Junk Mail

mr8ball

Registered
Anyone know how to stop junk mail? My wife's aunt live with us and she is 87 years young and she gets a mail box full of junk mail everyday. I have to take 20 to 25 Walmart bags of this junk to the recycle been every month. Most of it is from people wanting money and you know what that leads to with the elderly. Yes 800 bucks overdrawn and 1 box of checks in a month. She said she had no clue she had done it. It has gotten out of hand. I tried talking about it but I am not sure it will help but if I could put a stop to her getting it I know that would help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Collect all the provided Return Mail envelopes. Stuff as much of the junk mail into those envelopes as you can and pop them in the mailbox. Folks get annoyed when they pay to have the stuff they mail out in bulk returned to them.

Yea thats an idea. I really need to get something done about it. I cant hardly get the mail box open anymore. I googled it with no results and ask the mail man about it. He told me he did not know of anything and I could ask the main PO but he felt sure that if they knew they would not tell. After all that is what they live off now days (junk mail) with the net and all.

I dont recieve as much, but if I want to stop a certain company, I dont open the mail and I write with big letters "WRONG ADDRESS, DOES NOT LIVE HERE ANYMORE" on the outside's envelope. :laugh:

Locking mailbox and someone to filter the mail is about the only way. The P.O. will not return bulk mail to the sender.

If she is spending money she cannot afford, you and your wife need to see about getting a Power of Attorney (you should already have one) and start handling her finances. It is common and the “charities” prey on the elderly. The “charities” are usually contract fundraisers working under the true charities name for a commission. In actual practice, the charity is the one getting a very small commission from the fundraisers. The charity the elderly are trying to help may only get 10 cents on the dollar. The same fundraiser may work for 20 or more charities. If she sends money to one, they will start send her others.

We started handling my grandmother’s finances about 5 years ago. Her post office box would be filled with this stuff. 1-5 a day. If I waited 2-3 weeks to pick it up, I would have a note in the box to pick up a large bag at the counter. Now we get 3-5 a month except during Christmas it picks up a bit. My grandmother could afford it but felt more obligated because they sent her cards and labels. Now we send a bit directly to a few of the better charities so they get the full amount.

Good Luck!

You could submit a change of address form for her to a PO Box so that you can manage her mail. just pick it up at the PO Box each day/week/whatever and stuff it into the mail from your mailbox. Just tell her you found a way to get the bad stuff to stop. Its an added cost but much less than letting her dig her way into that kind of hole.

Try here it is the FTC.gov site
Unsolicited Mail, Telemarketing and Email: Where to Go to “Just Say No”

It won't stop it all but it will put a dent in it.

What ever you do don't write deceased on the envelope. That can cause a few financial issues if the banks think your dead. My Grandmother thought that was a good idea and it took a while to clear up.

LOL I had a roommate in school that ran his cards up like crazy and would not pay them. He still took trips all the time and never paid anyone. The calls were so regular I never set an alarm for 6 months, the phone rang at 8am, 815am, 830am, etc. I finally told them that he had died in a scuba diving accident in the islands and please do not call again. Never heard from anyone after telling about 5 of them this story. Apparently clearing it up is a HUGE issue, he finally got his act together and tried to buy a house....everyone denied him and upon looking into things, his credit was better because he had been dead for 10yrs :rofl::rofl:

so um yeah, dont tell anyone someone has passed on its a mother trucker to fix from what I hear :laugh:

LOL I had a roommate in school that ran his cards up like crazy and would not pay them. He still took trips all the time and never paid anyone. The calls were so regular I never set an alarm for 6 months, the phone rang at 8am, 815am, 830am, etc. I finally told them that he had died in a scuba diving accident in the islands and please do not call again. Never heard from anyone after telling about 5 of them this story. Apparently clearing it up is a HUGE issue, he finally got his act together and tried to buy a house....everyone denied him and upon looking into things, his credit was better because he had been dead for 10yrs :rofl::rofl:

so um yeah, dont tell anyone someone has passed on its a mother trucker to fix from what I hear :laugh:

:rofl:

If she doesn't get any needed mail just change her address. Let it go to 1234 Main St in Bugtustle Oregon :)

Done.

She does get some but very little needed mail. She got a stack today at least 6" tall. I met the mail man at the box because the stuff it in so tight, sometimes its all they can do to get the box closed. I am going to the PO and see what they suggest and go from there. Some of the links that were posted were for CC's offers but she does not get any of them. Everything she gets is for charity. We are the POA and are trying to figure out what to do. Thanks again for all the advice

Collect all the provided Return Mail envelopes. Stuff as much of the junk mail into those envelopes as you can and pop them in the mailbox. Folks get annoyed when they pay to have the stuff they mail out in bulk returned to them.

This is what I do too.

I too have done this and it seems to have worked.

Back