Frame Sliders

smokingness69

Registered
about a year ago i purchased some frame sliders. they were the kind that go in place of the center bolt hole of the fairing so you dont have to cut the plastic. anyway i was following behind a van. we were going about 10-15 mph. all of a sudden he stopped in the middle of the road. it was just my crappy luck that i was looking at something off to the side of the road. when i looked back, i found i couldnt do anything but hit the brakes. of course the brakes locked up and i slid into his back bumper. when i hit, i couldnt have been going no more that 5 mph. the impact was very minimal. it didnt bend the forks even. it made the bike fall to the right. the impact to the ground couldnt have been no worse than if someone got behind it and pushed it forward and to the right from a stand still. anyway i picked the bike up and the frame slider had bent toward the back of the bike and dug itself into the fairing. i would have been better off with nothing. would have gotten by with just scratches instead of a big hole in the fairing. i just dont think those frame sliders can help any (unless the bike falls over from a stand still). if you are going at any kind of speed and lay it over, the force is going to be so much that it will bend them back or break them off. im not trying to get anyone down, maybe it was just my crappy luck. i forgot to add it also stripped the bolt hole out in the frame. has anyone ever had any good results from them after laying the bike over?

dood, the ONLY frame sliders to use are a full "nylon" or nylon tipped slider that bolts into the engine mount, so on a busa, you must drill the panel, either way you get a hole I guess? I have seen nylon sliders used with major success! 80 mph loops and the bike rides away, 60 mph lowsides, and highsides. if your looking for some added protection try these too...  

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/engine_covers.html

the billet case cover and frame sliders may be the difference between riding the bike home, or trucking it?

yup heres another for billet case covers...
http://www.circuit1.com/

theres a few more out there, I see one for $289.00 at the suzuki shop that has a 2" tall oblong nylon slider that bolts onto the center of the case cover, that application is definintely for a lowside, while the woodcraft will hold up while sliding on it, its design is more for guys that like to grind cases, pretty cool eh?

well guy alli can say is they worked for me i went down at like 45-50 from a rolling burnout gone wrong. my busa slid 70 feet on her side, and i bent my main slider to almost a 45 degree angle. it did put about a 1 inch crack in the plastic where it got pinched by the slider and ground a small hole in my side case but thats it. nothing needs replaced. i paid like 220 for a complete set of sliders frame, fork, swingarm, and handlebar, and it saved me more than 800 in one fall id say they worked. if you want a set email neil at totalperformanceracing.com.

Yeah, if you have those mushroom sliders that do not require cutting then your prolly SOL. The only ones that have proven to work require you to cut the fairing and have a real high quality bolt for the engine mount. Nylon is good, metal bits here and there will probably work well also, bummer your failed man. That sucks, but it is the type of slider you were using, not all frame sliders in general..

yeah i must have had a set of the crappy ones. ill have to get a set of those nylon sliders. i like those woodcraft cases with the replaceable skid plate also. i wonder if you can get them without the woodcraft logo on them.

all I can say about steel or any metal type slider is they WILL NOT give you the breaking effect that nylon will, you will never see pros using metal as a slider on the track as it will just slide and not create much friction, nylon on the other hand will create friction and act as a break, I also have full nylon bar end sliders and swingarm sliders too

If I had had a cover like the Woodcraft below I would have more than likely NOT have ended up with as much damage as the above photo presents.

all I can say about steel or any metal type slider is they WILL NOT give you the breaking effect that nylon will, you will never see pros using metal as a slider on the track as it will just slide and not create much friction, nylon on the other hand will create friction and act as a break, I also have full nylon bar end sliders and swingarm sliders too
Your probably right, now how about you do a quick test for the Board?   You know nylon on one side, then maybe a LP carbon inlay on the other...a couple quick lowsides then Report back with pics?  :cool: Up For it?

Oh alright I suppose not. But I would imagine that aluminum anyway would still provide a decent amount of friction, it's pretty soft. I still think they have a pretty limited value in a real world crash at speed though. I have yet to see an accident at any sort of speed where the bike stayed on the road and slid politely along. Both the first hand street crashes I have seen resulted in tumbling cartwheeling bikes, one was a simple lowside, the other was a tankslapper caused by a bump in the road.
Now I have seen a couple of tip overs and some low speed parking lot type things where a decent set would have saved a lot of money...
What we really need is some type of Motorcycle airbag/anchor system. Slows it fast, and protects the entire bike...

Rev, I'll tell you first hand, no joke, it is nothing you want to go through if you can avoid it. :super:

Those case protectors look like a real damn good idea...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066169926 -->

actually I saw cookies busa slidin along fer about a hunnerd foot or so, just a sparkin up a storm. HAD HE INSTALLED NYLON EVERYWHERE! the busa may not have hit the pole as hard. you would be surprised how much faster your bike slows with nylon protectors, and how far it slides without em....

That open heart Busa pic above is yours I take it?
<table style=filter:glow(color=grey)>Freakin Ouch!!!</table>
Yes, Sir. 29th of last month.

All the right leather and gear on me didn't give anything to the fact that I FAILED to forsee the inevitable and place a marginal amount of money where it would have served the best.

The Hayabusa is a great motorcycle, but is dead short on proper protection in design regarding itself.

No one should stop short with JUST frame sliders! Continue on with everything that Twisted shows.

Case protectors w/ pucks ( all both sides) (FELLA'S!! YOU ARE PROTECTING YOUR CRANK HERE!!)), nylon frame sliders, nylon bar ends and last but certainly not least the swing arm/rear stand nylon protectors!!!

For whatever stroke of luck there was, I ended up with a crank that had marginally stock run-off numbers and I won't have to crack the cases.

If you think (generally speaking) you won't go down, you are either asleep in your own bed or you are as dumb as a box of rocks.

actually I saw cookies busa slidin along fer about a hunnerd foot or so,  just a sparkin up a storm. HAD HE INSTALLED NYLON EVERYWHERE! the busa may not have hit the pole as hard. you would be surprised how much faster your bike slows with nylon protectors, and how far it slides without em....
I know, when we saw that road again tonight, I couldn't believe how far my bike slide!

Back