First gear issues

nintastio

Registered
Hey everyone,

New guy here, just picked up my first Hayabusa with a transmission issue. I have been digging through the forum to find someone with an issue similar to mine but they all seem to be a little different. When I shift down into 1st I get the normal clunk as it goes into gear, but when I let the clutch out I get an awful grinding noise and the bike doesn't want to move. It feels like the teeth on first gear are gone. Second-sixth all work perfectly fine. If I just start off in second gear I have no issues with the bike at all.

I want to tear it down and get the issue resolved but I'm not overly familiar with the inner workings of a motorcycle transmission. I'm assuming I should just go ahead and swap the whole transmission, but unsure of a good source for parts. Does anyone have suggestions for a parts vendor, or an explanation of what may have happened to the trans? Also, are there any other parts I should order and replace while I'm in there?

Thanks for any help and suggestions that are offered. I'm excited to tear into this bike, but I want to make sure I have the parts I need before I do.

Thanks for the quick responses. It would be my first time digging into a motorcycle transmission, but I am very familiar with cars. I have built a few cars in the past(turbo hondas mainly and a stroked LS3 CTSV which is my current car). I do know knowledge on cars does not always translate to being able to work on a motorcycle though.

My goal was to have the parts needed before I tear it down, but it seems like I may need to tear it down to figure out exactly what I need to replace.

The bike is a 2000 with 21k miles on it. I have already drained all fluids(clutch, front and rear brakes, oil and coolant). This is typically the first thing I like to do when I purchase a new vehicle just so I know the condition and age of all fluids.

I've picked up a manual already and I'm not afraid of doing the work. My main issue is not being able to identify what all needs to be replaced. I'm just not familiar enough with the parts to identify what may be an issue. For that reason maybe taking it to a shop would be the best bet. I hate paying someone to work on my stuff though!

Also any idea what may have happened from the limited info provided? It feels like the teeth are literally gone from first gear. I could make a video after work today if that would help anything.

If i was to guess... I would say sounds like someone did a lot of kicking into first without a clutch. Really the only way to hurt first gear. I mean launches could beat it up, but that would mainly kill the clutch i would think.. Other option is someone hit first at decent speed on accident or purpose and screwed it up.

You could yank the motor and do all the initial work yourself if you think you can. Regardless it has to come off the bike and be torn down.

I doubt you need much in the way of new parts(an entire engine gasket kit, obviously), and possibly a gear or 2, maybe even a shift fork.
These should still be available new, in the oem parts sections of Motosport or Partzilla.
The entire transmission needs sent to a Machine shop for all the gears(even new ones) to be "undercut", which improves the gears engagement.
This is an average of $400-$500 to have done.
With gaskets and fluids, and you doing the work, under a grand to fix.

Also 1999, 2000, and 2001 ecu's are different from 02-07.
99-07 are all gen1, and the 99-01 can be upgraded to use the 02-07 ecu and components, which can be flashed for some good improvements.
The Small or Large airbox mod helps.
The extension blocks lift out of that factory swingarm.
And it would be wise to rebuild both master cylinders, all 3 calipers, and replace the brake lines(stainless steel).
Their age makes it more of a need than a good idea.
Engine Ice coolant and a 2nd fan mod.
90° valve stems with the new tires, you'll thank yourself later.

Welcome to the org

Welcome aboard. Looks like you have some solid advice already. After reading your original post I think is worth mentioning that the engine and transmission are one assembly, unlike a car. Like mentioned above, engine needs to come out and a fair bit of disassembly done to get to the gears in the transmission. Getting undercut unit is a great idea. I want to say I’ve seen places sell complete undercut assemblies, either out right or on an exchange basis. Good luck with the repairs!

Last edited:
Some excellent advice there sixpack, thanks for taking the time to write that up. I will look into upgrading to the second iteration of the gen1 ECU's. I was not aware there was a difference.

Also a great idea to rebuild the brakes. I've already ordered some EBC HH pads and the bike has stainless lines already, but a piston/master rebuild is a great idea. The front brake doesn't work worth a damn even after a fluid change. I feel like I have to REALLY yank the lever to get the bike to stop. The rear brake seems normal though. The PO did tell me he recently replaced the rear pads but not the front so maybe that has something to do with it.

mabupa, thanks for the trans info. I've watched every teardown video I can find on youtube already so I at least have a general understanding of how things come apart and go back together. It looks like a pretty straight forward job, which of course once you tear into something like that you find out it's not nearly as simple as it looks! My main concern is being able to identify what needs replaced once I do have it all apart, then replacing one part to find out there were more issues I failed to identify after putting it all back together. First time I worked on the trans in my CTSV I had to pull it 3 times before it was perfect. Hoping for no more than two teardowns with the Busa, lol.

I was looking at drop in undercut assemblies just to make sure I get it fixed in one shot. With my limited knowledge I think that might be my best route to go. Or just tear it down one weekend coming up and take a ton of pictures.

I was going to suggest this but it says they are sold out. Might be worth a call. It seems expensive but by the time you pick up a used transmission replace a couple gears then get it under cut you are right there money wise.
I was looking at that previously, seems like a great option if they were in stock. Worth a call to see if they plan to restock them soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

(..) I'm excited to tear into this bike, but I want to make sure I have the parts I need before I do.

hi man

superman with his x-ray-view is a marvel (or so) comic. ;)

so if you want to know what is wrong you have to open the trans and for that the engine needs to stand outside frame alone up side down.

then you can check what exactely is broken/demaged.

only after opening you can check and order broken pieces.

original suzuki manual :
if not downloaded yet do it now - here ! - the first 2 links are perfectly sufficient for your ´00.

Undercut Trans work is 8-12 weeks out. Every shop advertises it but it seems they all just send it to Robinson. Schnitz, ape, rob bush, orient express, all have same lead time. There was a guy on Facebook awhile back that did it but I don’t have Facebook nor can I remember his name, I think it was JT or something, maybe u can find him.

If u drained all the fluids and didn’t see a bunch of shiny metal pieces, maybe u just have a bent fork. Once you flip the motor over and take the bottom case off, u can see the trans and work the gear shift and see what the deal is.

Hey everyone,

New guy here, just picked up my first Hayabusa with a transmission issue. I have been digging through the forum to find someone with an issue similar to mine but they all seem to be a little different. When I shift down into 1st I get the normal clunk as it goes into gear, but when I let the clutch out I get an awful grinding noise and the bike doesn't want to move. It feels like the teeth on first gear are gone. Second-sixth all work perfectly fine. If I just start off in second gear I have no issues with the bike at all.

I want to tear it down and get the issue resolved but I'm not overly familiar with the inner workings of a motorcycle transmission. I'm assuming I should just go ahead and swap the whole transmission, but unsure of a good source for parts. Does anyone have suggestions for a parts vendor, or an explanation of what may have happened to the trans? Also, are there any other parts I should order and replace while I'm in there?

Thanks for any help and suggestions that are offered. I'm excited to tear into this bike, but I want to make sure I have the parts I need before I do.
Hi. Robinsons 613-369-9219. They did the trans on my 800+ HP LSR/street bike They will have all you need.

hi man

superman with his x-ray-view is a marvel (or so) comic. ;)

so if you want to know what is wrong you have to open the trans and for that the engine needs to stand outside frame alone up side down.

then you can check what exactely is broken/demaged.

only after opening you can check and order broken pieces.

original suzuki manual :
if not downloaded yet do it now - here ! - the first 2 links are perfectly sufficient for your ´00.
Haha, yeah I get what you are saying. I guess I was hoping it was a common, well known issue with a single point of failure but I guess I was being a bit optimistic there! I've watched a few videos and read through the service manual a few times and it seems pretty straight forward. I've pulled car engines and transmissions a few times so I don't expect it to be too bad, but I know I'll at least run into a stripped bolt and have to deal with some unexpected issues.

I do have the manual already but thanks for supply the link.

I just put all fresh fluids in it, should have thought about that a little further since I have to drain it all. Oops!

Undercut Trans work is 8-12 weeks out. Every shop advertises it but it seems they all just send it to Robinson. Schnitz, ape, rob bush, orient express, all have same lead time. There was a guy on Facebook awhile back that did it but I don’t have Facebook nor can I remember his name, I think it was JT or something, maybe u can find him.

If u drained all the fluids and didn’t see a bunch of shiny metal pieces, maybe u just have a bent fork. Once you flip the motor over and take the bottom case off, u can see the trans and work the gear shift and see what the deal is.
Yikes, yeah it seems like just about everything is delayed or backordered right now. I work in the IT industry and it's really bad. Luckily there is no rush to get the bike back together other than I want to get out and ride.

I did drain all the fluids and saw no sparkles and there was nothing on the magnetic drain plug. The way it clunks in first I imagine the dogs are going to be chewed up, but I clearly have no idea.
Hi. Robinsons 613-369-9219. They did the trans on my 800+ HP LSR/street bike They will have all you need.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep them in mind once I figure out what I need. I've looked through a built of your build log, that is one insane and impressive build you have going!

Took the bike to get inspected today and found out the engine has been swapped at some point from a recovered stolen bike. And it left the factory blue, but is now red. Luckily it was all done legally, but curious how many miles this engine has on it now...

Bikes rarely make it to 40k before they are parted out, wrecked, or stolen, so you probably got a motor with 10k-30k miles on it. Still fairly new in the grand scheme of things, just do your maintenance and fix the trans. Should last forever or u til u sell it.

Bikes rarely make it to 40k before they are parted out, wrecked, or stolen, so you probably got a motor with 10k-30k miles on it. Still fairly new in the grand scheme of things, just do your maintenance and fix the trans. Should last forever or u til u sell it.
Yeah this is definitely true. I'm not too worried about the engine being swapped. I am curious about the story behind it all though. I would love to know why the bike is now red and why the engine was swapped to begin with. If used vehicles could talk man would some of them have some great stories to tell!

Yeah this is definitely true. I'm not too worried about the engine being swapped. I am curious about the story behind it all though. I would love to know why the bike is now red and why the engine was swapped to begin with. If used vehicles could talk man would some of them have some great stories to tell!
The “bike” could’ve started as a titled frame that was bought after the original bike was wrecked. Previous owner took his good motor and parts and slapped on that frame along with different fairings since his got messed up on the wreck. Of course this is all just a guess. There are several possibilities, but who knows besides the original owner.

Back