First gear issues

The “bike” could’ve started as a titled frame that was bought after the original bike was wrecked. Previous owner took his good motor and parts and slapped on that frame along with different fairings since his got messed up on the wreck. Of course this is all just a guess. There are several possibilities, but who knows besides the original owner.
Yeah, it could literally be anything. But the frame is polished and just about anything that can be chrome is, so at some point there was a lot of care put into the bike. I have a feeling that was quite a few years back though. Either way before too long it will be back to it's original glory. I have the title all squared away so it's time to start tearing it apart. I've been enjoying riding it in this hot sunny weather though so I may wait one more week before it comes apart.

Decided to get started on pulling the engine tonight. Just following the service manual and other than the threads on the frame slider bolts that go into the engine being a bit tore up, everything has gone nice and smooth. Will pick up on section 3-8 in the manual next time I work on it.

Noticed I don't have the oil cooler bracket so I ordered one of those off eBay.

But also saw some information about deleting the PAIR valve. While I have the engine out, is this something I should go ahead and do? Also noticed someone have swapped it to a 01-07 gas tank with the internal fuel pump so that is good. I cleaned the pre filter, there was a bunch of paint chips and gunk in the fuel bowl where the pre filter sock sits. Can't imagine that was good for it! Going to do the drill mod to the fuel pump assembly also since I found all that gunk and some of it was inside the fuel sock already.

Still no metal in the oil after putting about 200 miles on it so I'm happy about that. I should have drained the oil into something clean so I could reuse it, but too late for that now.

It was around 95 outside when I was riding around the other day and when sitting at stop lights the temps were creeping up a bit higher than I would like. May have to look into adding a second fan to the radiator and look into other options to help with cooling. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I keep forgetting to take pictures of things but I will try to start adding pics with my updates.

IMG_4493[1].JPG

IMG_4494[1].JPG

IMG_4454[1].JPG

IMG_4456[1].JPG

Glad you are getting things sorted on this bike. Engine Ice is the coolant I have put in all my bikes (Gen1 and Gen2, haven't changed it on the Gen3 yet). Has always kept the temp below normal. So much to check from a cooling perspective including the possibility of an air bubble. I would flush the coolant, check the temp sensor and radiator cap and refill/burp with Engine Ice.

These are how the bike sat when I picked it up. I will need to take some pics of how it looks now. The white parts are vinyl wrapped and were not done very well so the PO started to remove it and it peeled some of the paint so he stopped. I went ahead and removed it all and painted the parts around the dash glossy black.

Also removed the wheel spikes, plastic caliper covers, passenger peg covers, caps over the forks and rear handle.

IMG_9432[1].JPG

DZVE8241[1].JPG

Decided to take some pics of where it sits now. The windscreen is a cheap $18 one off amazon to get me by for now. I don't like how dark it is but the one that came on the bike was broken so I needed something. And all the brakes were shot. Luckily the front rotors are in good shape, but all pads and rear rotor needed replaced. Went with an Arashi rotor after reading some reviews and EBC FA188HH/FA63HH pads.

IMG_4501[1].JPG

IMG_4502[1].JPG

IMG_4503[1].JPG

IMG_4505[1].JPG

Undercut Trans work is 8-12 weeks out. Every shop advertises it but it seems they all just send it to Robinson. Schnitz, ape, rob bush, orient express, all have same lead time. There was a guy on Facebook awhile back that did it but I don’t have Facebook nor can I remember his name, I think it was JT or something, maybe u can find him.

If u drained all the fluids and didn’t see a bunch of shiny metal pieces, maybe u just have a bent fork. Once you flip the motor over and take the bottom case off, u can see the trans and work the gear shift and see what the deal is.
I have ordered the tooling for me to "TRY" undercutting my second gearbox
Worst case I throw the slipping gear away and replace/send out for undercutting

Always learning new things

Well I made it this far and discovered I don't have enough hands. I'm struggling to fully support the engine while I lift the bike up to slide the engine out. I'm afraid it is going to fall over if I don't support it.

I think I will need to wait for a friend to come over to lend a hand unless someone has an idea on how I can get this done myself.. I don't want to break anything and cost me more money.

IMG_4508[1].JPG

IMG_4506[1].JPG

Just got off the phone with Smither's. Trying to decide if I want to split this thing myself or just take it to Smither's. Trying to follow the service manual for the transmission portion is getting rather complicated.

Service manual ONE STEP at a time
That's my problem. The service manual wants you to tear down the entire engine. I just want at the transmission. I've been watching some youtube videos though and after watching them a few times it doesn't seem near as bad as I originally thought from looking through the manual.

Hunting for torque specs in the manual when putting it back together doesn't seem too much fun though!

Also gave Schnit's a call about their drop in racecut trans. They say the guy that cuts them can't find any cores so no idea if it will ever get restocked.

So without a core, you should be able to send yours in and have it done

Pull the motor Flip it over and pull the pan to look visually at the gears
I'm hoping this is an option and it isn't too torn up to send out and get cut. Waiting for someone to get here to help me get the engine out from under the bike then the fun will begin!

Well, definitely going to need a new clutch. It decided it wanted to come out in pieces. I'm amazed I didn't have more issues beyond first gear not working.

But I think it's time to do more reading and watching. I'm assuming there must also be bolts on the top side that hold the two halves of the case together because I've removed everything that seems to be holding it together. Or I may need to fully remove the water pump and the gear selector housing(not sure what that is actually called).

IMG_4511[1].JPG

IMG_4512[1].JPG

IMG_4513[1].JPG

IMG_4514[1].JPG

Looks like u might’ve missed the Little ones in front of the case bcuz two won’t come out without removing the filter and the pair valve comes off when removed,

Edited, I see u got those above I’m talking about, had to zoom in on the phone lol-take the 5-6 out from the top (The ones I mention below) and u should be good

and second, there are I wana say 5-6 long copper washered bolts that need to come off from the top case.

Gear selector housing u don’t need to touch

Last edited:
Looks like u might’ve missed the Little ones in front of the case bcuz two won’t come out without removing the filter and the pair valve comes off when removed,

Edited, I see u got those above I’m talking about, had to zoom in on the phone lol-take the 5-6 out from the top (The ones I mention below) and u should be good

and second, there are I wana say 5-6 long copper washered bolts that need to come off from the top case.

Gear selector housing u don’t need to touch
Thanks brother! Luckily she is split in half and ready for parts. Now I just have to figure out what the hell is wrong with it. I will post some pics...

Am I crazy, or are 2 of the gears already back cut? Also one of the shift forks looks a little ate up, but other than that I cant find much wrong other than the dogs are a little worn. Keep in mind I literally have no clue what I'm looking at.

Are there any angles or other pics I can take that would help? Also, if the two gears are back cut already, can anyone tell me which gears those are?

Ordering the Cometic engine case gasket kit from Schnitz, but trying to decide what clutch I need also. I'm thinking about just getting the OEM complete clutch kit. I don't ever plan to do anything more than exhaust, filter and simple power mods but if there is something better I should get please let me know.

IMG_4515[1].JPG

IMG_4516[1].JPG

IMG_4517[1].JPG

IMG_4518[1].JPG

IMG_4519[1].JPG

IMG_4520[1].JPG

IMG_4521[1].JPG

IMG_4522[1].JPG

IMG_4523[1].JPG

IMG_4524[1].JPG

Back