First ride

whiskerygoofy

Registered
Just got back this hour off my first ride on the new Busa. Got in 125 miles on farm to market roads and couple of state highways. Went with my buddies, one on a Wing, the other on a Big Dog (we were about a motley looking crew).My observations for what it is worth:

Very easy to ride. Coming from Harley's and presently a Wing, certainly more nimble than what I am use to and much lighter.(Don't need a reverse on this thing) Throttle alot less "flicky" than the Wing, but more sensitive than Harley. The Wing's sensitive throttle is a pain at first due to the weight of the bike.

Couple times down shifting, could not get it to drop gears. Maybe not stepping firm enuf? Couple times had the prob. of shifting from 5th to 6th. Maybe not stepping up as firmly as need to? When down shifting, don't seem to need to "blip" the throttle like on a Harley. Shifted down smoothly either "blipping" or not.

Comfort (Important to me):Like the Puig sport touring screen I put on. Put on Heli Bars which helped considerably (I am vertically challenged), and lowered the bike. Wrapped the grips with heavy tennis racket grip, no problem with vibration.
Only discomfort was in my lower neck and shoulders. Think it may be not relaxing enough yet although I concentrated on using my lower back and abs to support myself. Also using a 3/4 flip helmet and had a fair amt. of air rush that may be pushing my helmet back, ergo the sore neck? Full face may correct this?
Put a Tobin seat w/ back rest on and found it very comfortable, however, don't think it lowered me 1 1/2".

So I am pleased with the bike and think it will be a great addition to the garage. Just got to work on the neck and shoulders and then I will be up-to-snuff. Sorry so long winded.

Larry

Good to hear you got a chance to go out.....
Shift like you mean it, shifting will smooth out for you as you approach 1000 miles or so, but be firm.
Your muscles will become use to and will adjust to the riding ergos soon enough also.
You might want to experiment with the throttle cable adjustments. Me, like some here, don't like the slack and thus glitchy response when you twist off idle. I adjusted most all the slack out so that she's instant on when I twist the grip. The procedure is in your Owner's Manual.

<!--EDIT|CCbusa05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141509028 -->

laugh.gif
I am supprised that you could stay around the Wing and Harley
wow.gif
. My Busa just wants to goooooooo and isn't good with mixed company
blush.gif

Joking aside, I've found it hard to ride with other bikes
rock.gif
, either I go faster  
race.gif
(which is generally the case, not because I speed, but I generally don't slow down below the speed limits for turns)  or I am not going to challenge the OHP to see who can catch who first 
down.gif

As far as the neck and shoulders, thats normal. You'll get over that after riding for a while. New Muscles doing New Things  
muscle.gif

The gears will shift a little better as the mileage racks up (I am assuming it is new). Mine, at 800 miles is getting a tick smoother on the shift but shifting is probably the bike's worst nuance - although at high rpms you dont notice it, too busy holding on!

The riding position got me too, I also came from a Wing to the Busa.
As you ride more you will tone certain otherwise unused muscles and you'll mold right in!!
At first my wrist and back hurt a little after an hour or so, now, I am good to go.

Have fun out there on those FM roads!

It only gets better the more you ride it
cool.gif
Ain't it the truth! My first ride was the 460 miles from Santa Ana to San Jose along 1 and 101. About the time I needed gas I thought I'd have to change the seat and I wasn't too happy with the lean forward position but somewhere along the way, around 95-100+ mph, all bad thoughts melted away and since then its only gotten better.

Congrats. The bike will become more comfortable for you. I'm 55 and I thought I would have a huge problem adjusting. Now I can go 500-600 mi. and still be OK. On my cruiser, after 100 mi. I thought I would need traction!(on my body that is)

I'm 48 yrs old and just yesterday, i rode my 06 busa for about 10 km's.She's only got 50 km's on it now.
My last bike was a 1200 bandit so this new position is gonna take some getting used to.
My biggest complaint is,that dang stock windshield!!!I cant see the instrumentation without putting some strain on my neck and back.
I've got a Puig screen on order,along with a Corbin seat.
I might get the Heli bars but i'm gonna try riding it stock for at least the first 1000km's.
Oh ya one more thing,I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm 6'1 and 190 lbs
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|reiny
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141575029 -->

Back