Delrin vs Aluminum sliders

cutter

Donating Member
Registered
Sorry, I am a newb on this forum and I know the subject of frame sliders gets nauseating, but I have a question: Has anyone really bent their frame with an aluminum slider?

I searched the forum extensively, and found a lot of theoretical advantages of delrin, that it can absorb the impact and not transmit it to the frame. I wonder though if it absorbs the impact, it has to deform, and wouldn't it be more likely to crack the fairing? I suppose a cracked fairing is better than a bent frame.

I just installed a nice polished aluminum slider on the left side (still need to do the right) and now wonder whether I should get delrin.

Hoping those who have put their sliders to use can weigh in with their experiences.

Thanks

Well my experience with aluminum is that is very soft and usually will not break, it will just erode off, lack of words to describe, and delrin will do the same. Both are pretty strong. Either way they will need to be replaced if dropped. I am designing a no cut frame slider right now. And I am making them out of both materials depending on what people want.
biggrin.gif
And by the way they are for sale to members once I finish it.

Sorry for highjacking post

John

I finally chose a slider based on the recommendations from the owner of Motosliders.com ...while he does not make a Haybusa slider , he does make sliders for SV650s and they sell well. Guys have high sided on them and they have survived.

Now get this...they are not made of Delrin, the guy @ Motosliders does not think Delrin is the best material for a slider.

I asked him about composite sliders as well (ones with aluminum bases and a screw on slider...these are the worst!)

I will just quote what he said to me:
"Composite sliders that break: Their weak point is the fastening/interlocking method of the 2 materials. I made the Delrin on the swingarm sliders thick so that it wouldn't crack off, and have a totally different style of composite slider than the other composite frame sliders I've seen. ALL delrin frame sliders (ie; not composite) that are shaped like a traditional slider can crack because they have too much side force on them in crashes. Also, ALL delrin sliders with no aluminum insert crack even more easily, because the force from the mounting bolt in a crash is more concentrated. Swingarm sliders don't get much side force in comparision, and I shaped the 2 pieces to minimize any potential of them separating. I've sold many pairs, and have had many crash on them. No reports of seperation or breaking.
I've seen the problems with delrin cracking. I designed around those weaknesses. That's why my frame sliders aren't made of Delrin, but a softer, more engergy absorbing material. You can lightly gouge the frame slider with your thumbnail. A lot harder to do with the swingarm slider. I used delrin on the swingarm slider because I wanted something that would wear better, becuase there's less material available to grind down."

Anyways since he does not make a Busa slider he did recommend a few that use the same material he uses (not Delrin) ... Intuitive and Lightning. I chose Lightning because they come with trim and I have heard that Intutive uses crappy bolts. The Lightnings come with grade 8.8 which are strong as hell.

Motosliders do make a swingarm slider that fits the Hayabusa though, these are made of Delrin for reasons as stated above...I bought a set.
http://www.motosliders.com/MS-2.html

Back