Finite Mathematics

Big Tuna

Donating Member
Registered
My wife told me tonite that she needs some special expensive calculator for summer classes. All the info that I have at the moment is that the calculator costs about $200....Anybody know what she's talking about? Thanks in advance....Jay

SHOCKED.gif
 Not very much info there
wink.gif
. What's it going to be used for
rock.gif

$200 for a high end graphing calculator is a little high,but not out of the ballpark. If you shop around, you can probably get the one she needs for around $150-$175.  My guess is the prof wants them to have the TI-89 Titanium.

Just add it to the cost of education.  Tuition, books, calculator, etc.  Wish her good luck.  I tried taking calculus in a summer session. It was a killer.

My son is in high school and his was $130. . Check out amazon.

Thanks guys.....I gonna see if she can find out tomorrow and let her post...lol...I about needed an interpreter when she tried to explain it to me...lol

Most educators require a specific calculator because that's the one they know how to operate and it allows them to easily assist their students if needed. Good Luck and just think about how many times over she will repay you for the cost down the road.

Yeah, a graphing scientific calculator. If she has a PDA, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY (Yes, that's THREE HIGHLies in BIG type!), Infinity Softworks' PowerOne Graph. I'm really hoping she has a PDA so you can get this for her because it is, without question, the BEST product you can use for a calculus class if for no other reason, than because it has a very short learning curve.

Be sure it's approved by the professor of the class first, though.

http://www.infinitysoftworks.com/products/poweronegraph.html

I used this when I took Calculus a couple of years ago and it literally saved my ass, bro.

--Wag--

My Cisco CCNE lab book was $225 5 years ago and we spend that kind of money on levers and controls.  
tounge.gif

Pony up for the one the prof says to get and walk away.

Buy that thing as soon as possible, it will help her so much its rediculous. I used a TI-83 through school.

dadofthree is right too, many educators want you to use something specific.

(Ononewheel @ Jan. 10 2007,05:25) Buy that thing as soon as possible, it will help her so much its rediculous.
Double ditto on that one.

--Wag--

dont fall for that old line!!! the calculator is $25 the purse to carry it in is $175
poke.gif

I used the TI-89 in College also. It has a port to hook up to your computer to download , sample tests, games, formulas, games, and lots of other cool utilities, and games. I stored all my formulas, games, and it proved invaluable when graphing, and playing games.
beerchug.gif

(warwgn @ Jan. 10 2007,12:09) dont fall for that old line!!! the calculator is $25 the purse to carry it in is $175
poke.gif
laugh.gif

Man, school has gotten pricey! I got by with a fancy financial calculator, but I know I didn't pay much for it...good grief...

Good luck
smile.gif

I have a ti-83 silver ed. with computer hookup and a ti-86, plus a couple other older models. I teach math but this is my last year teaching so I'd let one go for a good price.
Let me know.
B

(VaBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,15:04)
(warwgn @ Jan. 10 2007,12:09) dont fall for that old line!!! the calculator is $25 the purse to carry it in is $175
poke.gif
laugh.gif

Man, school has gotten pricey!  I got by with a fancy financial calculator, but I know I didn't pay much for it...good grief...

Good luck  
smile.gif
Ain't that the truth! I used a slide rule for all my classes.

Back