First Gear Issues......Help

Speed

Registered
I have a 2003 Busa with 22,000 miles and my first gear is doing some strange things. At 7,000 rpm its LIKE the clutch is pulled in and all drive stops. It will rev as high as I let it with no drive. If i leave the bike in first and the rpm's drop below 7,000 'drive' returns. I normally shift before the 7,000 mark now to avoid it and the bike reacts normally in all other gears to red line.

Here's the kicker: if I'm downshifting into first the drive is there at 9,-10,000+ rpm and engine slows the bike down like it should. But as soon as I twist the throttle and hit 7,000 rpm the bike jerks and nothing.

Here's what I've done so far to try and fix the problem: New clutch, all o.e.m. plates, springs. Drained master, o.e.m rebuild kit, changed fluid(there is no slippage other then the whole 7,000 rpm thing). Checked the slave and it seems fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Impossible :dunno: and if I down shift at 9 or 10 K my azz is washing out on me because it's locked up.

The bike is definitely snaky at that point. For arguments sake tho, lets say I shift down at 7,500 rpm the bike operates normally by slowing itself down but, if I was to twist the throttle at say 6,000 rpm soon as it reaches 7,000 rpm the drive gives out and the bike revs up like the clutch is pulled in. If I go back into second the bike operates normally.

And it's very possible. Its happening! Thanks anyway.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for in the clutch? I didn't change the basket as it seemed ok but I'm no mechanic and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I was afraid of your post.

Would a bent fork make it skip out of gear?(it does not skip out of gear but I was told it would or should with a bent fork) Would I feel something in the shifter?

Yes. I am grasping at straws. The last thing I want is a bent fork and what comes with that.

Is this issue only in first gear?

Yes, transmission pull engine and split cases.
No, all gears, Pull clutch including basket and inspect all parts.

It only happens in first gear once I hit 7000 rpm. All other 5 gears are fine and strong. No slipppage whatsoever throughout rpm's.

I don't think the bike is worth the costs of opening the cases. I got the thing for a steal so if this is the case I may use the money for the repair towards a new busa.

I will however have the clutch, basket and all other clutch related parts inspected by someone in the know.

A sad day.

take the engine out...flip it over and split the cases...replace worn parts...it is cheaper than a new bike. It is an involved job...a few hours and a few days to get parts that you need

Was this issue ever fixed? My bike is having the same issue. Looking for some ideas I'm pulling the engine this weekend.

I assume you already checked the clutch pack height? You can do a quick check just looking through the oil filler hole.

Also, not as likely with Suzuki lever design but aftermarket levers can make a clutch slip. That has happened on my 14.

Back