Frame Sliders

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
Lately I have been noticing more and more sportbikes with all kinds of sliders.

I understand that a slider is supposed to lessen the impact on your plastics. Key word lessen. In most cases your plastics will still get a blow or scrape some how.

What I really don't understand, using sliders you are effectivly reducing impact to your plastic but directing most if not all of it to your frame. In most instances around a very veneruble part.

Most sliders I have seen screw into a body mount hole. Regardless of the size of the slider I would think it would snap at the stem. So the fall causes the frame to take a blow, then the slider snaps assin' up your plastic anyway. Here's a pic. Btw, frames cost more than plastics.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082062509 -->

lt_201_2EJPG.jpg

The ones I have seen are very much like that.  The slider will bend, but I havne't seen any break.  The screws could still be removed and did not do any damage to the frame.  There was still some scraping of the plastics, covers, bar ends and possibly mirrors but not necessarily that severe.  Guess the big point about them is that by no means do they prevent any damage from happening instead they lessen the damage!  Could I live without them, maybe, but I kind of like the way the look when mounted!

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082062905 -->

DSC00406.JPG

I just can't see it. Especially on a Busa. You have to drill your plastic, and the frame is at risk. Although I have never seen it on a Busa I have seen a CBR 900RR frame crack. Also the only sliders I have seen work sometimes were the Intuitive sliders from Lockhart Phillips. They are a type of plastic that just wears down and doesen't build heat from friction. I would imagine most metal sliders are solid billit and are probably stronger than the frame, so they would hold up better before the frame got screwed. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

veneruble part
where is that"
laugh.gif

just kiddin!

I wish I had them when I bought my bike:
2nd ride, after fueling, I quickly stop put the stand and get off to tie my boots. I knee down and the bike start moving foward. I taught I was falling back. The bike finally leaned on me and hit the groung slowly. I good thing I was there to slow down the fall. If I had the frame sliders there wouldn't have been any damages. Scratched the fairing and the left engine cover,:blush:
I was soo mad. I should have left the lace dangling and caught in the chain. I would have prefered loove a boot:angry:
Anyway, I understand your point, one thing I am asking do they stick out far enough to prevent the plastics to touch the groung when you bike lean on the side?

Yes, they do. I thought I had a better pic of the front view showing the sliders, but this is all I have right now. I've got the plastics off getting ready to put my new undertail on but can provide some new ones this weekend.

DSC00394.JPG

yep...sliders will definitely save you some damage in those minor garage or parking lot tip-overs. In the event of a crash, your fairing will still recieve some damage, but at least it won't be cracked all over the place...and there shouldn't be any holes from grindin on the asphalt.

This is not to say that sliders will prevent major damage in a higher-speed crash. I think above 40mph the sliders will be toast. Someone posted a pic of their busa that low-sided at 35mph...I don't remember the name of the thread, but I know it was mebbe mid-year last year...I think.

I just put a set on yesterday, used the billet ones from 58 Cycle.

I don't have any concerns about frame damage with them. The way they mount on the Busa any impact will be transfered through the solid mounted motor to the opposite frame rail. If it  hits hard enough to damage the frame there the whole bike will have taken a heck of a hit & be toast anyway.

Here's how I located the drill point in the faring. Score a bolt that is about an inch longer than the one in the right side engine mount & cut the head off of it. Mount it in a drill press, threads in the chuck & spin it. Use a grinder & grind a point on it.
Screw it in the mount hole & let it stick out about 1/2 inch past the faring mount hole. Remount the faring & align it properly using all the  bolts. With the palm of you hand slap the faring hard where the slider bolt will go. This will center punch the faring in the exact location you need to drill. A pilot hole with a 1/8 bit from the backside then your hole saw of the correct diameter. Your faring will fit & be perfectly centered on the slider.

Note, for the left side faring remove some of the foam insulation from the area the slider will fit through & remove the glue & residue so you will be able to see the punch mark.

BTW, If you install metal or alloy ones don't touch them after a ride. They are at engine temps.

<!--EDIT|Churchkey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082129095 -->

It's hard to see in the pic but mine held up in a 70 mph low side. Ground the plastic down but did not break off. If the bike didn't flip when it got off the road, I would have minor damage...not a totaled Busa!

DSC00268.JPG

Here are some pics and install instructions

The install is not that bad once you can convince yourself to actually start cutting the hole.

Back