For all those wondering about a fuel add-on

jpowell490

Registered
Hey All,

As some of you remember I was struggling with the decision of whether to add a PC-V, Bazzaz, or the ECU flash for my 08 with the full Yosh RS-3 exhaust system. I had heard that the stock system would compensate for the new exhaust and I kinda figured that would be the case.

I rode to work today, only about the 2nd day I have gotten to ride it from the rain we are having here. At lunch I noticed the exit of the pipe was white and gray, not the nice dark to brown you want to see coming from a properly tuned bike. That did it for me, I took it home, parked it and ordered the PC-V.

The reasoning behind the PC-V vs. all the others? Well they had a map for my exact set up for one. For two, the map is compensated to adjust for anything over 7k RPM when the other 4 injectors kick in. They tell me it is good for anything up to 230 hp or so. Don't think I am making that much :rofl:so that should be just fine.

I wanted to go with the Bazzaz, but one they did not have it in stock and I am impatient. Two, there are really no maps for it at this point, not sure why, but they don't have any. Is one really any better than the other? Probably if you have a highly modified bike, but not on a stock or slightly modified system I don't think.

The ECU flashing is very cool stuff, but really overkill for what I wanted and I don't feel the need for a full dyno tune for just adding an exhaust system. Hell, I just want to ride and make sure they bike is not running lean.

I will post any results, differences, thoughts once it gets here and I have a chance to install and ride it.

Will do, I definitely thought about that, but I bought it from Fuel Moto and they already had a map custom dyno'd to my set up. So that kind of takes the guess work out of it. I know elevation, etc, etc, will play a role, but hopefully not that much.

If it does I will buy the auto tune. I hear the PC-V is much better than the III and I am praying it is because the III I dealt with was a POS. :moon:

For two, the map is compensated to adjust for anything over 7k RPM when the other 4 injectors kick in. They tell me it is good for anything up to 230 hp or so. Don't think I am making that much :rofl:so that should be just fine.

what in the world does that mean?

I am just making sure people don't think they can do any mods on their bike up to 230 hp and the map automatically compensates for it.

The PCV only controls 1 set of injectors, which if installed on the lower injectors you can control fueling from idle to redline, but in order to get fuel increases and decreases above 7000 rpm you have to use monster numbers in the tables becuase the lower injectors are actually providing very little (20% actually) of the total fuel flow for the bike).

And not to turn this into a ECU flashing thread, but just for the record, an ecu flashing setup is cheaper than both PCV and Bazzaz, and obviously can do lots more.

Have fun and enjoy the bike, for your mods PCV should work just fine :)

Last edited:
Smith,

I have seen a million threads that you hijack with this BS. One of the largest issues I have with the ECU flash, is that the MEAT of the system, the software is FREE.

So as a sponsor you get to parade a 200 dollar box that probably cost you about 15 bucks to make, and you profit from it. Mind you that a sticky on another well known Hayabusa forum, walked you through making the damn box :snap: Something about that ain't right.

So what is the difference between shooting more fuel through the lower injectors to compensate for the upper? They all go the same place right? Into the combustion chamber.

I wasn't going to post anything, but before you come attacking me when I said nothing about your "product", I have no idea. I state again, THERE IS NO NEED FOR A GOD DAMN FULL DYNO TUNE for someone that just adds a pipe for christ sakes. Do you think that same fellow is going to be going over 186 miles per hour and modifying his timing? Get a grip man.

So before you get your panties in a wad because you missed out on another sucker for 200 bucks, you can step the f back.

I like this place and it is one of the best forums I have ever been on, SUPER overall members, but this BS pisses me off to no end. Every thread someone posts a question like this "WELL that is stupid, you need the ECU flash and oh by the way, did I mention I make 200 bucks off it?" :moon:

My apologies that I have upset you, was just trying to make sure that folks not technically up on FI stuff didn't think that the statement you wrote meant the bike would magically map itself up to 230 hp.

You are absolutely correct the software is free, petrik is an awesome guy with insane skills and knowledge, and he gives it away completely free of charge.

I have never hid that fact that i wasn't the first to build a flashing interface, and have never said I invented it. I did follow prints that are posted for the world to use / see and made it into something nice and clean that a lot of people would never build themselves or try it on their own if I wasn't making it. I asked permission more than 1 person prior to building them and donating money to DaveO's family etc.

I offer a lot of tech support, make videos, instructions etc, and try to help out folks the best I can. Since they only cost $15 to make, could you build me 1000 of them, would love for that to be the parts cost, but sadly its much much higher than that.

To insinuate I am only out there to get org members money is insulting, but we are all allowed our own opinions.

Again my apologies to you, and anyone else if I have upset over ECU Flashing etc, that was surely never my intention, nor my intention to become rich off of you as well.

If you are just looking to tune the bike for a pipe and thats it for sure PCV will do the job :)

Greg

Last edited:
Um correction, you can build the hardware yourself, and Smithabusa never marketed himself a monopoly. The instructions to build one are online. Greg meerly put together a kit to make it easy for most folks, so a thanks to him and Petrik for evangelizing this new technology. I built my own flash box. Its simple. Like Greg, I would like others would-be "tuners" to consider flashing before wasting much more than $200 on a very limited controller. I just sold all my old Power Commander hardware on Ebay this week for $400. It was the best solution in 2008, but it has many limitations and had to go. Sounds like you already made your decision, but others should consider all options.

Whatever.....

The 230hp was meant in the context of, "you can add enough fuel through the lower 4 injectors to compensate for up to 230 hp" The upper ones still are doing their job.

Is that factual? I have no clue, just stating what I was told.

Draco, I never bashed the ECU flash on here, not once. I simply stated it was overkill for my situation and it is. If that is the route others want to take, by all means, it is a very adjustable system no doubt.

I think I read somewhere that 1 power commander will support up to 230hp if you go over that then you would need to run 2 PC. To each his own I went PCIII It worked fine on my other bike so thats what I went with I did not learn of the ECU flash until after I ordered all my goodies. Everyone has their preferences and opinions. Its an internet forum sometimes things don't come out the way you mean them to. Let us know how things go remember wee all here to help each other. If it wasn't for that there would be a pitbull stand thrown through my neighbors window :laugh:

FUEL MOTO :rofl: THE AUTOBAHN OF TUNING to a engine melt down.. we'll be waiting for a post starting like this in less than a year:

My bike is low on power after 6 months what should I do?

I'll make a response saying prepare for a rebuild and custom dyno tune... :rofl:

Last edited:
the info on how to build one can be linked to from gregs site....

if it takes him an hour to build one, show me a shop that doesnt charge 80+ an hour, and you get software for free, not mention all the other boxes that can be saved, if you need to control the uppers ever, add another pcv, then the timing unit, then the kill box, then map switching hub, yea those nice guys at DJ sell them for what it costs to make them:whistle:

FUEL MOTO :rofl: THE AUTOBAHN OF TUNING to a engine melt down.. we'll be waiting for a post starting like this in less than a year:

My bike is low on power after 6 months what should I do?

I'll make a response saying prepare for a rebuild and custom dyno tune... :rofl:

Yea Daniel, judging from this email from you, you know a lot about everything :rofl:

from Daniel <cloudninemotorsports@comcast.net>
reply-to Daniel <cloudninemotorsports@comcast.net>
to Jason from Daniel <cloudninemotorsports@comcast.net>
reply-to Daniel <cloudninemotorsports@comcast.net>
to Jason Powell <jpowell490@gmail.com>
date Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM
subject Re: Exhaust Price
mailed-by comcast.net

hide details Apr 10

Honestly it's one of the worst systems out there I try my best not to sell any yoshi stuff period.. Most folks don't have a clue what they buying exhaust what they are actually buying...hp/performance per dollar yosh is like kraco to alpine when compared to other systems on the market... Budgets are usually the reason folks choose yosh, glad you found something in your budget...safe riding.

Yoshimura, the NAME in Suzuki exhausts, but according to you they are junk. Junk because I bought it 400 dollars cheaper than you quoted me. :snap:

As I told you in the first email, there was NO budget. I wanted you to quote me prices, something you wouldn't do unless I told you how much I wanted to spend. That screams scam artist.

Last edited:
My ecu flashing and dyno tune only cost me $225.00 and now I have the map for MY bike, I think thats a little cheaper than a pcv, and a whole lot more reliable, plus the benefit of removing all the restrictions..:beerchug:

Boy I can see where this is going :popcorn:

J/K
Look getting in a pissing match with the sponsors not a good idea looks real immature.Same goes for the sponsors lets get back on track :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I would go with Boost By Smith. He is a gentleman, offers advice even if he didn't sell you something and is very up to date with the latest technology. There IS a difference between someone who does what he does because of the true interest and problem solving and someone who does it for the money. I believe we have the best sponsors a forum can have, they do what they do because they like what they do...........

Last edited:
I also think that the ECU flashing is the best way to go if you want the MOST you can get out of your bike. Not everyone is looking for it all....some settle for "good enough". I went with the Bazzaz only because there wasn't any ECU tuners in this area. I don't think jumping down smithabusa's throat was necessary.... I have read many of his posts and he is here for all of us.

Hey who said anything about arguing? Did you see me posting anything bashing anyone's product or service?

The "sponsors" jumped in attacking me on this one. Hell, I just posted a thread about how I came about my decision.

I sure didn't ask to be attacked, but that seems to be the theme lately with anyone who posts a product other than the god al' mighty ECU flash. :whistle:

Back