first time running bike on track

if i pull the air filter off, will i be about to get more power out of it?

No need to do this. Focus on seat time. Right now you have more power than you are using. When you get the 60' times consistently in the low 1.5s or below then you can start making those small adjustments for more power. Right now it is not worth the effort and the risk of ingesting particles into the engine.

No need to do this. Focus on seat time. Right now you have more power than you are using. When you get the 60' times consistently in the low 1.5s or below then you can start making those small adjustments for more power. Right now it is not worth the effort and the risk of ingesting particles into the engine.

thanks, thats a very good point.

you need about 8#s of weight out over the front end to keep it down, go with 5-6k at take off, i have exact same bike as you 2007 candy sonoma red .... with it being that fastest color you should get into the 9's probably around your 9th 10th pass
good luck, be carefull, dont end up on your arse...

First time I ever ran my bike down the strip the light went green and I stalled the bike. You will be nervous, keep in mind that most of the people watching couldn't do it either, and those that are talkin $hit are prolly jealous. :moon: Don't try and set a track record with your first pass, let the speed come to you. Don't worry about your reaction times just yet, after the first few runs concentrate on getting your 60' time where you want it. Consistency is the key. Most important, have fun!

Reaction time has ZERO affect on E/T. Just be smooth, be SAFE, and have FUN! That's all that matters, even if you run 11's or slower... :laugh: j/k

well.... i had a blast. i got to make about 15 passes today. each run my time got better and better. i didn't heat the tire up at all, one time i spun off the line alot but i think i had some water on the tire. my best run was:

60ft- 1.7671
330- 4.4763
1/8- 6.6664
1/8 mph- 112.05
1/4- 10.203
1/4 mph- 137.36

i tried and tried to get it lower but if i launched harder the front end would come up too high and slow me down (i didn't strap it). next time i plan on straping the front end. this was my first time on the track and i want to go back very soon!

thanks for all the advice. does it look like i am on the right track?

Last edited:
Yep, strap it and keep practicing! I bet you get in the 1.6s next time out and that should get you in the 9's. You will soon be addicted :laugh:.

Congrats! :thumbsup:

From what I can read on the slip, you've got a good 60' since you are slipping the clutch a bunch. But if you can get the clutch engaged quicker and wide open throttle sooner, that will bring your 330' down. Get the 330' down and get your clutch lever less shifts fine tuned (to increase that MPH) and you are running 9's pretty easy... :beerchug:

first run was a 10.9 at 133 i think and 2ed run was a 10.8, then a 10.7, then a 10.4.

most of my runs after i got use to it was between 10.2 and 10.4

but still beating a gsxr1000 every time:thumbsup:

Back