For all those wondering about a fuel add-on

Hey who said anything about arguing? Did you see me posting anything bashing anyone's product or service?

The "sponsors" jumped in attacking me on this one. Hell, I just posted a thread about how I came about my decision.

I sure didn't ask to be attacked, but that seems to be the theme lately with anyone who posts a product other than the god al' mighty ECU flash. :whistle:

Hmmm, Smiths first entry was a question, not an attack. His second entry was advice, not an attack, not a downplay on your purchase. It truly sounds like you made a purchase without doing the homework, but if it makes you happy, who cares? Does it REALLY make you happy?

Smith,

I have seen a million threads that you hijack with this BS. One of the largest issues I have with the ECU flash, is that the MEAT of the system, the software is FREE.

So as a sponsor you get to parade a 200 dollar box that probably cost you about 15 bucks to make, and you profit from it. Mind you that a sticky on another well known Hayabusa forum, walked you through making the damn box :snap: Something about that ain't right.

So what is the difference between shooting more fuel through the lower injectors to compensate for the upper? They all go the same place right? Into the combustion chamber.

I wasn't going to post anything, but before you come attacking me when I said nothing about your "product", I have no idea. I state again, THERE IS NO NEED FOR A GOD DAMN FULL DYNO TUNE for someone that just adds a pipe for christ sakes. Do you think that same fellow is going to be going over 186 miles per hour and modifying his timing? Get a grip man.

So before you get your panties in a wad because you missed out on another sucker for 200 bucks, you can step the f back.

I like this place and it is one of the best forums I have ever been on, SUPER overall members, but this BS pisses me off to no end. Every thread someone posts a question like this "WELL that is stupid, you need the ECU flash and oh by the way, did I mention I make 200 bucks off it?"

Well, what does him making a profit have to do with anything, really ?
Not sure what you do for a living, but if you work for a company, they are also making a profit, enough profit to keep you gainfully employed with a pay scale good enough to help you buy a toy and splurge a little on it.

Quite honestly, I think its good for everybody that sponsors or builders jump into threads if they can help you and point out how a certain product will benefit you or your situation, as long as its backed up with data or facts. Lighten up already, jeez.

Well, what does him making a profit have to do with anything, really ?
Not sure what you do for a living, but if you work for a company, they are also making a profit, enough profit to keep you gainfully employed with a pay scale good enough to help you buy a toy and splurge a little on it.

Quite honestly, I think its good for everybody that sponsors or builders jump into threads if they can help you and point out how a certain product will benefit you or your situation, as long as its backed up with data or facts. Lighten up already, jeez.

I agree with you, it is good when they try to help. However, I bet you anything that if you go look up threads with bazzaz, pcv, or any other fuel tuner that you will see the thread hijack of how terrible they are and you must have the ECU flash. Just gets old. Yea, inform us, tell us about it and let us make our own decision.

To the other poster, I researched for weeks. If the PC-V doesn't fit the bill, I will buy something else, no big deal.

I agree with you, it is good when they try to help. However, I bet you anything that if you go look up threads with bazzaz, pcv, or any other fuel tuner that you will see the thread hijack of how terrible they are and you must have the ECU flash. Just gets old. Yea, inform us, tell us about it and let us make our own decision.

To the other poster, I researched for weeks. If the PC-V doesn't fit the bill, I will buy something else, no big deal.

I hope the PCV works well for you. However, the flash does what you want, for less. In addition, it always has the capability to do more than a PC..........

Yea Daniel, judging from this email from you, you know a lot about everything :rofl:

Yoshimura, the NAME in Suzuki exhausts, but according to you they are junk. Junk because I bought it 400 dollars cheaper than you quoted me. :snap:

As I told you in the first email, there was NO budget. I wanted you to quote me prices, something you wouldn't do unless I told you how much I wanted to spend. That screams scam artist.

I never say anything in a pm that I would not let the world know regardless who you are..Call it what you like my friend,I sleep very well at night knowing I'm a fair honest person by day.... See my Signature :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I hope the PCV works well for you. However, the flash does what you want, for less. In addition, it always has the capability to do more than a PC..........

If there isn't a capable tuner in your area that can do the flash, wouldn't it be better to go with a FMS that a tuner can use. I think that is the biggest hangup with using the flash. I do not trust any tuners around here to "try" to get it right. I am not comfortable enough to do the changes myself. Personally I would be looking at least at a 6 or 7 hour drive to Johnnycheese to even get to a tuner. More than likely if I do the Texas Mile next March I will leave a few days early and have him tune it then.

+1 GoldenChild is a very honest person, all of my business will be going to him. Also thanks for all your help with my bike. :thumbsup:
I never say anything in a pm that I would not let the world know regardless who you are..Call it what you like my friend,I sleep very well at night knowing I'm a fair honest person by day.... See my Signature :thumbsup:

Faced with a similar choice as 'jpowell490', I elected to go with the ECU flash. I did it the poor man's way, and used a map from a lightly modified bike (similar to my setup) versus dyno-tuning. So far, things seem to have worked ok. I took a little chance I suppose, expecting the map to work well enough, but it appears (after several hundred miles) to have worked fine. My 'gauge' is that the pipes have not blued, and the low-speed 'surge' is gone. Pretty scientific, huh?

All the 'fuel-adders' have their advantages, and disadvantages. There are fanatics for each, and die-hard haters of each. Personally, after a lot of research, I was convinced that any of the three solutions being discussed, i.e., BAZZAZ, PC-V (or III), and 'Flashing' would have worked for my application (Yosh R-77's, and a K&N filter). I chose the least expensive route. Also, it was the method I was familiar with, having done something similar with my Harley at one point. Also, personally, I didn't want additional hardware on the bike, and I kind of liked the idea of removing the speed restriction so that any time I feel like it, I can exceed 186 MPH...(Ok, so I'm making that last desire up.)

As for the 'worth' of something, I heard somewhere that at today's prices, the 'components' of the human body are worth less than two-hundred bucks. The point being, things have an intrinsic value, separate and apart from their 'retail' price.

One thing that does intrigue me about the PC-V is the 'auto-tune' add-on. That just about sold me on the PC-V. In fact, it's the factor I wrestled with, several months, before finally deciding to flash. (Meanwhile I left the baffles in the cans, and didn't install the K&N).

BTW, for those who might not have dealt with smithabusa, he showed himself to me to be an honest, diligent guy. If he's omnipresent in these threads, it's because he's a true believer in the flashing method, versus all the others. Sure he'd like to sell you an interface. Nothing wrong with that. And in my opinion, you'd be smart to buy one from him. (I don't know anything about Greg other than what I've read by him here and elsewhere, and what I learned after a half-dozen e-mails, and purchasing an ECU flash-interface from him. We don't owe each other money, have any common business interests, etc. I'm just a satisfied customer).

Last edited:
BTW, for those who might not have dealt with smithabusa, he showed himself to me to be an honest, diligent guy. If he's omnipresent in these threads, it's because he's a true believer in the flashing method, versus all the others. Sure he'd like to sell you an interface. Nothing wrong with that. And in my opinion, you'd be smart to buy one from him. (I don't know anything about Greg other than what I've read by him here and elsewhere, and what I learned after a half-dozen e-mails, and purchasing an ECU flash-interface from him. We don't owe each other money, have any common business interests, etc. I'm just a satisfied customer).

Very well said~!~

I like the ECU flash, still have the PCV with Auto tune installed. What can I add next?

BTW-ECU editor rocks!

Faced with a similar choice as 'jpowell490', I elected to go with the ECU flash. I did it the poor man's way, and used a map from a lightly modified bike (similar to my setup) versus dyno-tuning. So far, things seem to have worked ok. I took a little chance I suppose, expecting the map to work well enough, but it appears (after several hundred miles) to have worked fine. My 'gauge' is that the pipes have not blued, and the low-speed 'surge' is gone. Pretty scientific, huh?

All the 'fuel-adders' have their advantages, and disadvantages. There are fanatics for each, and die-hard haters of each. Personally, after a lot of research, I was convinced that any of the three solutions being discussed, i.e., BAZZAZ, PC-V (or III), and 'Flashing' would have worked for my application (Yosh R-77's, and a K&N filter). I chose the least expensive route. Also, it was the method I was familiar with, having done something similar with my Harley at one point. Also, personally, I didn't want additional hardware on the bike, and I kind of liked the idea of removing the speed restriction so that any time I feel like it, I can exceed 186 MPH...(Ok, so I'm making that last desire up.)

As for the 'worth' of something, I heard somewhere that at today's prices, the 'components' of the human body are worth less than two-hundred bucks. The point being, things have an intrinsic value, separate and apart from their 'retail' price.

One thing that does intrigue me about the PC-V is the 'auto-tune' add-on. That just about sold me on the PC-V. In fact, it's the factor I wrestled with, several months, before finally deciding to flash. (Meanwhile I left the baffles in the cans, and didn't install the K&N).

Alans,

I couldn't agree with you more. I also had the Screamin' Eagle SERT on my Harley. It worked well and I never had an issue either with self tuning. I have no doubt the ECU flash probably is the way to go, much more flexible.

For the record, I have no issue with Smithabusa or anything he sells. The part that burnt me was all these threads with questions, the PC-V and Bazzaz, are immediately classified as junk and directed to the Flash. Would I buy from him? Sure and have no issues about doing so, but let me decide that, not stuff it down my throat every thread.

Hey, I have had bad experiences in the past with a PCIII. For all I know, I may get the V and it stink too, who knows. I just did what I needed to at the point and time. I don't plan on doing a lot of tuning or anything of that nature at this point.

I understand the flash, I have worked extensively on the SERT, and could probably tune a bike by the seat of the pants to be very very close to a dyno. <--boy will I get attacked for that statement :laugh:

But, it was all out of convenience. If the flash is what you are after, go for it.

Good luck Outlaw on that autotune. It intrigues me as well and something I may add down the road.

Thanks, I actually like the PCV better than the PCIII, I just need to understand it more...the directions are massively vague on the trims tables and it seems no one has had much experience in the area just yet...might be well known information in a couple months.

I need to make sure I'm on base for the next LSR event in a few weeks (last time I just loaded a rich map to be on the safe side but ran slow).
Trying like hell to not have to be dependent on taking it to a dyno since the closest one now (that I would trust (that translates to anything other than the harley shop :laugh:))is a few hours away.

Last edited:
Alans,

I couldn't agree with you more. I also had the Screamin' Eagle SERT on my Harley. It worked well and I never had an issue either with self tuning. I have no doubt the ECU flash probably is the way to go, much more flexible.

For the record, I have no issue with Smithabusa or anything he sells. The part that burnt me was all these threads with questions, the PC-V and Bazzaz, are immediately classified as junk and directed to the Flash. Would I buy from him? Sure and have no issues about doing so, but let me decide that, not stuff it down my throat every thread.

Hey, I have had bad experiences in the past with a PCIII. For all I know, I may get the V and it stink too, who knows. I just did what I needed to at the point and time. I don't plan on doing a lot of tuning or anything of that nature at this point.

I understand the flash, I have worked extensively on the SERT, and could probably tune a bike by the seat of the pants to be very very close to a dyno. <--boy will I get attacked for that statement :laugh:

But, it was all out of convenience. If the flash is what you are after, go for it.

Good luck Outlaw on that autotune. It intrigues me as well and something I may add down the road.

jpowell490,

i think your missing the whole point on the ecu flash. the fact is you don't
HAVE to buy the stuff from smith. if you go to a local tuner that tunes with ECU flash, they already have the items needed. the only thing you would pay for is the tune. without a custom tune with the PCV you are doing no better than running with the stock program.

I personally think the ECU flash is a great way to go, my friend tofas2C is learning quite a bit about this method...and he surely will be quite independent on mapping his bike that way.

I am just intrigued with learning the new PCV software and getting this sorted out...yes you have to spend much more this way and add a few extra boxes so it has it's downside, I just feel it a personal goal to attempt to figure it out more.

Hopefully nothing will blow up in the process~!~ :whistle:

Back