Florida Boys are getting a raw deal

(clrwtrbusa @ Jan. 09 2007,20:14)
race.gif
I'm not into running, but I really have no plans on the cops getting my bike for any reason.

I guess it means I will have to run
race.gif
or you could just speed more Cautiously.

If your doing anything naughty then assume right from the word go someone saw ya and don't slowdown until your direction is changed quite a few times, on another road and out of sight. Most of the guys you hear get caught speeding did their 170mph blast, slowed down to the speed limit and kept going in the same direction on the same road like nothing happened. That's just giving anyone they pissed off a chance to catch up or have freinds close in from another angle.

Always watch your mirrors (ESPECIALLY CHECK BEFORE BEING NAUGHTY). checking every 3 seconds does wonders. easy to do habitwise after practice. Better chance of seeing anything coming.

Theres some options for your plate. Good mention on picking a hard to read set of numbers and letters. Otherwise there's Color keyed tape, plateflipper, relocating it. Few guys i knew put the plate clear up under the tail in FRONT of the rear tire. You could still see it..top half anyways. It's behind them so it is legal (in theory). They probably would get tickets for it but they don't give anything short of a bike a chance to get close to 'em.

Best option is just to be weary of where, when , and how you speed. We've all heard the "take it to the track verse" but theres some deserted areas and roads still left to enjoy. Time of day means alot too. Your best bet is always do your speeding alone. More riders the more attention. Especially if they all got aftermarket pipes. I've enjoyed my busa with stock pipes plenty for 6 years. Plenty of naughtiness and much less police trouble then just the 2 years I had my CBR xx with a two bro's single exhaust on it. That pipe always told them what i was doing. If your gonna Cheat, do it quietly.

Some may frown on what's said here but the first 2 options EVERY RIDER should know and be ready to execute in the case of road rage situations. Not all the people who get pissed at you are in slow suv's that are easy to leave behind. Some take very unkindly to a bike showing up their sports car, even if you didn't do anything intentionally. Best to be ready for anything when on a bike. Your bike's Offense is your life's only Defense.

race.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 09 2007,11:39) I have no problem with confiscated  someone's car or bike IF they are proven guilty in court/plead guilty/no contest.

But anyone proven innocent should get their bike back plus money for the extra headache and, I'm sure, extra damage to the bike that happens when its confiscated.

This biggest problem is this is all up to a cop to decide.  Way too much power for a cop.  This should at least be decided by a judge, or a judge and jury.

All it takes is one a$$hole cop and some lawabidding citizen loses his ride.  Please don't act like there aren't cops like that out there....
I agree. Judging from the story they are counting on a guy not having the cash to plead not guilty. They won't pry my Busa from my bloody fingers!
mad.gif

They come looking for my Busa? warrant or not ...it's gonna be Waco all over again!

first
argue.gif

then
guns.gif

finally
firedevil.gif

wink.gif
laugh.gif

I don't understand. If the bike is seized and the felony charges are dropped, ought the bike be returned to the owner? It does not make sense from a legal point of view.

If this legal procedure is permissable, it still seems unconstitutional to deprive a person of their property without properly convicting them of a crime against public safety. Ever heard of the Writ of Habeus Corpus? A man shows up in court to defend himself against charges made against him? Here it almost seems like a bill of attainder.

Legal experts out there care to enlighten?

firedevil.gif

(dadofthree @ Jan. 09 2007,19:03) Alright. I'm not from Florida, but the article that started this is questionable. Now I guess I have to go off and research it. Some of the things being stated in this post violate the US and of course the Florida Constitution. No ones person, papers or personal property can be seized without due process. If this is happening, then it shouldn't be long before the state or US supremes hear the case. A cop has very little power contrary to some post. Everyone in this country has a right to and is given the chance to be tried by a jury composed of peers. If found guilty by that jury; fines and penalties will be imposed by a judge.

As far as running goes; do what you feel, however this behavior is always done at great risk to both you the rider and society as a whole. I don't personally know any LEs that chase bikes. Again that's a small group in my area and I'm not in Florida. I will not put someone in a life threatening position because of a simple traffic or equipment violation. After all I would have to live with that decision.
You may be the exception, not the rule? State Police here love a chase and many times will blue light a bike just to see if they will run?

Fl is the same way. City cops and County Sherriff's, I stop every time. FHP.... No trust or respect for them. They have ruined any chances of that with their actions far too many times

(rybraun @ Jan. 10 2007,00:12)
(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 09 2007,11:39) I have no problem with confiscated someone's car or bike IF they are proven guilty in court/plead guilty/no contest.

But anyone proven innocent should get their bike back plus money for the extra headache and, I'm sure, extra damage to the bike that happens when its confiscated.

This biggest problem is this is all up to a cop to decide. Way too much power for a cop. This should at least be decided by a judge, or a judge and jury.

All it takes is one a$$hole cop and some lawabidding citizen loses his ride. Please don't act like there aren't cops like that out there....
I agree. Judging from the story they are counting on a guy not having the cash to plead not guilty. They won't pry my Busa from my bloody fingers!
mad.gif
Public Defenders are free and good. In most magistrates courts you can defend yourself easily, especially against what this article is talking about.

(Tufbusa @ Jan. 10 2007,09:43)
(dadofthree @ Jan. 09 2007,19:03) Alright. I'm not from Florida, but the article that started this is questionable. Now I guess I have to go off and research it. Some of the things being stated in this post violate the US and of course the Florida Constitution. No ones person, papers or personal property can be seized without due process. If this is happening, then it shouldn't be long before the state or US supremes hear the case. A cop has very little power contrary to some post. Everyone in this country has a right to and is given the chance to be tried by a jury composed of peers. If found guilty by that jury; fines and penalties will be imposed by a judge.

As far as running goes; do what you feel, however this behavior is always done at great risk to both you the rider and society as a whole. I don't personally know any LEs that chase bikes. Again that's a small group in my area and I'm not in Florida. I will not put someone in a life threatening position because of a simple traffic or equipment violation. After all I would have to live with that decision.
You may be the exception, not the rule? State Police here love a chase and many times will blue light a bike just to see if they will run?
Pull over, do exactly what you're told, have everything in order; your bike, your lic., your insurance, and be polite with 0 attitude. Listen respectfully, go through the motions and take the verbal warning, warning, ticket or arrest. Remember you might be pissed that you got caught, but rarely is it a fact that you did nothing. Occassionally this happens, but come on guys, it's rare. The court systems in this country are very lineant. Judges reduce or drop just about everything, and it's damn near impossible to win a jury trial.

The right / left BS is exactly that. Just another clown going down. In numerous jurisdictions no chase policies are being implemented anyway.

I'm no angel and will not pretend to be, but I'm very subtle and discret. Local Highway patrol pulled me a couple weeks ago 64/55 MPH zone in the middle of nowhere. I did exactly what I wrote above, never mentioned I was in law enforcement. Was never given a reason for the stop, major no no. Checked my vehicle lic and DL and told me to slow it down. Probably just wanted to look at the bike.

You right / left into a neighborhood and run down someones 5 year old; then what?

On a lighter note I was just cruising, laid down on the tank, never saw the blue lights it was a bright and sunny day. He eased up next to me and hit the siren. I just about lost it. Nothing but shoulders in these factory rearviews.

In SC it's a felony to fail to stop when signaled and ignorance is no excuse. It is specifically stated in the law that not hearing or seeing bluelights and sirens is no excuse. Just took a verbal warning to time in state side and for what. Nothing.

Yeah it figures! Florida is the southern part of Alabama --- we just don't claim it. Ain't nothin' but sand and weeds any ways. No twisties!!!
bluegrab.gif

(dadofthree @ Jan. 10 2007,14:08)
(Tufbusa @ Jan. 10 2007,09:43)

Pull over, do exactly what you're told, have everything in order; your bike, your lic., your insurance, and be polite with 0 attitude. Listen respectfully, go through the motions and take the verbal warning, warning, ticket or arrest. Remember you might be pissed that you got caught, but rarely is it a fact that you did nothing. Occassionally this happens, but come on guys, it's rare. The court systems in this country are very lineant. Judges reduce or drop just about everything, and it's damn near impossible to win a jury trial.

The right / left BS is exactly that. Just another clown going down. In numerous jurisdictions no chase policies are being implemented anyway.

I'm no angel and will not pretend to be, but I'm very subtle and discret. Local Highway patrol pulled me a couple weeks ago 64/55 MPH zone in the middle of nowhere. I did exactly what I wrote above, never mentioned I was in law enforcement. Was never given a reason for the stop, major no no. Checked my vehicle lic and DL and told me to slow it down. Probably just wanted to look at the bike.

You right / left into a neighborhood and run down someones 5 year old; then what?
You are a cop !!! you are never going to get a ticket even if you shot the other cop !!! Give me a break man.. Just on the News tonight  3 officers beat the $hit out of to guys they thought were dealing drugs ...The cops found out so after the beat down they got the wrong guys ....All they got was 12 days off with no pay ... If i had done that to someone i'd be in jail for the next 5 years ...Don't bull $hit me ...

I give LEOs the benefit of the doubt...but it's when they nail you w/ BS speeding citations (like the one a buddy and I got for doing 65 in a 60 - FHP said 55 where he got us though)???. Just cruising w/ traffic, got singled out as we approached the light...$180 a piece.
SHOCKED.gif

It's that kind of BS that makes people have bad attitudes towards LEOs. It amazes me that fellow LEOs don't come down on the LEO d!ckheads that give a bad name to them all.

I treat people as they treat me I dont make it different for LEO. I was pulled over once doing a burnout in my Camaro cop drove right threw the smoke and nailed me. Wrote me a ticket for it asked me why I told him honestly showing off for those people over there. My father always told me if your gonna play expect to pay. But I agree there should be some social test for some of these idiots. Everyone has a bad day and you cant always be a nice guy but rule number one is you are a public servant and they should treat the public (and that even includes those sideways hat wearing baggy jean hanging kids) with respect. I have to tell you though, you come for my bike I am from Maine we shoot deer at 300 yards every year for fun. I dont let anyone steal from me. Taking someones bike without a trial etc is nothing more than blackmail if you give me your bike we will drop the charges if you dont we will put you in jail cost you money in a fine and take you bike anyway. I hate that about the US court system. People in Florida need to get a huge motorcycle rally together march on the FHP and hold them hostage until its changed. The government counts on the fact that we are just happy enough not to have a huge revolt.

i know this might be crazy... but DONT RUN FROM THE DAMN COPS!!!

second, dont speed and they wont bother you... (Crazy isnt it
crazy.gif
)

(godspeed409 @ Jan. 11 2007,12:56) i know this might be crazy... but DONT RUN FROM THE DAMN COPS!!!

second, dont speed and they wont bother you... (Crazy isnt it
crazy.gif
)
You have no clue what you are talking about..Come down to FL and see if that works for you...Bring bail money because you are going to need it..

what kinda babbling bullxxxx is this? so, cops show up in your house say, "uuhhh you the one who fly by the other day? or didn't you go 150 mi the other day? or how do they going to proove? I hope they not going to say, I've seen this bike was flying, I'm positive...I hope they don't come up like that...
crazy.gif

I was thinkin about going to Miami, this winter...but, I'll go some place else...didn't know it was that bad...

ok ... first...they aren't going to take people's bikes at random.
there will be some body of evidence (usually video tape) that they will have to submit to even begin the forfeture procedings. there will likely be a warrant...that hopefully someone has signed based on evidence that represents probable cause to seize the property.

there is a state statute on this
FL Statute 932.701 - 707

if a flee/elude charge is a felony...then it may qualify...if you twist it hard enough.

edited to add facts...not theory...
laugh.gif

(BusaCruise @ Jan. 08 2007,19:52) looks like gonna have to start swiping tags from harley owners...and goldwings!    
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

made my posts..I feel better.

lurk.gif
Thats funny!

wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Read the articles. I suggest everyone else read them as well. Cops don't make laws, they enforce them. Apparently in Florida any vehicle used in the commission of a felony can be taken. Regardless of your opinions cops lose their jobs ( when I say this I mean the ability to police anywhere ever again ) and are fined, and are sent to jail and even prison every day. In the past year or so a local off duty cop was involved in a high speed motorcycle crash, charged with DUI, and lost his livelyhood. I rarely get pulled because I stay within or close enough to the law. Granted on the Busa I've done some things beyond that description. About 10 years ago I was pulled and charged with speeding 70 / 55. I wasn't in a hurry or showing out, I was simply day dreaming and not paying attention. I paid the full amount and was given the maximum points. The judge stated I was law enforcement and should have known better. Not a problem because I broke the law.
I give people verbal warnings all the time and written warnings as well. It's called officers descretion. I understand what 1300hemibusa is saying. If 1300hemibusa pulled his sister for speeding he probably would tell her to slow down without writing a ticket.

Just read the articles.

Back