Found my exhaust leak(s)...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
To recap, I was ridin' the busa around the driveway the other day without a helmet and discovered that I had an exhaust leak. I mentioned the leak on the board and thought it was prolly because I didn't replace the gaskets between the headers and the head exhaust ports when I installed my BDE/Hindle system. In that thread some of you (I remember grabntwist for sure, can't remember who else) said that it prolly wasn't the gaskets and suggested checkin' the spigot bolts and all the pipe joints in the exhaust.

Well I finally had time today to try and find/fix the leak. As with most busa wrenchin' projects I started by gettin' 'er nekkid.
wink.gif
After removin' the lowers I fired 'er up to listen for the leak. Well, I've got good news and bad news. Good news is that I don't have to pull the headers to put in new gaskets. She's quite as a mouse up there. Bad news is the worst and loudest leak is apparently in a seam in my Hindle can.
mad.gif
(pic included below... of course) Even worse, when I hear it without a helmet it sounds like a fuggin' Ford Pinto on steroids with a bad muffler. I'm ashamed for people to hear it when I ride.
blush.gif

I also found a very, VERY slight leak in the slip joint between the right header and collector pipe and a very slight leak between the collector pipe and the mid pipe. Couldn't hear those except when I got right up on them. Nothing a little Ultra Copper gasket gunk won't fix. Didn't put any on those joints during install since Brock's instructions didn't call for any there. Knew I should have...

Anyway, back to the worst, loudest leak. I can feel a fair amount of exhaust gas blowin' out of the seam where the titanium sleeve overlaps at the bottom of the can, right below where the mid pipe goes into it. I eliminated the possibility that it could be coming from the mid pipe/can joint by wrappin' my hand around that joint tightly. Nothin' was hittin' the inside of my hand but I could feel the exhaust gas blowin' across the back of my fingers from that joint.
drooling3.gif

This sucks. I can pull the system apart leavin' the headers on and Ultra Copper seal the slip joint leaks but I don't really know how to fix this short of fillin' this joint/seam with somethin'. Not crazy about that idea though. It'd be tough to fill it with anything that would really stay without gettin' it all over the front of the can and makin' it look like shid. Not sure how to handle this leak yet. Gonna contact Tom @ Veltune and see if he or Brock have any ideas.

Anyway, you know me... I took a picture of it. Here's the area the leak is comin' from. Gotta love those Macro close-up lenses.
biggrin.gif

exhaustleak.jpg

Damn BT...I'm sure Tom or Brock will have some suggestions, or you'll figure something clever out...

I think you just wanted to show off more pics!  
tounge.gif

Hope you get it fixed without much hassle...

Funny... my stock pipes don't have that problem....
tounge.gif

J/K at least ya knows what & where the problem is...

Fixing it should be as simple as a new can...No?

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "Hit submit before I was done."|1081203171 -->

BT, looks like you need to get a handle on your Hindle
laugh.gif
. I just looked at my Akro Evo can. It's simalar to yours, it looks like there is a type of rubber gasket sealer (I'm thinkin' permatex hi temp). I would suggest you drill the rivets in your can and lay a generous amout of permatex on. Re-rivet (doubt you'll find ti rivets, but yours look like stainless and should suffice).Don't worry about the sloppy mess that ooozzes out. Wait till its dry/set, then cut the excess off with a razor blade. Before you do this check with Tom your Veltune guy. I never dealt w/ him but he seems to be a bang up guy according to this board.

Oh yea almost forgot, check for leaks after the pipe's hot. Just be careful. You know metal likes to do that funny contract/expand thing.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081204224 -->

Funny... my stock pipes don't have that problem....  
tounge.gif

J/K at least ya knows what & where the problem is...

Fixing it should be as simple as a new can...No?
I don't think Mikey D is havin' this problem with my stock cans either!
wink.gif
I really don't see much way of fixin' it "right".

By the way, folks, if you haven't heard a busa growl through an open ended midpipe you ain't heard the busa truly talk to ya. I didn't ride 'er without the can but I just had to fire 'er up and blip the throttle a few times. Man, that was a sweet sound!
super.gif
I'd love to go up the road and go through the gears a time or two with it like that but I figure the Sheriff's telephone would melt from all the complaints I'd get. Hehehehehehehehe...
laugh.gif
I try to play nice when I'm around home and everyone knows who the idiot on the crotch rocket is!
baaa.gif

BT, looks like you need to get a handle on your Hindle
laugh.gif
. I just looked at my Akro Evo can. It's simalar to yours, it looks like there is a type of rubber gasket sealer (I'm thinkin' permatex hi temp). I would suggest you drill the rivets in your can and lay a generous amout of permatex on. Re-rivet (doubt you'll find ti rivets, but yours look like stainless and should suffice).Don't worry about the sloppy mess that ooozzes out. Wait till its dry/set, then cut the excess off with a razor blade. Before you do this check with Tom your Veltune guy. I never dealt w/ him but he seems to be a bang up guy according to this board.

Oh yea almost forgot, check for leaks after the pipe's hot. Just be careful. You know metal likes to do that funny contract/expand thing.
Hahahahahaha...
laugh.gif
Thanks for the grins, man. I needed that. Not a happy camper since findin' this leak.
wink.gif

I thought about drillin' the rivets to try and seal things up but the thing is the rivets are polished like the can. If I redo any rivets I'll have to try and carefully polish the rivet heads to match the others and the can sleeve without fuggin' up the polish job on the Ti sleeve. That'd pretty much be a beeyotch to do.
mad.gif

laugh.gif

BT, got an answer for your rivet problem. Call lockhart phillips they have a Akropovic pipe rebuild kit (packing rivets and stuff.) If I remember they have either Ti rivets or shiny a$$ stainless ones cheap to.I'll tell ya, it's nice to know that I'm not the only anal OCD type when it comes to my things.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. I've emailed Tom at Veltune to see what he says. I'm gonna wait to hear from him before I do anything to the can myself. I payed a lot for this system to have a leak in the can and have to patch it myself. Maybe Brock will take care of it. May post about it on his forum as well, if I can remember my dang log-in name/password there.
laugh.gif

I just found out from my local shop that out of the 5 hindle exhaust systems they've worked on,
every single one had a leak in it.

Take some hi-temp gasket stuff squish it in there, Then Wrap the end of your pipe with a really soft cloth, Then grab A planishing hammer and tighten that seam up! Whakity Whak Whak... If that doesn't work, just buy a bigger hammer...
smile.gif

Take some hi-temp gasket stuff squish it in there, Then Wrap the end of your pipe with a really soft cloth, Then grab A planishing hammer and tighten that seam up! Whakity Whak Whak... If that doesn't work, just buy a bigger hammer...
smile.gif
So you're sayin' if YOU paid damned near a grand for a top of the line exhaust system and had less than 400 miles on it you'd fix a leak in the can by beatin' the hell out of it with a hammer?
rock.gif
I know you intended a little humor in yer reply, I'm just sayin'...

I also forgot to mention in my original post here that today when I really started listenin' to the system for leaks, it sounds like there's also some sort of rattle inside the can like metal to metal vibration or somethin'. I'm wonderin' if somethin' has came loose inside.
rock.gif

I've posted to Brock's forum as well. He's got a reputation for takin' care of his customers. I guess I'll see if it's true. What sucks is that I also got the Glow Job on my can. If the can is replaced the new one will have to be polished, too.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081206664 -->

rock.gif

Sorry to hear about your problem BT, but if it is any comfort to you, everything I,ve heared about Tom is positive, I think he,ll take care of the problem.

smile.gif
So you're sayin' if YOU paid damned near a grand for a top of the line exhaust system and had less than 400 miles on it you'd fix a leak in the can by beatin' the hell out of it with a hammer?
rock.gif
I know you intended a little humor in yer reply, I'm just sayin'...

I also forgot to mention in my original post here that today when I really started listenin' to the system for leaks, it sounds like there's also some sort of rattle inside the can like metal to metal vibration or somethin'. I'm wonderin' if somethin' has came loose inside.
rock.gif

I've posted to Brock's forum as well. He's got a reputation for takin' care of his customers. I guess I'll see if it's true. What sucks is that I also got the Glow Job on my can. If the can is replaced the new one will have to be polished, too.
Don't feel to bad. My system retails for 1495. and one of my spring loops were welded in the wrong spot on my headers. One call fixed the problem but damn you'd figure quality control would catch that sh*t. Well good luck.

rock.gif

Sorry to hear about your problem BT, but if it is any comfort to you, everything I,ve heared about Tom is positive, I think he,ll take care of the problem.
Yeah, Tom is great, but I don't really think it's Tom's problem. I think it's Brock Performance's problem since Tom is just a retailer. On a positive note though, from what I've seen on the net, Brock also has a good reputation for takin' care of his customers. The only hitch I see here is that my can is Glow Job polished by Tom. I doubt Brock is gonna wanna cover havin' that done to the replacement can. Wouldn't be fair for Tom to eat that. Not fair for me to eat it either. The can is defective. Not my fault and certainly not Tom's fault...
rock.gif

Damn, BT. I'm really sorry to hear about that. I'm sure things will sort themselves out in a jiffy....and you'll be back in the saddle blastin' away with Da 'Train.

I'm it'll all turn out well.

Damn, BT. I'm really sorry to hear about that. I'm sure things will sort themselves out in a jiffy....and you'll be back in the saddle blastin' away with Da 'Train.

I'm it'll all turn out well.
Let's hope it's taken care of quickly. The weather was fuggin' awesome here today and I didn't get to ride because I found this crap instead of finding only quick fixable leaks! I was gonna fix 'er and ride to Cheaha this afternoon. Now she's on the Pit Bulls in a buncha pieces until I see what Brock's gonna do.
mad.gif

BT what is the sorta splatter stuff in the top right of your pic?
also what color is the inside of the exhaust tip? just wondering if they all are abit on the rich side, i read a few posts that some were abit rich, I installed my Gen3 this weekend but not completely finished yet

Back