FLORIDA BUSA OWNERS - CHECK IN

How was Sugarloaf Mtn? Was it worth the trip?
What about the other places?
Sugarloaf by itself is small but I also rode Groveland, Tavares, Howie in the Hills, Astatula and Clermont so it’s the whole ride experience that makes it worth it. I found a restaurant at the edge of Tavares that had several motorcycles with very clean outside sitting and the food was excellent. Rode over 7 hours, all in all was a fantastic day riding. I always go for the distance day rides. I never jump on my bike to ride around the block.

Sugarloaf by itself is small but I also rode Groveland, Tavares, Howie in the Hills, Astatula and Clermont so it’s the whole ride experience that makes it worth it. I found a restaurant at the edge of Tavares that had several motorcycles with very clean outside sitting and the food was excellent. Rode over 7 hours, all in all was a fantastic day riding. I always go for the distance day rides. I never jump on my bike to ride around the block.
Which part of the ride had the best twisties in case I just want to go do that

I've been spoiled by having the opportunity to ride some of the best twisties including the Adirondak mountains in New York, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the black hills of South Dakota. I don't expect to find rides like that in Florida but I would like to find something other than straight flat roads

I need to look up Sugarloaf
Has anyone heard of or ridden the "tail of the gecko"? It would be an all day ride for me but I think it would be worth it.
If anyone's interested in making plans let me know
TAIL OF THE GECKO :)
Sugarloaf is a cool ride and is the highest point in central florida. I normally make my lunch stop a gator Joe’s for some gator bites and hush puppies.

I live in Riverview and ride dade city and brooks bills most of the time, but also have done loops around lake okeechobee, rode sections of highway 1 from fernandina to Ormond beach, have been to Steinhatchee, Ocala and like riding ozello trail and having lunch at the restaurant that sits towards the end of that road.

B93CE285-57EC-4B04-9C70-468BF981C3A4.jpeg

Which part of the ride had the best twisties in case I just want to go do that
Not really anything I rode Friday had much twisties. Dade City, Trilby, Brooksville, Croom, Richloam and Nobleton has some pretty good twisties and curves for Florida. Look up Hayman road and Powell road in Brooksville those roads have some long fast sweepers.

Not really anything I rode Friday had much twisties. Dade City, Trilby, Brooksville, Croom, Richloam and Nobleton has some pretty good twisties and curves for Florida. Look up Hayman road and Powell road in Brooksville those roads have some long fast sweepers.
If you’re ever riding south of Plant City look up Jameson road on hwy 39 south of SR 60. Also Albritton road and Bethlehem road are in the same area off Hwy 37 all are south of SR 60.

I plan to make a hand drawn map of some decent roads starting south of Lakeland going through Bartow, Fort Meade, Bowling Green, PineCrest, Keysville and more. I need to get on that.

Sugarloaf is a cool ride and is the highest point in central florida. I normally make my lunch stop a gator Joe’s for some gator bites and hush puppies.

I live in Riverview and ride dade city and brooks bills most of the time, but also have done loops around lake okeechobee, rode sections of highway 1 from fernandina to Ormond beach, have been to Steinhatchee, Ocala and like riding ozello trail and having lunch at the restaurant that sits towards the end of that road.

View attachment 1661238
Very nice how you’re setup for travel. I have a tank bag and just fitted my new tail bag and test rode 170 miles Friday and it didn’t move any so I really like it.

D37EBD5E-4E2D-4572-858A-6F2E89512CDB.jpeg

Very nice how you’re setup for travel. I have a tank bag and just fitted my new tail bag and test rode 170 miles Friday and it didn’t move any so I really like it.

View attachment 1661241
Best part is that the top case comes off in 30 seconds, as well as, the side givi bags. I do like those soft tail bags and they definitely look better than the suit case I have strapped on the back of mine. :lol:

I like how you guys have adapted your bikes to be able to bring along some stuff. A lot of my riding buddies rode baggers so I would put my jacket (or whatever it was) in their bike LOL
Last bike I had had a tank bag and it was very useful for sure but the Busa and my belly compete for the limited real estate in that area, especially since it's lowered. I'm actually about to raise the bars, I bought a Helibar riser and just waiting on the cushion rings to get here. Maybe then I can make a tank bag work

Last edited:
I like how you guys have adapted your bikes to be able to bring along some stuff. A lot of my riding buddies rode baggers so I would put my jacket (or whatever it was) in their bike LOL
Last bike I had had a tank bag and it was very useful for sure but the Busa and my belly compete for the limited real estate in that area, especially since it's lowered. I'm actually about to raise the bars, I bought a Helibar riser and just waiting on the cushion rings to get here. Maybe then I can make a tank bag work
I used to travel with a tank bag and used a backpack for extra stuff but buying a councours with saddlebags and adding a top case to it spoiled me. I decided to get the plate to be able to mount the top case on the busa and added the brackets for givi saddlebags too. Is really nice not to have to drag helmet, gloves and jacket inside the store or restaurant and not leaving that baking in the Florida sun either.

I agree with you on all these places. I tend to run trilby rd several times back and forth. I like to go to richloam WMA on the DR650 and run the trails there.

I also didn't want to have to carry or leave my helmet, jacket and gloves.
So I added a topcase and soft saddlebags and lock the above in the topcase.

P1040265A_zps8jhzdqfi.jpg

Back