First oil change/filter removal

speed750

Registered
Is there any easy way to get the filter off or do you pull the right side fairing? Any tricks or tips?

Thanks!

(speed750 @ Dec. 16 2006,09:23) Is there any easy way to get the filter off or do you pull the right side fairing? Any tricks or tips?

Thanks!
Pull the right side fairing! I use Aluminum foil over the header to avoid oil getting on em, but there has to be something better than that! Be very careful with the drain plug! I use the Suzuki Oil filter wrench and Suzuki Filters.

Thanks
beerchug.gif

You can actually do it by taking off only the bottom fairing screws and pulling it aside as you work on it. You risk damaging the fairings, though, and it's a real pain to actually get in there and do the work.

It only takes a couple minutes to pull the fairings, though, so it's worth the effort.

--Wag--

Also after you take the 3 fairing bolts out of the nose, run a piece of tape along the edge of the nose where the right fairing meets. If you are not careful, the tabs on the right fairing can wreak havoc on the paint when re assembling

(carolinadoublej @ Dec. 16 2006,09:31) Also after you take the 3 fairing bolts out of the nose, run a piece of tape along the edge of the nose where the right fairing meets. If you are not careful, the tabs on the right fairing can wreak havoc on the paint when re assembling
+1

I didn't do that on my first oil change and ended up with little scratches. So good advice.

take the right side fairing off, takes 5 minutes, gives you access right to the filter but definately throw something over the header to keep oil from dripping on to it. I used a towel.
super.gif

I just pull the lower screws R-side only. Pull fairing out to just enough to get the old one out and new one in. (from aft of # 4 cyl header) Also a heavy duty hose clamp secured snugly on the filter with a long extention and the 5/16" socket you can bump with a rubber mallet etc to loosen the filter. If its too tight for this to budge it you are not oiling it with OLD OIL or over tightning it! This worked on mine @ the 200 mile breakin oil change with factory over tight filter! and they really over do it!
beerchug.gif

I would take the right side fairing off. Buy the Suzuki oil filter wrench, its not that much, and the job will go quick and easy.

Well I pulled the fairing, easy job. My new filter is a K&N, it's worth the price just for the nut on the end. It's all back together and waitng for tomorrows ride.
beerchug.gif

See, it's not so bad...I was a little apprehensive the first time I did it as well, but got all the same advice you did in this thread.
beerchug.gif

(8Daytona8 @ Dec. 16 2006,18:17)  Also a heavy duty hose clamp secured snugly on the filter with a long extention and the 5/16" socket you can bump with a rubber mallet etc to loosen the filter. If its too tight for this to budge it you are not oiling it with OLD OIL or over tightning it! This worked on mine @ the 200 mile breakin oil change with factory over tight filter! and they really over do it!
beerchug.gif
Great idea! Thanks
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I usually pull BOTH fairings and clean the engine and do a random test for bolt tightness ect.
plus I get to lie the fairings down and give them a good cleaning/inspection as well

Back