Ford EcoBoost Engines...Thoughts?

Silent Shogun

Registered
I have been looking into getting a new truck and I keep hearing alot about the new EcoBoost engine. A V6 with twin turbos that gets V6 gas mileage, but makes Top HP and Torque similar to a V8. Has anyone picked one of these up yet? I have been hearing alot of positive reviews on it, but nothing from someone who owns one. I think the new engine accounts for something like 33% of new Ford Truck sales now.

I know it is not a truck, but just to show the technology that is coming out, take a look at the new Kia Optima turbo. The reason why I am comparing the two is due to the drive train similarities. I was at the airport last night and was surprised to see the Kia had 247 HP due to a turbo V-6, but was still rated at 31 MPG on the highway and 22 in the city.

The car manufacturers are starting to get the picture that power and economy are what we are looking for. Keep us posted on your research on the new Ford.

I think Blanca has some insight into things of this nature when it comes to Ford, maybe shoot him a PM and reference this thread.

Hmmm....petrol turbos have a nasty habit of blowing up if they're not looked after properly, so two of them on one engine could be twice as much trouble.

As long as you're running a turbo-timer, you should be OK. (I still have people ask me "What's that?" when they see the t-t on my Hilux.)

Silent I drive them and sell them every day. Max torque at 1500rpms.
It will boil the tires if you want. It will also pull a house down. Remember the Eco Boost in the truck is not new but just different from the one they have had in the Taurus, Flex, Mkt and Mkx. The Eco Boost in the truck has different heads as well for better torque. Along with the new truck itself inside and out they are selling themselves. It is amazing to see hardcore traditional 'truck guys' wanting a V6. Chevy and Dodge are scratching their heads right now.

You think that's cool wait till you see the Focus ST eco boost (6spd manual 250hp)

Hmmm....petrol turbos have a nasty habit of blowing up if they're not looked after properly, so two of them on one engine could be twice as much trouble.

As long as you're running a turbo-timer, you should be OK. (I still have people ask me "What's that?" when they see the t-t on my Hilux.)

Rainbow Ford has been using the Eco Boost for a few years now. I've yet to hear of one 'blowing up'?

Rainbow Ford has been using the Eco Boost for a few years now. I've yet to hear of one 'blowing up'?

Good to know, although I was talking about turbos in general, many of which I have seen destroyed by careless operation/lack of maintenance.

Zero turbo lag. Right off the bat. Max torque at 1500rpm.

Cool. Turbo lag is something that not many companies seem to get right. My wife's 2010 VW Polo takes off like a rocket...after you've had the pedal on the floor for about three seconds. Before that, it just creeps. It's annoying and, IMO, dangerous.

Good to know, although I was talking about turbos in general, many of which I have seen destroyed by careless operation/lack of maintenance.

They've got it figured out. If it was a sports car I don't think they(ford) would have put so much thinking into it. But since it's a truck it has to be able to take all anyone can throw at it. Work truck, fun offroader, towing a 25ft boat, whatever I think it will do it fine. I've probably sold at least a dozen of them since they first hit the lot in January. All are still happy.

There slick motors. I was talking to a salesmen friend of mine for a ford dealership. He said that it is a little more then the v8, but has 2000 lb more towing capacity, and better horsepower and torque then the 5.0. The 6.2 in the raptor has the most horsepower and torque, but way more expensive. Im waiting for the eco boost in the fiesta and wishfull thinking for the 3 door to come to the U.S.

Yeah, the Ford trucks do seem to have a pretty good all-around reputation.
I once got into an F350 and turned the A/C on. - It was like being in a blast-freezer!

Ford sells quite a lot of them here, but I'm damned if I know who buys them. They must be mostly for mining/construction/farming, because I've almost never seen any in the city.

turbo timers can be over rated, only use is for when u really run the vehicle hard, to give turbo time to cool, normal driving, just let car run for about 15 sec or so before you turn it off, they are nice though.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not too concerned about short term with them. I don't believe Ford would have put the time into them if they were going to Screw up right out of the gate. I am a little concerned about long term 100k+ miles on the engine. That has got to be hard on an engine putting out that much power. With proper maintenance though I hope it wont be to big of a problem.

Anyone know what the new MPG standards are for trucks once they take effect in 2014? I think it is like 30 mpg for light trucks. That will probably start killing the resale value of some of these trucks coming out now.

I've been really tossing around the idea of trading in my car for a truck due to pure functionality.... but 17/23 I can't get passed that for mileage. Especially with gas creeping into the $4 range. :(

The eco boost tech has been a while in development, can't wait for some sports cars to get direct cylinder injection. the only thing I see that I would want to know how long it will last is the injector pump or whatever they are using to best the cylinder pressures.
Posted via Mobile Device

Best, most expensive pick up I have owned. When you lay into it.... hang on..:thumbsup:

Back