First Busa - Woo Hoo!

I've only had to adjust my stock chain once, lubed every now and again...no problems, 7000 miles...great, did I just jinx myself again?!  I'll be posting about a broken chain tomorrow...jeez...
Michelle,
Your not riding hard enough, I have to adjust my chain just about everyother ride. You need to start doing wheelies, rolling burnouts, and twisties starting today.  
tounge.gif

I expect your next post to read something like this:
I too am concerned about the chains strength and the amount of stretch it has had. It seems I have to adjust this thing after every ride. Not a hard core rider but like 1/2 mile long wheelies, tripling the posted speed in corners, and a 200mph run once or twice a day!
Update:
My chained snapped while racing a ZX-10 with turbo, nitrous, blower, and a jet engine, dammit...  
face7.gif
Ha...ha JT2...

I'm going to need you to come to VA so I can smack you around a bit...
mad.gif
tounge.gif

Now...the correct answer is that I'm a girl and thus don't ride the Busa hard...I respect it and as such, seem to have parts lasting longer than most...I'm rather happy with my bragging rights I've staked here on hayabusa.org, so, if you please, stop trying to corrupt my innocent little mind into doing dangerous and irrational things...

laugh.gif

tounge.gif

If you ride it aggresively change the chain immediately. If you ride conservatively don't worry and keep an eye on it. I strongly suggest changing the chain right now before you ride anymore but I am biased agains the stock chain since I broke mine and the engine cases. Just my .02 though.
I agree 100% My stock chain was fine on the street and every day riding but after about 3 passes down the strip the chain was stretched bad and was about to break (the pins were bent bad). As long as you baby the busa the stocker will be fine but once you start beating on it I would get a chain.

Factory chain is fine. I lube it every 250mi or 2wks, whichever comes first, but just to ease wear. You could go a good deal further (e.g., if you were on a long trip) without worrying about an outright failure, just accelerated wear.

With care, you could expect 20k miles out of the chain and sprockets. Without care, less, but no biggie -- chains and sprockets are cheap and easy to swap.

Congrats on landing a Busa.
Chain lube, try to learn the clean and chain wax method.
See how quick I can put this, it's a chain bust story. Bought an engine with a myterious history. One thing was obvious, was the damage a busted chain did. It sheared the clutch pin. Busted through the sprocket cover taking out cover mount point. Stopped going with a torn hole in the radiator hose in that area. It's pretty violent occurance in the sproket area.
Seen riders bust chains riding. All of a sudden there is a snake looking thing wiggling around on the ground and the bike slowly coming to a stop. Chains busted during acceleration.
Did hear a story from a rider who was on a cross country trip. Found his chain after a few hundred miles went loose. Kept tightening and putting on the miles. Finally made it home without it busting. It does show how much out of spec a chain can go and still hold up.
Should be able to tell if your rough on the chain by how many adustments made. New chain takes few adjustments to settle in. After that it's stretch.

I've only had to adjust my stock chain once, lubed every now and again...no problems, 7000 miles...great, did I just jinx myself again?!  I'll be posting about a broken chain tomorrow...jeez...
Michelle,
Your not riding hard enough, I have to adjust my chain just about everyother ride. You need to start doing wheelies, rolling burnouts, and twisties starting today.  
tounge.gif

I expect your next post to read something like this:
I too am concerned about the chains strength and the amount of stretch it has had. It seems I have to adjust this thing after every ride. Not a hard core rider but like 1/2 mile long wheelies, tripling the posted speed in corners, and a 200mph run once or twice a day!
Update:
My chained snapped while racing a ZX-10 with turbo, nitrous, blower, and a jet engine, dammit...  
face7.gif
Ha...ha JT2...

I'm going to need you to come to VA so I can smack you around a bit...
mad.gif

tounge.gif

Now...the correct answer is that I'm a girl and thus don't ride the Busa hard...I respect it and as such, seem to have parts lasting longer than most...I'm rather happy with my bragging rights I've staked here on hayabusa.org, so, if you please, stop trying to corrupt my innocent little mind into doing dangerous and irrational things...

laugh.gif
Have seen more of VA than I care too. Corporate HQ's for the company I used to work for, Circuit City, is in Richmond, VA and I have been all over the state. Good old Lunchbag, sorry, Lynchberg, VA was pretty awesome in the fall though! Would be some great rides.
smile.gif

Staying away from the dangerous things is smart of you, but aren't women already irrational?
rock.gif
laugh.gif
Generally speaking of course and present company excluded.

I better stop before I get myself in trouble with you!
PS, awesome job puttin that ZX-10 down!
thumbs-up.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

Welcome!
I had my first service yesterday by the dealer. I didnt want to based on what they do, but like some here, I live by Murphys Law and to satisfy Suzuki in case I need them for warrenty work, let them touch my bike for the first one only. I had my first service yesterday by the dealer. I didn’t want to based on what they do, but like some here, I live by Murphy’s Law and to satisfy Suzuki in case I need them for warranty work, let them touch my bike for the first one only. I wasn’t there 5 minutes and they started talking about the chain and how much of a weak point it is and that they have had 3 people there with snapped chains. One guy they said needed his adjusted a lot at 600 miles and came back at 800 miles with a broken chain and cases on the bike to the tune of 4k worth of damage! They said Suzuki would fix it because chains are a wear item like tires. So I asked them how the guy rides his bike. They say hard, grabbing gears, drag racing and such. I said well, that’s not really "normal riding" for most people, and I don’t ride like that so my chain will be fine. I think they were just fishing for more money. I will just keep mine clean and well lubed.

<!--EDIT|defuzer565
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095980348 -->

Had to replace mine after about 5K. But I had purchased a dismantled Busa & don't know the history. I do know I ride her hard.

Here's the saga;

Welcome to the board...I'm pretty new here too...
My busa is practically stock except for a few minor mods...one of them being a "scottoiler", which is an automatic chain oiler worked by vacuum.
I know they are rarely used here in the states, but in europe they are practically standard equipment from new.
It keeps the chain lubed,runs it cooler and best of all increases the life of both chain and sprockets.
An added bonus is it does actually work too ...
If anyone would like any more info please contact me...I have pictures on the installation and would be glad to share them to anyone interested.

Back