First oil change

landmissle

Registered
Is the original susuki filter the only good option or are there other filter brands I should consider. Fram, etc??? I'm at 580 miles so I plan to do the oil change this weekend.

Magnasport01_sc_vmax.jpg

I will NEVER use fram filters after the independet tests I've read. Smallest filtering area, most restrictive filter on the market.

Nice Max! The guy I got my 91 from replaced it with a 94 and then put a blower on it. I only saw it before the blower, but the mechanics at the cycle shop know a friend of mine. (works across the street from the shop) And have brought over the blown max on test rides, so he has seen it.

Use the Suzuki filter on the first change for piece of mind if you should have a warranty issue....
Never use a fram, btw.

And kool blown Vmax!
cool.gif

(guido4512 @ Apr. 05 2007,07:53) Use the Suzuki filter on the first change for piece of mind if you should have a warranty issue....
Never use a fram, btw.

And kool blown Vmax!
cool.gif
+1

I use a K&N because to me it is worth the extra money for the welded nut on the end and I can just use a box end wrench to put it on and take it off...

Forgot to mention...for the first 1000 miles or so if you are changing oil frequenty, I just used zook dino oil and zook filter...but as soon as I was done with break in, been synthetic and k&n ever since.

Still using OEM oil filter and always will...just bought one yesterday matter of fact.  

You'll never get a K&N 100% clean and who wants to mess with the cleaner and process cleaning it?  Much easier to just toss the old one along with all it's oil contaminents in the trash and you won't be saving that much money to justify using the same K&N for life.

IMO, I like the peace of mind knowing I'm getting a brand spanking new oil filter w/ every change.

(Over_Easy @ Apr. 05 2007,03:46) Still using OEM oil filter and always will...just bought one yesterday matter of fact.  

You'll never get a K&N 100% clean and who wants to mess with the cleaner and process cleaning it?  Much easier to just toss the old one along with all it's oil contaminents in the trash and you won't be saving that much money to justify using the same K&N for life.

IMO, I like the peace of mind knowing I'm getting a brand spanking new oil filter w/ every change.
ices_rofl.gif

Ya don't re-use an oil filter...I put on a new one with each oil change.

Is it more money? Certainly...about $10 per filter. But I would never go back to a standard filter and have to screw around getting a socket in there with the zook filter wrench. What a gigantic pain in the ass.

(Jynx @ Apr. 05 2007,09:58)
(Over_Easy @ Apr. 05 2007,03:46) Still using OEM oil filter and always will...just bought one yesterday matter of fact.  

ices_rofl.gif

Ya don't re-use an oil filter...I put on a new one with each oil change.  

Is it more money?  Certainly...about $10 per filter.  But I would never go back to a standard filter and have to screw around getting a socket in there with the zook filter wrench.  What a gigantic pain in the ass.
Tru dat
laugh.gif
...was initially thinking air filter for some reason.

However, they do make re-usable oil filters. The main difference is the filter media. The reusable filter contains a metal media instead of the more common paper media. The metal media can be removed and cleaned quickly and easily and then re-installed in the same filter housing. The cleaning process involves circulating or soaking the filter in a cleaning fluid and then blowing it with compressed air.

Regardless, the K&N is no better unless you may be drag or track racing and require the high-flow capacity.

Back