First gear issues

Sold the CTSV and settled into the new house finally. Plenty of room in the new garage for activities without the Cadillac getting in the way!

So far this spring I have continued the journey to making this old turd shine again. First update was a tuning interface so I could check if this thing ever had a tune done, or what the status of the ECU was. It is a 2000 Hayabusa with a 2002 ECU so I wanted to check and see what may else may have been changed in there. After pulling the tune form the ECU it looks like it has never been touched. I have an occasional off idle stumble that I wanted to narrow down, however I raised the idle by about 100rpm to 1200ish and I haven't had an issue since. I only rode the bike for about 15 mintues though due to being sick currently :mad:

Also ordered some new stainless brake lines. Went with Core Moto after reading through some of the older posts. Still undecided if I want to upgrade to a Brembo master so I may wait a bit to put on the stainless lines.

Ordered an adjustable kick stand since the one currently on the bike is one of those chromed out tribal pattern stands for a lowered bike and I hate it. Not only because it makes the bike lean way too far since I put it back to stock height, but as you all know the chrome has to go! Especially anything chrome with sharp angles or edges. No thanks!

And on to the pictures.

IMG_5104[1].JPG

IMG_5105[1].JPG

IMG_5106[1].JPG

IMG_5107[1].JPG

Sold the CTSV and settled into the new house finally. Plenty of room in the new garage for activities without the Cadillac getting in the way!

So far this spring I have continued the journey to making this old turd shine again. First update was a tuning interface so I could check if this thing ever had a tune done, or what the status of the ECU was. It is a 2000 Hayabusa with a 2002 ECU so I wanted to check and see what may else may have been changed in there. After pulling the tune form the ECU it looks like it has never been touched. I have an occasional off idle stumble that I wanted to narrow down, however I raised the idle by about 100rpm to 1200ish and I haven't had an issue since. I only rode the bike for about 15 mintues though due to being sick currently :mad:

Also ordered some new stainless brake lines. Went with Core Moto after reading through some of the older posts. Still undecided if I want to upgrade to a Brembo master so I may wait a bit to put on the stainless lines.

Ordered an adjustable kick stand since the one currently on the bike is one of those chromed out tribal pattern stands for a lowered bike and I hate it. Not only because it makes the bike lean way too far since I put it back to stock height, but as you all know the chrome has to go! Especially anything chrome with sharp angles or edges. No thanks!

And on to the pictures.

View attachment 1666204

View attachment 1666205

View attachment 1666206

View attachment 1666207
Nice to see you around here again. Lines for brembo MC have different orientation on the banjo fittings, so it might be tricky to get the lines to work on a brembo unless you get longer ones to have enough line to make it work (I had longer than oem lines so it worked out for me). Bike is looking better and better as the chrome is removed.!

Nice to see you around here again. Lines for brembo MC have different orientation on the banjo fittings, so it might be tricky to get the lines to work on a brembo unless you get longer ones to have enough line to make it work (I had longer than oem lines so it worked out for me). Bike is looking better and better as the chrome is removed.!
Ah dang, should have looked into that a little closer before I ordered lines. I saw some people use an adapter so maybe there are other options? Either way I'll probably leave the brakes alone for now once I get the new lines on.

I'm trying to decide if I want to order a new set of Chinese fairings. My paint job looks okay in pictures, but it does not look good in person. And it's pretty soft in some spots still and I don't get why. It's like it still hasn't fully cured yet, but I painted it last fall. I have no business painting stuff in the first place, not something I am good at.

Paint the tank black and be done. Chinese fairings are thin, the tank cover doesn’t fit good at all so you’ll have to paint the tank anyway, and black and chrome look pretty good. Swingarm and frame I doubt you’ll change so if everything else is black, pretty nice. Saves you $550 buying painted fairings.

Paint the tank black and be done. Chinese fairings are thin, the tank cover doesn’t fit good at all so you’ll have to paint the tank anyway, and black and chrome look pretty good. Swingarm and frame I doubt you’ll change so if everything else is black, pretty nice. Saves you $550 buying painted fairings.
The tank has a few dents and overall not in great shape, which is why I haven't painted it yet. I'm not sure I have the skillset to remove the dents and it feels wrong to paint it with dents in it. I hate not having any decals on the bike but I can't really justify putting decals on crap paint. I don't get why but in some spots I can indent the paint with my fingernail. Other spots its hardered like it should.

Also some pieces have cracks in them, deep gouges and melted. Ideally I would love to get some new OEM fairings, but if I did find some they certainly wouldn't be within my budget.

A better way to spend the $5-600 is to start swapping out parts for carbon fiber parts. Buy a front fender, a tail, the hump, piece by piece.
I am a sucker for some carbon fiber...this may be the way to go.

The tank has a few dents and overall not in great shape, which is why I haven't painted it yet. I'm not sure I have the skillset to remove the dents and it feels wrong to paint it with dents in it. I hate not having any decals on the bike but I can't really justify putting decals on crap paint. I don't get why but in some spots I can indent the paint with my fingernail. Other spots its hardered like it should.

Also some pieces have cracks in them, deep gouges and melted. Ideally I would love to get some new OEM fairings, but if I did find some they certainly wouldn't be within my budget.

I am a sucker for some carbon fiber...this may be the way to go.
I was going to go full CF on my bike but after researching it a bit more, I'd have as much into the CF as I had into buying the bike (used) so shut that down...I did end up still getting the rear signal light pods as they were ordered and couldn't be stopped.

......But the CF would have been pretty cool....

I like @Dnyce 's Idea, that would be a good way to go...they might even paint the whole bike as a teaching event as plastic can be tricky to paint....

If u don’t wana go full carbon, Go to a community college, find their auto shop paint and body teacher, and let them use the tank to fix the dents and teach. Usually u can find a kid in there with decent skills that will help u out for the cost of materials.
I like this idea! I actually went to a vocational school half the day during high school for computer support but they also had an auto body class. They were always looking for projects to work on for teaching and I totally forgot about that.

I was going to go full CF on my bike but after researching it a bit more, I'd have as much into the CF as I had into buying the bike (used) so shut that down...I did end up still getting the rear signal light pods as they were ordered and couldn't be stopped.

......But the CF would have been pretty cool....

I like @Dnyce 's Idea, that would be a good way to go...they might even paint the whole bike as a teaching event as plastic can be tricky to paint....
If I go the CF route, it wouldn't be all plastics that got replaced. No way I could ever afford that.

But about the only pieces I would say are salvageable are the front nose cone and the tail. The side fairings need replaced and I couldn't see putting any more money into them than a couple cans of spray paint like I have so far. They honestly belong in the trash, but so did the whole bike when I first got it! lol

If I go the CF route, it wouldn't be all plastics that got replaced. No way I could ever afford that.

But about the only pieces I would say are salvageable are the front nose cone and the tail. The side fairings need replaced and I couldn't see putting any more money into them than a couple cans of spray paint like I have so far. They honestly belong in the trash, but so did the whole bike when I first got it! lol
The school project is the way to go...they might be able to salvage all the parts and make them sound again...

Either that or try EBay and see if you can get parts for a decent price and then take them to the school...???

I know I’m all over the place with ideas but if you have to buy new fairings, you might as well buy new painted fairings and have the school match the tank to the style you buy. If you buy unpainted fairings u risk having to do extra prep to get them paintable, and the price difference vs the effort isn’t worth it. If u buy used fairings, they’re used. Possibly broken tabs, heat cycled so could be brittle, and u have to prep it for paint unless u magically find black ones, or the school does it completely free, bcuz even the materials will cost u

I know I’m all over the place with ideas but if you have to buy new fairings, you might as well buy new painted fairings and have the school match the tank to the style you buy. If you buy unpainted fairings u risk having to do extra prep to get them paintable, and the price difference vs the effort isn’t worth it. If u buy used fairings, they’re used. Possibly broken tabs, heat cycled so could be brittle, and u have to prep it for paint unless u magically find black ones, or the school does it completely free, bcuz even the materials will cost u
My original plan was to buy Chinese fairings already painted. I saw a few others have bought them and had posted good feedback depending on the seller, which was why I thought that may be a good option. I even contacted one of the companies and they are willing to do customizations for no extra cost.

The school option will have to wait a few months since it is the end of the school year.

Ah dang, should have looked into that a little closer before I ordered lines. I saw some people use an adapter so maybe there are other options? Either way I'll probably leave the brakes alone for now once I get the new lines on.

I'm trying to decide if I want to order a new set of Chinese fairings. My paint job looks okay in pictures, but it does not look good in person. And it's pretty soft in some spots still and I don't get why. It's like it still hasn't fully cured yet, but I painted it last fall. I have no business painting stuff in the first place, not something I am good at.
Chinese fairings have mixed reviews at best. I think about the only person that loves his is @Kiwi Rider and his bike sure looks great. I know another member ordered some and ended up replacing them with OEM later on. I personally put together my set of gray fairings with a combination of new and, like new, used parts sourced from eBay.

Biggest thing with China is the tank cover. Useless. Community colleges over here have that class in every session

I’m in the same boat for my 1k, just gonna buy Chinese ones and match the tank to it. Can’t beat a $500 set of fairings with custom paint. I really wanted some race fairings but nobody makes em anymore for old bikes

Back