Fogging headlight

Busarider007

Registered
Has anyone experienced fogging headlights? Mine fogged half the lens one evening and then cleared.
Is it common due to outside temp change (moisture) or manufacturing defect?

Probably just due to temperature. Check the seals on the bulbs to make sure they are seated well

Don't think I would worry about a one time thing. If it happens on a regular basis I would push the issue.

It's under warranty but Suzuki says that it's only condensation and not a defect ???

I'de take it back and demand it be fixed.
It's not normal. If you buy a new bike, you don't want the headlight fogging up inside. Obviously it can make the already bad headlights a little worse, but it just looks bad...and on a new/newer bike that's still under warranty.
The fact is, most dealerships really suck and don't want to do anything more than they have to.
I've ridden ALL my bikes many times in 100% humidity, dense fog, all temperatures, ect., and I've never had a headlight fog.
The light housing itself simply isn't sealed properly.
If it wasn't under warranty, I'de bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes on the lowest setting.
That won't harmm the light, but it will soften the plastic just enough to pop it apart without damaging it.
After it cooled I'de put it back together with a thin bead of clear or black silicone.
Best of luck getting it fixed.

I'de take it back and demand it be fixed.
It's not normal. If you buy a new bike, you don't want the headlight fogging up inside. Obviously it can make the already bad headlights a little worse, but it just looks bad...and on a new/newer bike that's still under warranty.
The fact is, most dealerships really suck and don't want to do anything more than they have to.
I've ridden ALL my bikes many times in 100% humidity, dense fog, all temperatures, ect., and I've never had a headlight fog.
The light housing itself simply isn't sealed properly.
If it wasn't under warranty, I'de bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes on the lowest setting.
That won't harmm the light, but it will soften the plastic just enough to pop it apart without damaging it.
After it cooled I'de put it back together with a thin bead of clear or black silicone.
Best of luck getting it fixed.

^^this!!!!

That's exactly what I plan to do, they sent me some bs info re. clouding...

image001.jpg

image005.jpg

If the temp outside has high humidity & moisture in the air. In my case we have been having these temps lately.
Maybe I'm wrong and water is condensating inside the lens.

I live in SC surrounded by water ways and swamps the average RH is 100%, for the last three or four years I've put more miles on the Busa in the rain than in the dry.

What you described shouldn't cause the issue. Condensate is created by huge temp differences ( cold beer sitting at room temp ) so I'm thinking you need the lamp assembly(s) reseated, maybe they left a gasket off, mistakes happen, or an entire headlamp assembly because it's not properly sealed IDK.

I've had an '06 and an '08 and have put 109K miles on between the two of them. Back in 2006 I wouldn't ride in wet conditions. Yes I might get caught in them, but in the last three years it's rained practically every day and I just started riding in the wet.

There's days I do out in the garage to go ride and the bike is covered in water from just sitting in the garage almost like my bike was left out over night in the dew. I hate it for you but you might have to put your foot down with the dealer. I have a great dealer, they love warranty work. Not all dealers are like that.

I have been riding my other '99 for over 10 yrs in rain, freezing cold, heat and never experienced this problem, so I'm going to go back to the dealer.

It's not the dealer that doesn't want to do the job, it's Suzuki trying to avoid covering it. The dealer sent me this info from Suzuki.

I've bought 3 new Busas. I have a strange relief when they are out of warranty so I can just fix them myself and avoid the warranty hassle. Suzuki really doesn't like to do warranty I've learned.

Mine fogs up halfway when its really cold out,disappears when it cools down but never does it in mild or hot condition

Back