Stuck between gears.

Crazy Saxon

Registered
Hello. I just recently purchased a Gen1 with low miles. (6000). While on the freeway today, I went to shift from 5 to 6 and the transmission went into neutral for a split second free-revving before jumping into gear with a loud clunk/grind. Made me cringe I tell ya.

Was this just a fluke? Should I have the transmission looked at or anything?

Hmmm doesnt sound good. Never had this happen on any bikes I have owned in 5 to 6th sounds like the transmission under cut time.

May also want change the oil and flush it out.. the grinding could be metal shavings that now could be floating thru the engine creating other premature wear on the enternals.

Mine has done it in the past before i had the tranney undercut, since i did the work it has not done it since.
While it was apart, for the undercutting job, we did not find any thing wrong with it in the upper gears.

Change the oil and ride it, and ride it some more!
Also dont baby it, ride it like you stole it, and it will work better!

GIXERHP said:
Mine has done it in the past before i had the tranney undercut, since i did the work it has not done it since.
While it was apart, for the undercutting job, we did not find any thing wrong with it in the upper gears.

Change the oil and ride it, and ride it some more!
Also dont baby it, ride it like you stole it, and it will work better!

Yeah I have only had it do it when cruising around never when I was hard on the throttle. Did you have bent forks or shift rail?

My Gen 2 was like that when I first bought it. I was granny shifting it too early. When I rode it right and reved it out I no longer had the issue.

I've also caught a false neutral between 5 and 6 once before. I think it was just caused by me being a little lazy on the shift. A good firm pull on the lever seems to take care of the issue

Hello. I just recently purchased a Gen1 with low miles. (6000). While on the freeway today, I went to shift from 5 to 6 and the transmission went into neutral for a split second free-revving before jumping into gear with a loud clunk/grind. Made me cringe I tell ya.

Was this just a fluke? Should I have the transmission looked at or anything?
Do a search on here, its VERY common for low mileage first gen busa's to hit a false nuetral between 5th and 6th. Mine did it once brand new with maybe 30 miles on it, and never again. It usually goes away as the bike breaks in. You might want to move your shifter down slightly so you get better leverage. And just make sure you pull the shifter up firmly between the 5th-6th gear shift. Also when its getting close to oil change time the shifting will get rougher.

You just have to fully pull into gear. Lazy shifts is the cause of not pulling it all the way thru the shift.

This is common. False neutral between 5th and 6th. It's basically like missing the shift into 2nd and going into neutral. When yo grip it and rip it you better throw some foot into that shift or it will happen. Only happened to me when I was gettin' it. Haven't had the issue with my Gen II.

Back