how long are your sliders?

thelakeshow2k

Registered
QUESTION: How long are your sliders and what is the actual length they protrude from the fairing?

i've been thinking about getting some sliders and have seen anything from 3" to 5". i just saw a set that is 5" (4" of aluminum with a 1" replaceable delrin cap) if you scratch them, just buy the replacement cap for $10. they say the longer slider might prevent even more fairing damage, etc. but i'm trying to imagine how far they would stick out??? here's the link:

5" SUZUKI GSX1300R Frame Sliders Savers Hayabusa Busa:eBay Motors (item 390050209868 end time Jun-06-09 12:29:03 PDT)

the super long ones will break off during a slide and may even snap off the corner of the frame, and tear the threads from the motor...it is best to use the shorter ones

the super long ones will break off during a slide and may even snap off the corner of the frame, and tear the threads from the motor...it is best to use the shorter ones

not if they are made of the proper material they won't.

idea of using a metal slider is ridiculous

Well, if I have done some search right. The metal ones are tougher but the don't give anything so it may present the problem of a pole vault reaction when the scrape across the ground. Due to the metal ones being tougher they may put more strain on the frame causeing it to snap. Now the non-metal ones (forgot what they are made of) they are scraped away as the slide across the ground and have a better chance of not digging in a launching the bike airborne and less tension on the frame itself. Picture a screwdriver and a crayon. You scrape the screwdriver and it is minimum damage. Now you do the the crayon and you see that the crayon material itself is rub away. Someone will get on here and explain it better but that is what I have gotten from researching the samething.

Ill try to explain in layman's terms:

Longer slider: a longer slider is going to act the same way a longer fulcrum is in a lever, which is to say its going to apply MORE twisting force at the point of attachment. As for material: the crayon/screwdriver is an excellent example for why its better to use a softer plastic like Derlyn. It will abrade away as it slides along, while the metal will not. Also, if the slider snags on something in the road, the derlyn slider is going to break somewhere along its length, most likely at the point of impact, whereas a metal one is probably going to either overstress the motor mount bolt or the motor mount itself, causing failure there. Given the choice, id rather have scratched up plastics that can be buffed and repainted than have destroyed plastics and a snapped motor mount, which is what you would run the risk of getting at a high speed lay down.

Hope that helps a little bit. PM me if you need any more info.

Back