First serious storm...

GJoker

Still got love for ya's...
Donating Member
Registered
...of the Hurricane season threatens Florida~ Don't wait until it's too late~ Batton down the hatches... make them preparations.. and get the heck outta Dodge if need be~ It's time for the 2006 Season to wake up Floridians...

Hurricane Ernesto targets Haiti, Cuba, Florida

By Jim Loney
MIAMI (Reuters) - Hurricane Ernesto threatened Haiti with deadly floods and prompted evacuations in Florida and Cuba on Sunday as it headed for the Gulf of Mexico a year after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans.

Residents of the battered U.S. Gulf coast jazz city were breathing more easily as the Atlantic season's first hurricane took a path that left Louisiana outside the danger zone but raised alarms in Florida, weary from eight hurricanes in the last two years.

Cuba, facing its first hurricane in decades without President Fidel Castro at the helm, began evacuating 200,000 people from its eastern provinces and called its fishing fleet to harbour as Ernesto, with 120 km per hour winds, swept through the Caribbean Sea just south of Haiti.

Forecasters said Ernesto could become a Category 2 hurricane with sustained winds of nearly 160 kph in the Gulf, home to a quarter of U.S. oil and gas production. Its most likely path would take it ashore on Florida's west coast near Tampa on Thursday.

Ernesto's centre was about 170 km west-southwest of the Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince, at 2 p.m. EDT (1800 GMT) on Sunday, the U.S. National Hurricane Centre said. It was moving northwest at 15 kph and was expected to be near the southeastern coast of Cuba on Monday morning.

Forecasters said Ernesto appeared to have weakened as it pounded the Haitian coast, and it could be downgraded to a tropical storm later in the day.

Heavy rain fell in Haiti's capital, Port-au-Prince, and triggered some flooding in the port city of Gonaives, the nation's civil protection department said.

Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, has been virtually stripped of trees, leaving it vulnerable to deadly floods. Tropical Storm Jeanne killed about 3,000 people two years ago when its rains triggered mudslides in and around Gonaives.

Forecasters said up to 30 cm of rain -- and 50 cm in isolated areas -- could fall on Hispaniola, the island shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

HEADING FOR TAMPA?

Ernesto was likely to weaken over Cuba and regroup after it emerges off the north coast of the island, forecasters said. The official intensity forecast had Ernesto as a Category 2 hurricane with sustained winds near 160 kph in the Gulf.

"However, Ernesto could approach Category 3 status prior to the projected landfall in western Florida," the hurricane centre said.

Ernesto's most likely track took it to Tampa on Thursday morning and across Florida to the Atlantic Ocean early on Friday. But virtually all areas of the state from the Panhandle to the Florida Keys and populous Miami-Fort Lauderdale were in its possible path.

Emergency managers ordered visitors to leave the Keys, the first step of a staged evacuation of the low-lying, 177-km island chain off Florida's southern tip. The hurricane centre said a tropical storm watch might be required for parts of the Keys later on Sunday.

As the storm's track shifted east, New Orleans, still struggling to recover from Hurricane Katrina's blow last Aug. 29, was farther from the danger zone. But the uncertainty of long-range forecasts had much of Gulf coast, and the U.S. energy industry, on alert.

Hurricane Katrina flooded most of historic New Orleans. The storm killed about 1,500 people on the Gulf Coast and caused more than $80 billion in damage.

Oil prices rose on Friday as Ernesto developed. BP Plc, Shell and Conoco all pulled some nonessential personnel from Gulf rigs because of the storm's threat.

(Additional reporting by Marc Frank in Havana, Joseph Guyler Delva in Port-au-Prince, Peter Henderson in New Orleans and Erwin Seba in Houston)

Copyright © 2005 Reuters

Batton down the hatches[/QUOTE]
It cracks me up every time I hear that. Better "Hunker down" while we're at it.
laugh.gif

Sorry. On a serious note, should be no big deal. I'm ready.........for some more work.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Dakkine2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156735245 -->

Hell no, GJ, Tampa will avoid the big one yet again for another season. We will not be challenged. Tampa/St. Pete has to be the largest coastal city of it's size to avoid hurricanes throughout hurricane history.

Hey you already posted it!!

Hunker down everyone! Or at least get a rain coat.
biggrin.gif

I'm planning on riding the Road Sofa around downtown Tampa looking for a news crew. When they stop and talk to me live I'm gonna say I'm just making a point that the weather forecasters and News org's are sensationalists trying to scare old people and get ratings. How bad can a storm be If I'm riding a motorcycle in it!?!
See ya on Channel 8!

I giggled as i watched the panicville schmucks line up and wait for gas for hours yesterday as i mosied on home from work...then pulled 10 hours today and on the way home?...picked up two bags of ice....as i haven't invested in an ice-maker yet (just got city water 2 months ago) and was completely out of ice anyways...then?..tonight?...on my way to publix?...i pulled right in and filled up (2) 5gal gas cans (jus' in case we loose power after the band-aid maint. job fpl pulled after the past two years of canes)..and then?...publix had campbells chuncky soup on sale and i also got a couple packages of jimmy dean microwaveable breakfast sandwichs...and i ain't even "boarding up"...gonna ride this one out nekid....no fairing....just house. LOL!

and now that i gotz all the neccesities?...and most likely "tomorrow off from work"?...i think i'll burn one and watch the storm roll in. LOL!
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I giggled as i watched the panicville schmucks line up and wait for gas for hours yesterday as i mosied on home from work...then pulled 10 hours today and on the way home?...picked up two bags of ice....as i haven't invested in an ice-maker yet (just got city water 2 months ago) and was completely out of ice anyways...then?..tonight?...on my way to publix?...i pulled right in and filled up (2) 5gal gas cans (jus' in case we loose power after the band-aid maint. job fpl pulled after the past two years of canes)..and then?...publix had campbells chuncky soup on sale and i also got a couple packages of jimmy dean microwaveable breakfast sandwichs...and i ain't even "boarding up"...gonna ride this one out nekid....no fairing....just house. LOL!

and now that i gotz all the neccesities?...and most likely "tomorrow off from work"?...i think i'll burn one and watch the storm roll in. LOL!
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
smile.gif
Sounds about like my Hurricane prep when we were in Tampa.

Everyone Scrambling, We were allready good to go. Loved watching the Folks Scramble and panic though... the LINES at Lowe's for Generators and such was allways a trip.

Hurricane Film/Security film is amazing stuff, We never boarded anything and all through the 2004 storm season never had a broken window. Heck during the worst one we never even lost power.
thumbs-up.gif

Hell we were allways ready.

Ya'll better keep yer heads down though...

I knew this thing wasn't gonna do shid but rain and give the kiddies 2 days off. What I'm concerned about are the 2 storms casually rolling off Africa's coast and no ones looking at them! Oh and I'm hunkered down in a double wide trailer. No sweatin' it here.
tounge.gif

good thing Jeb Bush declared a "State-Of-Emergency" yesterday...

good thing the schools had early dismisal today...and shut down for tomorrow to open up as "shelters"...

and good thing they warned folks to stay inside tonight through tomorrow afternoon...

I guess ya just can't under-estimate the dangers of a 6mph wind...gusting to 8!
tounge.gif

Danger Will Robinson! News Flash! UPDATE!!!

it appears ernesto will pose a great threat to sea turtle eggs.

damn....is there no end to the death and destruction of this storm?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif
 This place is rediculous. I cut off about 50 people yesterday to get to the diesel pump that had no line whatsoever. All of which tried to block the big dually from comin' through.  
laugh.gif
 What a joke. They were all pi$$ed that I didn't have to wait.

Hey Bill, I think I felt a gust to 9 mph over here.
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

I'm planning on riding the Road Sofa around downtown Tampa looking for a news crew. When they stop and talk to me live I'm gonna say I'm just making a point that the weather forecasters and News org's are sensationalists trying to scare old people and get ratings. How bad can a storm be If I'm riding a motorcycle in it!?!
See ya on Channel 8!
I'm with ya!
Look for the silver bullet on an interstate near you!

Some big scary storm . . . not even a cat 1
What a waste of effort.
Little bit o' rain an' wind and everyone gets their panties
in a wad.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1486"|1156907744 -->

Hey all I know we got tomorrow off. And maybe Thursday to, Have to wait in see what the DART (Damage Assessment and Recovery Team) Crew has to say . before we can go back . Kennedy Space Center .:)

I have a 67 camaro in the shop that needs the rear quarters replaced... Guess I shouldn't get too mad at the sensationalists... I get to work on a toy for two days! He!! by the time the two storms in waiting are rollin in I should be just about ready for paint!!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

This turned into nothing more then an afternoon rain storm~ Didn't even build up any while over the water after leaving Cuba~ The one good thing I did notice was a little less traffic this morning! If these little storms keep the blue hairs off the road... I'd have to wish they would blow through more often!
tounge.gif

Used to be, the hurricanes were an excuse to get liquored up here in the redneck riviera. Now, in just the last two seasons, a storm equals at least a month of bagged gas pump handles. What gives? Are you guys down in the dipper having the same problems?

Back