FI light keeps comming on...

ks-waterbug

Group Buy Guy
Donating Member
Registered
Then the light stays on until I shut the bike off and restart it. Whats going on? Haven't got the code yet but the bike only has 78 miles on it and it does this everytime I accelerate hard to at least 6k....

Dunno Bug, haven't heard that one yet, maybe a bad sensor?

Me thinks dealers has a look
rock.gif

Low grade fuel causing detonation? Just throwing an option out since we're waiting to see what the code is
smile.gif

Perhaps it's Suzuki telling you not to accelerate hard to 6000 when the bike is brand new, with less than 100 miles on it.....
whistling.gif

Okay, I'm just kidding, just trying to add some levity here....
sadnews.gif

Lemme ask you this: does the light always come on when you accelerate to 6000 RPM, or does it come on only when you accelerate hard to 6000?
rock.gif

Bone stock and it only does this when I push it hard then drop off the throttle quickly... It resets itself everytime when I turn the key off then back on. Can someone with a manual or 08 tell me if I can get the code the same way as previous years? Paper clip...... ?

Maybe a suzuki thing? My wife's '06 GSXR 600 would do that exact same thing, exact same thing. Kinda funny to hear it happens to busa's too. She hate that bike and got rid of it though
cool.gif

Mine is doing the same thing except mine didn't start the FI light deal until 1000 miles with severe drag strip flogging  
race.gif
with open megaphone exhaust. I have been doing the same, stop the bike, turn off ignition switch, let it sit for 30 seconds or so and restart with no FI light.

I am on my 3rd set of exhaust now running dual scorpion carbon slip-ons. I was thinking  the FI (fault indicator) light was due to no back pressure with the megaphones but the scorpions have plenty of backpressure.

I took it to the zuki shop and they checked the code, same way as any other sportbike, plug in the little toggle switch and read the codes on the dash. Mine had no code shown and the TPS, throttle position showed to be set correctly. The 08 shop manual states that in dealer mode the codes are stored for retrieval later. Apparently that's not correct or we/he did not know how to retrieve the stored codes. In user mode I suppose the code has to be read while the FI light is on?

I ran 2 tanks of 110 octane gas thru it and it seemed to help for a while but yesterday the light came on 3 times.  

A couple guys I talked to yesterday said that with certian exhaust systems you have to clip a wire to keep the FI light off.

Waterbug- Does you bike stumble when the light is illuminated? Mine does sometimes.

In a similar thread last week someone linked a Brock statement that said the FI light was related to the O2 sensor and they sell a jumper that will correct the problem phone 937-912-0054, I am going to call them today and see what up, they also stated that a power commander would help.

hijack.gif

Sorry for the long post and hijack but I am in search of the FI fix myself.

Bo thanks for posting up, I looking forward to hearing what you find out! With mine being bone stock can't imagine for the life of me why it would be displaying this light... As far as stumbling can't be for sure as I always cut the throttle back off (still breaking her in). Then I have to pull over and kill it for a few!

Thats correct! There was a Brock related post pointing to that issue, it will be good to know WHAT exhaust Bug has and IF he installed the PC3 this might help us newbies before we make mistakes in our set ups or purchases. But if you look at his post he said "bone stock" kinda makes me want to put at least 1000 miles on her before I go changing anything to see how she does, is there a "Report 2008 Hayabusa problems" thread started yet? Bug, you may have won that distinction by default, let us know more when you can.
ohthedrama.gif

Thats correct! There was a Brock related post pointing to that issue, it will be good to know WHAT exhaust Bug has and IF he installed the PC3 this might help us newbies before we make mistakes in our set ups or purchases. But if you look at his post he said "bone stock" kinda makes me want to put at least 1000 miles on her before I go changing anything to see how she does, is there a "Report 2008 Hayabusa problems" thread started yet? Bug, you may have won that distinction by default, let us know more when you can.  
ohthedrama.gif
Good call....

More testing you could try (just to see if the mis-behavior still occurs): try stepping down to Mode 'C', and see if you can consistently duplicate the problem. If it prevents the FI light from illuminating, try Mode 'B' and see if that reproduces it.

This testing might not reveal any difference at all, but if it does, it's just that much more info for the Services techs to work with (and have to discuss with Suzuki Tech division, if it comes down to it).

Definitely keep us appraised, please.
thumb_up.gif

The code would be most helpful... from what I can see all the '08 models now have an o2 sensor and so they are likely running a closed loop system. Anything that disturbs data input to the ECU could trigger the system to go into "open loop" but should post a code at the same time. Open loop (or limp mode) may show a marked decrease in power and/or fuel economy. It can also damage the catalytic converter over time.

Regardless, this would be a dealer "emissions" issue in all likelihood (cars require a 5 year/50K warranty on emissions issues and I would guess bikes would too)

Bo thanks for posting up, I looking forward to hearing what you find out! With mine being bone stock can't imagine for the life of me why it would be displaying this light... As far as stumbling can't be for sure as I always cut the throttle back off (still breaking her in). Then I have to pull over and kill it for a few!
Yea with your's being brand new low miles I think you may be chasing a little different gremlin than me.

I rode 100 plus pretty hard miles Saturday with the 110 octane and the light did not come on. Yesterday I filled up again with the 110 oct (local racetrack Motorsport ranch opened a gas station on the hiway and you can pump race gas 116, 110, 100 right out of the pump using your debit card, pretty cool. btw the 110 is almost $6 per gallon) anyway back to the story, I rode 50 miles yesterday with no problem, then a gen I and I did a hard roll-on on the interstate then I did 5 miles of twisties in the hi rpm range hammering the straights real hard and when I slowed down the flippin FI light came on. But as i was pulling over to the side of the road the bike starting stumbling and missing, after I reset it came on 2 more times while i was riding easy, then I rode 40 miles home at 80 mph and it never came on again, go figure.

More testing you could try (just to see if the mis-behavior still occurs): try stepping down to Mode 'C', and see if you can consistently duplicate the problem. If it prevents the FI light from illuminating, try Mode 'B' and see if that reproduces it.

This testing might not reveal any difference at all, but if it does, it's just that much more info for the Services techs to work with (and have to discuss with Suzuki Tech division, if it comes down to it).

Definitely keep us appraised, please.  
thumb_up.gif
Warchild, funny you should ask, actually I was in B mode when it came on once yesterday. I was thinking, change the map fix the problem, but that didn't happen. So that is telling me that if someone spends $400 on a power commander they very well could continue to have the FI fault.

Sort of like trying to navigate a room with the lights out until you get the failure code..... suppose you could stumble around and eventually find the issue but the ECU is your friend here... get the codes, start troubleshooting for the dealer..

On a side note, Bo, why are running such high octane in your Busa? Its not getting you any more power, unless your spraying it or boosting it and need the octane to bring the flame spread down to control combustion and cylinder pressure. Running 110 is going to in fact slow your bike down, unless of course you went and added a hefty amount of timing advance? Just food for thought.

Interesting to see what comes of this FI light issue.

Back