FNG sounding off!

captainmarko

Registered
Greetings one and all! Long time rider. Multiple IBA rides. Current R1200RT owner. Always wanted a Busa and I've been looking for months. Actually went out and touched one at a dealer today.

That didn't help. As good as they look in photos, they are drop dead gorgeous in person. Currently in love with the gray/silver, although I wish ALL of the bike companies would get over their black wheel fetish.

Anyway, probably going to be a few months before I pull the trigger. Just thought I would pop my head up and see what the Busa Gods have to say about what's what.

And this is in ADDITION to the RT, which I will never sell. Paid for and I love that bike. Just want something with a different spirit.

Soooooo....where's the best buy on a new one? Should I wait for the 2021? Those pics look beautiful. Should I buy used instead? I'm mechanically inclined and have a lift, tire changer, wheel balancer, and plenty of tools. I wouldn't be averse to finding a good deal on a low mileage Gen 2 and rebuilding it.

Attack at will. Any input is appreciated.

Peace.

Welcome to the forum!

Have a look around. Upload pics of your RT.

I mean, who doesn't want to find a clean used Busa?? Especially if you're inclined to wrenching. That being said, all the Gen I owners swear that's the best Gen. I own a Gen II and swear that's the best Gen. Many here will ask what your intentions are with the bike. That helps to determine which Gen might suit you best. Canyons? 1/4? Touring (you mentioned IBA)? One of the strengths of the Hayabusa platform is its versatility, and no matter which direction you head, there will be someone on this forum who has been there, knows the milestones along that route. Feel free to use the SEARCH function on this site. Might help you zero in on that direction.

A new Suzuki is always a good decision; dealers often complicate that path. I'm not set up to swap pistons or cams, but if you are, then you'll also probably know a good used bike when you see it.

Personally, I'd rather do the mods myself, rather than buying a modded one. Otherwise I'd have to check the mods were done right.

You'll want to upgrade the brake components no matter which Gen

At this writing, there is no data to suggest waiting for a '21 would make a difference. Current production Busas do not have electronics. That's likely to change ... soon IMO, so you might wait to see if Suzuki do that.

Why do you want a 1300+cc bike that weighs 500+ lbs? I have my reasons, what are yours?

Good luck with your future purchase!

If your into IBA try to find my bike recently traded in/ auction to Dallas area . It was set up for IBA minus aux fuel tank.
Welcome. And just google Busawing .
IBA #71825

20201002_095311.jpg

Greetings one and all! Long time rider. Multiple IBA rides. Current R1200RT owner. Always wanted a Busa and I've been looking for months. Actually went out and touched one at a dealer today.

That didn't help. As good as they look in photos, they are drop dead gorgeous in person. Currently in love with the gray/silver, although I wish ALL of the bike companies would get over their black wheel fetish.

Anyway, probably going to be a few months before I pull the trigger. Just thought I would pop my head up and see what the Busa Gods have to say about what's what.

And this is in ADDITION to the RT, which I will never sell. Paid for and I love that bike. Just want something with a different spirit.

Soooooo....where's the best buy on a new one? Should I wait for the 2021? Those pics look beautiful. Should I buy used instead? I'm mechanically inclined and have a lift, tire changer, wheel balancer, and plenty of tools. I wouldn't be averse to finding a good deal on a low mileage Gen 2 and rebuilding it.

Peace.

Welcome to the forum!

Have a look around. Upload pics of your RT.

I mean, who doesn't want to find a clean used Busa?? Especially if you're inclined to wrenching. That being said, all the Gen I owners swear that's the best Gen. I own a Gen II and swear that's the best Gen. Many here will ask what your intentions are with the bike. That helps to determine which Gen might suit you best. Canyons? 1/4? Touring (you mentioned IBA)?
Realistically, probably a lot of commuting, and some day rides. No drag racing. Touring will probably remain the realm of the RT. It is built for that and exceeds at it. I'm in Vegas so once you get out of town, there is a WHOLE LOT of nothing and some excellent opportunities to safely accelerate, which I would like to enjoy.
Personally, I'd rather do the mods myself, rather than buying a modded one. Otherwise I'd have to check the mods were done right.

You'll want to upgrade the brake components no matter which Gen
Yeah, I've always bought new. Mostly because I want to break the engine in properly myself, and I've always had good luck with that.

Is there no year that comes with the Brembos? I've seen so many pics with Brembos on the bike I just assumed there were at least some years that came with them. If not, no biggie. That's something I can do.

At this writing, there is no data to suggest waiting for a '21 would make a difference. Current production Busas do not have electronics. That's likely to change ... soon IMO, so you might wait to see if Suzuki do that.

Why do you want a 1300+cc bike that weighs 500+ lbs? I have my reasons, what are yours?
I am assuming that if a 2021 DOES come out, they will HAVE to have at least a comparable electronics package. It's the order of the day. I would settle for traction control being added to the ABS. That would be worth it.

As far as the weight goes? I'm kind of retarded like that. My first motorcycle was a VTX 1800R, so there's that. My next one was a GL1800, which is about half a ton wet, more with gear and a rider. The RT weighs about as much as my old C14, give or take. So, I've never really had a "light" bike. Which is fine with me. The C14 was kind of fun, but somewhat neutered for touring duties. The VTX would pull your arms out of its sockets in the first two gears, and I miss that thrill. I long for the occasional Warp Factor 7, you know?

Is there no year that comes with the Brembos?
Gen II is when that started ('08 ^) but that's just calipers. The MC is one of the weaker links, and the lines, although there are some who note (with merit) that, with ABS, there's already is good section of solid tubing in place. I mean, I'll get around to putting SS lines on my ABS 14 wherever there's currently rubber, but (arguably) an upgraded MC makes the single largest difference in OEM brake components.

Realistically, probably a lot of commuting, and some day rides. No drag racing. Touring will probably remain the realm of the RT. It is built for that and exceeds at it. I'm in Vegas so once you get out of town, there is a WHOLE LOT of nothing and some excellent opportunities to safely accelerate, which I would like to enjoy.

Welcome :)

It's a heck of a lot of bike for commuting. Kind a waste to purchase a bike like this and use it predominately for commuting and some day rides.?
Or is the commute a fair distance?
I commute once in a blue moon, but to me, it's to big and heavy as a commuter.
On the open road, chasing down twisties and sweepers is where it's happy. 6-9 hr days in the saddle are not a problem either.

Agree that it’s not an ideal commuter, especially if the commute contains very much ‘slow crawling’. I hate riding slowly on the Busa. It does everything else quite well though.

Welcome, nice RT.

I'd imagine you will find pretty good deals on new Hayabusas in your area, going new is a good idea.

Have you ever ridden a Hayabusa? If not, you will be pleasantly surprised at how great a platform the bike is...it has the torque of a big V-twin and the hp of a hyper bike and can handle (pretty much) like a liter bike if you are aggressive.

Nothing like riding along at hiway speed and dropping it down to 3rd gear and whacking the throttle....it takes off like a fighter jet launching off an aircraft carrier..

Welcome, nice RT.

I'd imagine you will find pretty good deals on new Hayabusas in your area, going new is a good idea.

Have you ever ridden a Hayabusa? If not, you will be pleasantly surprised at how great a platform the bike is...it has the torque of a big V-twin and the hp of a hyper bike and can handle (pretty much) like a liter bike if you are aggressive.

Nothing like riding along at hiway speed and dropping it down to 3rd gear and whacking the throttle....it takes off like a fighter jet launching off an aircraft carrier..

Peace.

Peace.
HI. FNG I have not heard that phrase sense Nam. I bought a use 1999 for $2500.00 back in 2017. I am doing a few mods to now.

Welcome and nice Beemer!!

My guess (occasionally I am incorrect) is that once you have pulled the trigger on a Hayabusa, that RT will have a tough challenge to remain in the stable. It will be sold.

FWIW, I commute every day on the RT and have no problem with it. I've commuted with all my bikes. When I had a Wing, I rode that, etc. My motorcycle is my primary means of transportation. Rain or shine, hot or cold. And since it doesn't really snow here, I don't have to stop in the winter.

I'll never get rid of the RT. Last year we did a trip up to Kamiah, ID. 600-640 miles a day, two days up and two days back, with a 100 mile day while were there for fun. All four travel days were 36-38º and raining the whole time, and the RT made it more than tolerable.

Just checking things off the bucket list, ya know?

Opposite for me. I had the Busa (bought it new in 09). It has a ton of upgrades and it is a pretty amazing bike now. Then I decided to add a K1600 GT. I can't tell you how much I hated that bike, Lol. Tried to ditch it when it was only a year old and it had lost half its value. The only way to salvage anything out of the situation was to take a new 2020 R1250GS. I absolutely love the GS, easily the best bike I ever had. Doesn't pull like a Busa but the handling, comfort, and ability to cover lots of roads fast are amazing.

I am told I should have gone with the RT instead of the K16, hindsight is great, isn't it? I don't get buying a new Busa with so many mint used bikes out there with super low mileage. I think the Brembos started in like 2013, but I could be wrong. But as has been mentioned it's the MC and lines as much as the calipers.

Good hunting!

190914 Busa & Beemer - Small.jpg

The BMW K1600 GT with my Busa has a custom paint job to match the (now gone, lol) BMW.
GS & Busa 01 Cropped - small.jpg

Busa still matches the Beemer. I know the R1250 GS is super popular, but it is truly a fantastic bike.

FWIW, I commute every day on the RT and have no problem with it. I've commuted with all my bikes. When I had a Wing, I rode that, etc. My motorcycle is my primary means of transportation. Rain or shine, hot or cold. And since it doesn't really snow here, I don't have to stop in the winter.

I'll never get rid of the RT. Last year we did a trip up to Kamiah, ID. 600-640 miles a day, two days up and two days back, with a 100 mile day while were there for fun. All four travel days were 36-38º and raining the whole time, and the RT made it more than tolerable.

Just checking things off the bucket list, ya know?
I don't blame you, the RTs are stellar bikes, my brother has 2 and he loves them, one has over 500,000 miles on it and runs like new, the other just turned over 200,000 miles on it and he wouldn't even blink and eye to get on it and go across the country.

Like @fallenarch said, the Brembos came in 2013 with ABS but they only gave us calipers, not the MC for some really odd reason.

The boxer twin is an awesome engine. I can't believe I'm saying that since I used to laugh at them. But the 1200s are good and the 1250 is downright entertaining. I think the Boxer gets the weight so low that these bikes (RT, GS, GSA, RS) are just really fun and effortless to ride. With light parts and wheels, the Busa is a willing turner now too, but the 1250 is in another league.

Back