First time with Busa at the strip....loved it.

Quicker Gixxer

Registered
Every year they have an event in Omaha called "Omaha's Ice Cream Cruise". It starts with a car/bike show..then a long ride from there to the Mid-American Motorplex for 4 hours of 1/8th mile drag racing. The last time I drag raced was 2001 on a Gixxer750...so I was a little nervous. I watched for a couple hours (getting my nerve up) and finally got out there in front of 6,000 people...and ran a 9.29...hahaha. I was super cautious with the launch..at around 3k..and also wanted to see how it reacted under heavy acceleration in the lower gears..I had yet to really romp on it since buying it. I ran 5 more times and got my time down to a respectable 7.21 (for a first night out)...winning my last 3 races. I was really impressed with how well it handled...and there's lots of room for improvement as I never really gave it everything it had. A guy on a ZX10 said he had never lost to a Busa...but only beat me by .3 seconds...so I hope to run into him again...I'll be in the 6's before long and he won't be able to boast that fact anymore :laugh:

MAM.jpg

Glad you got out for your first time! :thumbsup:

Now get to practicing, you should be 6.5's or better on a 100% stock bike... :poke:

:laugh:

Basic mods and lowered,...knocking on the 5.9's... :beerchug:

Glad you got out for your first time! :thumbsup:

Now get to practicing, you should be 6.5's or better on a 100% stock bike... :poke:

:laugh:

Basic mods and lowered,...knocking on the 5.9's... :beerchug:

Yup..practice makes perfect. I know it's just a matter of time...I was in the 6.9's with that gixxer750 strapped...and I launched it with no fear. I've got more respect for the Busa. I'll probably get a strap ( just priced them at Schnitz Racing for about $25) and go from there. I was very encouraged that it didn't wheelie on me off the line...but a strap would give me added confidence and I'd be willing to hit it a little harder. I did get some spin though at the end of 1st and into second...so a better tire would help too. I'm gonna be so broke I won't be able to pay attention for a little while....oh well, you only live once :whistle:

That is cool...if you want a inexpensive jump get a -1 front sprocket...based on mileage and chain condition...it would be quicker

That's good for your first time out. I was running in the 6.6 range lowered 1" in the rear on stock wheel base, but it took forever for me to get that low. Now with a 1441 I barely get out of the 7's. Only been once on the new engine still scared of it. It took 30k miles to finally have the nerve to drag stock now with 2k on the new engine it feels like I am starting all over.

That's good for your first time out. I was running in the 6.6 range lowered 1" in the rear on stock wheel base, but it took forever for me to get that low. Now with a 1441 I barely get out of the 7's. Only been once on the new engine still scared of it. It took 30k miles to finally have the nerve to drag stock now with 2k on the new engine it feels like I am starting all over.

1441...? Damn! I know what you mean though....I had the "pucker factor" working against me bigtime. Better safe than sorry though...

Back