bikes
winkold.gif
I've owned lots of bikes, and lots of suzuki's too, and have ran them VERY hard, but I always make sure I get clean shifts....with a clutch
laugh.gif
I always hear guys saying its just fine to clutchless shift on bikes, but yet those same guys always seem to have tranny probs they blame on the machinery or want factory recalls ect?
wowold.gif
These guys are young and positive its all suzuki's fault. 3 low mileage bikes and 3 second gear failures? Can't be anything they're doing right?
jump9.gif

+1 usw the Clutch all the time on both my Busa's and never had a tranny problem and tell your friend they put the clutch there for a reason  
umnik.gif
Same with me, always use the clutch and have never had a tranny prob EVER, on any of my bikes  
winkold.gif
 I've owned lots of bikes, and lots of suzuki's too, and have ran them VERY hard, but I always make sure I get clean shifts....with a clutch  
laugh.gif
 I always hear guys saying its just fine to clutchless shift on bikes, but yet those same guys always seem to have tranny probs they blame on the machinery or want factory recalls ect?  
wowold.gif
 These guys are young and positive its all suzuki's fault. 3 low mileage bikes and 3 second gear failures? Can't be anything they're doing right?  
jump9.gif
I'm sure if you're running stock and don't do much racing the stock tranny is fine, but to assume that everyone that's ever had a second gear issue is "young and doing something wrong" is just plain stupid.  17th bike in 31 years of racing/riding and mine had a second and sixth gear issue from the day I bought it (they share the same shift fork).  I noticed it on the way home from the dealer.  Lost 6th at 12k and by 16k had lost both.  My bike has been over 225 hp since 8k miles and I'm sure that accelerated the problem, but it had an inherent problem from the day I got it.

I manned up and got an undercut tranny and everything is fine now - so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me when some dumb@ss insinuates that I only lost my tranny because I "don't know how to ride".

Back