just switched my rear sprocket

johnny77053

Registered
<span style='color:red'>i just switched my rear sprocket to a 42t and iam having problems lining up the rear wheel on one side of the swing arm(RIGHT SIDE) am showing 3 lines and on the another side (LEFT SIDE)am show 6 lines can it be the brake bar or is it the chain i was reading another post about the set up and they said i could keep the stock chain please someone help</span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span>

Try this.
First adjust the chain slack.
Then with a tape measure, measure the distance From the center of the rear axle to the center of the swingarm pivot axle.
Adjust the other side to the same length. Now both sides, left&right, should be the same.
Check your chain slack again, adjust if needed.

This system works great for me cause i have a tag mount on the left side and the factory chain adjustment marks don't work with my tag bracket.

I reread your post.
It sounds like you didn't adjust the other side to compensate for the larger sprocket. Do that and you should be good.
Don't forget to use a torque wrench when tightening your rear axle.
It's 72 ft lbs.

Check your owners manual. It has the procedure to adjust the chain which explains how to use the chain adjusters.

There's an adjustment rod and a locknut. First pullout the cotter pin and loosen the rear axle, then set the axle adjusters. When the wheel is adjusted and straight, tighten the axle then snug up the adjuster locknuts on each side. I'd recommend a quickpin for the axle nut instead of a cotter pin. A quick pin is the same kind of pin they use for hood pins on cars. I'll post a pic.

About the only way I've found to truly align the rear wheel is with the string line method. You can get it deadly accurate with the sting. There is a post on here someplace as I remember discribing how it's done.

I reread your post.
It sounds like you didn't adjust the other side to compensate for the larger sprocket. Do that and you should be good.
Don't forget to use a torque wrench when tightening your rear axle.
It's 72 ft lbs.
found out what it was i think my stock chain is too short and its putting my wheel in a bind do you recomend adding links or just replacing the chain i thought i would be able to use my stock chain with a 42 guess not

Are the adjusters all the way in? A 43 should not take up that much chain. I don't understand how you know what to do to change the sprocket, but you cannot adjust the chain?

Screw in both adjusters and start from there.

I just read the wheel alignment thread.

Wouldn't simply measuring center to center of the axle and swingarm pivot, and making both sides the equal measurement, be easier?

<span style='color:red'>i just switched my rear sprocket to a 42t and iam having problems lining up the rear wheel on one side of the swing arm(RIGHT SIDE) am showing 3 lines and on the another side (LEFT SIDE)am show 6 lines can it be the brake bar or is it the chain i was reading another post about the set up and they said i could keep the stock chain please someone help</span><span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span>
If you look at the square aluminium blocks the axle passes through.  (The bits of metal the adjusters touch)

You will notice they can be inserted into the swingarm two ways.  I suspect you have one of those in the wrong way around.

Photo attached - look how the end touching the adjuster is twice as long as the end towards the end of the swingarm.

The nut side also has the longer end towards the adjuster.

Put one of those in the wrong way and you get the problem you describe.

Good luck,

Steve

adjuster.jpg

Back