Kicked out of 2nd gear three times las time I was out! this may be a silly question.

Chango

Registered
Winding her out and I got to second and then she went to neutral. Did this three times! Sick feeling to the stomach and thoughts of how bad the shifting fork job is going to drain the wallet. So then I get home get on the .org and my mind was put to ease as I read about needing to "shift like I mean it". So took her to work yesterday and with shifting hard into 2nd seems like problem solved. Thanks fellow .Org folks!

My question actually comes on the advise that I got when this happens. At times it did not want to go to 2nd so I let it wind down and went back to first. The guy I ride with said that I should blip it and go to second. Another person said just let it wind down because forcing it to shift the 2nd can be bad on the shift forks. So my question is who is right on this do I let it wind down or blip the throttle and attempt to go to 2nd when this happens? Any explanation or advise is very much appreciated Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Re: Kicked out of 2nd gear three times las time I was out! this may be a silly questi

What oil are you using and how many miles are on it?

Have you tried not using the clutch on up shifts as most racers don't use the clutch on up shifts.
Do you know how to do that?

Sounds like you are riding it pretty aggressively - under normal riding do have the same problem?

Re: Kicked out of 2nd gear three times las time I was out! this may be a silly questi

Sometimes lubing up the shaft that the shifter is mounted to on the footpeg helps. You shld also check and see if your shift linkage is positioned properly. If the clamp on the shift shaft is t positioned right it will cause that. If the shift lever itself isn't down enough it can cause that.

Im curious to the answer on this as well, my 01 does this (with 34k on her)

I use Mobile 1 T4 and rarely use the clutch beyond 1st gear.

-D

Second gear engagement is bad, its not the shift forks. The tranny needs to be repaired or Undercut.
This is really an unfortunate problem on many Suzuki's, as well as a few other Bikes.
It suck's, but it does not happen to all.
I have 3 tranny jobs booked this coming fall, so far.

I have had three Suzukis and I can't speak to the jumping out of gear issue on the Busa as it has not happened to me thankfully yet. On my older Slingshot though I had that same problem and was told by the tech at the Suzuki shop that power shifting all the time can cause this issue (at least on the bike I had at the time) So since then I only power shift if it is required. As in when I am up against the few bikes out there that my Busa really needs to try extra hard to beat.
My 01 has if you can believe it 80 000 Kilometres on it and the trany stays put.
I do however have an issue with the clutch when it's cold it "clicks or chatters" as I am getting moving. I usually don't put the boots to her until she it fully warmed up. Once she is warmed up she is fine. The clutch when warm can take all the wheelie inspiring torque we all know and love.
Could this just be a clutch adjustment issue??
Thoughts Anyone?
Thanks Ward

Had same problem with my brand new goldwing back in 2010. Not shifting into gear, jumping out of gear, false neutrals and I said oh no, brand new bike. Other g/w owners having to get expensive trans jobs on them. As I read on the forums and other places, I read that the bike makers were saying we don't how to shift. I said whaaaat? Me, I've been riding since I'm 10 years old. As I read, they, the makers said you have to hold the shift lever up all the way while holding the clutch in and not to let off the shift lever until a second then releasing clutch while lever is still up. NEVER has another problem with the g/w. If I wouldn't shift my busa this way, I would have at least 10 false neutrals every ride. In a false neutral, I think we bend the shift fork or some other damage every time just a little, then after a bunch of f/n, we have damage. But, I have no more problems. I also wait till I see the shift number come up, because if it's in a f/n, the gear number won't light.

If you were closer I could knock it out for you cheap. Im slow this fall already and need something to do.

Paul there lining up here! Thank God i have spare Trannys all ready done!
If you were closer I could knock it out for you cheap. Im slow this fall already and need something to do.

Thanks for the response you guys are awesome! It's a 2006 it has 24000 miles on it. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-40 Racing 4T Motorcycle motoroil. I change it every 3000 miles. When I think about it. It did only do it when i got real aggresive! I'm going to have to take a look at the linkage tomorrow. I'm really hoping to God that I don't need the cases split. Thanks for info I'll give it a look over and hope for the best!

Yes please check the linkage and grease up the shift lever pivot. Usually I can grease the pivot and lower the adjustment of the lever and they are good. 9 times out if 10 that's what I have run into. Did have one once upon a time way back that the shift star had come loose from the drum. Usually if it's the trans it will make it into the gear it just skips like the chain jumping teeth.

Back