Fatal Sportbike Crash in CT...depressed

NoMoreZX11

Registered
I was coming home from dinner with my old man tonight and I was instantly stuck in a major traffic jam as I merged onto 84E here in CT and what I saw next was truly horrible...

A body partially covered by a tarp, a girls shoe in the middle of the highway and 2 state cop cars trying to block off the area. There were fire trucks and EMT workers putting flares down and as I moved farther along I noticed a mangled Red bike, looked like a Ninja maybe, surrounded by what appeared to be some kind of quik dry stuff. The bike was pretty bad and I noticed on the side of the highway 2 other bikes with solo passengers sitting there and 2 cars pulled over talking with officers. Not sure what happened but as a brand new Busa owner I am real depressed cause it reminds ya how fragile you are out there on the highway with these bikes. I don't know if this particular accident involved alcohol and/or stupidity but regardless it's a sobering/depressing site to see.

If I hear any more details I'll post them...for God's sake man, ride safe.
sad.gif

I'll tell you what else is depressing...calling one of your younger riding buddies up to confirm the week-end ride and having him tell you he can't go....cause' he wrecked his Ninja EX 500 practicing on a local twisty bit, trying to get fast enough to hang with the local sportbike club on their street "race" rides, and is now paralyzed for life from the upper back down.....at 19. After I was actually able to respond, I tried my best to say what a friend can in that situation...which really isn't squat. I do know he was one of the nicest, most down to earth guys I ever met. I just wish I coulda helped him get through that "gotta live up to the group no matter what" mentality. That bums me out to this day
sad.gif

sad...........
just plain old sad.............
since i have been on this board i have heard more about bikers deying and manngled for life then id like to.
hearing this stuff makes me wanna sell my bike and get a dirt bike.
i bet one day i will....................:(
just beacuse im sick and tired of hearing about this kind of crap....and i dont want some one typing this about me..........................

It's really sad to read about all these accidents.
It is a excellant reminder to me not to skip any of the gear and stay "Super Alert" when I am out riding.

Always very sobering to see things like this...

So many of the accidents on sport bikes are the fault of the rider not knowing how to handle the bike or showing off...then you run across those accidents where a car took 'em out and you realize that you can be as careful as you wish and it won't matter if someone's talking on their cell phone and runs through an intersection...

I passed an accident a few weeks back that was more amazing to see than tragic. Good news is that the rider seemed alert and was sitting up in the back of an ambulance. His Harley was imbedded in the front end of a Grand Am, standing straight up without the use of a kick stand! I did a double-take...looks like the Harley stopped to allow the car in front of him to turn left, and the Grand Am plowed in to the back of the Harley hard enough to push the front end of his car in over a foot, and holding the Harley in a verticle position...victim of a cager not paying attention...

Yeah, sometimes I think about giving it up too...I don't want to be a statistic...no one does...

This thread is a prime example of why when someone asks "Should I get a Busa as my first bike" they are told not only no but hell no.

And then often they ignore the advice and or take offense to it.

All I can say is natural selection will always play a big part in worldly matters

This thread is a prime example of why when someone asks "Should I get a Busa as my first bike" they are told not only no but hell no.[/QUOTE]

Thrasherfox I'll have to disagree with you on this one...the 19 year old was on an EX500, it could have been a Rebel 250 or it could have been a 'busa...the result would have been the
same...tragic. Although the 'busa as a 1st bike is not to be taken lightly, I believe it has less to do with the type of bike being ridden but more to do with the type of person riding...
the fact is motorcycling is more of a mind thing than anything else and if your mind is not in tune to the task at hand it matters little what machine you're on...
Ride safe...

I know that I do not post much, but I gotta say something here. Every time someone puts up a sad post about a severe injury or death involving a sportbike, or any moorcycle in general,there are those that just want to throw in the towel. I agree with Busabad...what happens to those of us less fortunate happens for a reason. That rider could have been on a Harley, or even a Vespa for that matter...it still would have happened one way or another. We are different here, I honestly believe that, a breed apart. Can even one person on this board say that once they get off of their bike that they don't give it at least one backwards glance and feel the magic that only we that understand can feel? I feel badly for the person paralyzed, but how do you know that if he had not have wrecked at that point that someone wasn't going to come around the next turn and kill him? Someone in a cage on a cell phone not paying attention creeping over the double yellow just enough to .....WHAM!!! Maybe this is not a fate worse than death. I am rambling, I know but I just want to get my point across. We ALL put our soul into our riding, and if someone doesn't, then man you are missing something. Riding means something to all of us that just can't be explained...and to give that up for what might happen...what could happen??? You might as well seal yourself up in a bubble and forget about the word "DESIRE" Yeah, you will live a long time, but will you ever truly be happy??? If I die while riding I would not want one person weeping for me...weep for your loss, for me not being in your life any more, but me???...naw brother that ain't it. I died doing what I love doing, be happy for me. It was my time to go and I went with a smile on my face.

Don't believe in the 'not you time' theory??? I will leave you with this: A young kid I know bought a CBR929RR as his first motorcycle. He THOUGHT he was getting proficient at riding wheelies after only having the bike a couple of weeks. After leaving a restaurant after having lunch (no drinking) he pulls out and wheelies and can't get the bike to come back down, panics, and pushes away from the bike just before it impacts a huge, steel traffic light pole. Had he stayed on the bike, the impact would have killed him. The bike, upon impact, exploded into a bunch of little pieces. After pushing away, he rolls along the ground a bit (to be expected) RIGHT OUT INTO A LANE OF TRAFFIC! Whats worse is that Joe Cool decided not to strap his helmet on, and upon impact with the ground his helmet pops off, before he ROLLS OUT INTO A LANE OF TRAFFIC. The light was red...no traffic. He blew up his knee and had road rash (no gear), but walked away after cheating death twice in the span of about 30 seconds. I honestly believe that it just wasn't his time to go, so he didn't. He is here for a reason, and he has not served that purpose yet, so he didn't die.

Maybe not all believe, but I gotta have faith...I HAVE TO. We lost our first (and only) child in January. My wife was 4 months pregnant and went into premature labor with no warning signs. She did everything perfectly. Gave up tennis, caffeine, stayed away from smokers, and we got all kinds of books and read up to prepare ourselves. I lost my son and no one can tell me why...no doctor or anyone else knows why. I know why. The lord needed another perfect angel up in heaven and my son foot the bill. After she delivered we saw that he was perfect...10 fingers, ten toes...his daddy's jaw, his momma's nose...
Everything happens for a reason...have faith people and ride safely...ride like it means something to you.

"...That rider could have been on a Harley, or even a Vespa for that matter...it still would have happened one way or another.  We are different here, I honestly believe that, a breed apart...  If I die while riding I would not want one person weeping for me...I went with a smile on my face..."
Dr. Jekyll... I can't agree with you more. I think the same think. If it's your time it's your time. For that matter you can be in a Hummer and still die. I fully believe that. My own oldest nephew, got his GSXR-600 on his own 4 weeks after I got my Busa. Least than 5 weeks later, he wreaks it trying to pop a wheelie on a residental street. Like that kid you mentioned, it wasn't his time. No gear, helmet, but not strapped on when went right through someone's garage door. Helmet got ripped off his head upon initial impact with the door. Bike is a mess, all of the fairings, headlight, signal lights, both front forks, radiators, both tires and rims, all shot out. Estimated over $4000 to fix, parts alone is estimated over $3000, used!! But he walked away with a few bruises, nothing fracture, nothing broken, but his ego. I gave him a good long-ass lecture when I went to the hospital to pick him up. His mother, my older sister still don't know he wreaked. And I told him that if was seriously hurt, there would be two of us in the hospital: Him from his stupidity, and me from my older sister kicking my ass.

My former co-workers nearly choked on their food over lunch one day about 10 months ago when I said I was about to get a bike. They didn't know what a Hayabusa was so I explained, they responded with "ARe you crazy!!?? You can die!!", my retort is that I would only be so lucky if that was the way I checked out. They further replied, "what if you don't and you become handicapped or a veggie?". My retort, "I'll make sure that won't happen. I'll downshift into 2nd or 3rd and give full throttle to make sure I check out.".

I know that sounds reckless, but in my mind it's not. I personally believe that everyone knows when they are about to die... maybe about 2 or 3 seconds right before they actually die. That's enough time to downshift and full throttle. Maybe at that speed and impact I pray I won't feel much, better if I didn't even know. I'll ride right into my next life and this one can be a fleeting memory or a strange sense.

Been a long time since I've watch Gladitor, but Russell Crowe said, "... if you find yourself riding alone with the sun on your face and sense of tranquility, fear not! For you are already dead and in the land of Ureislium."

Hey guys,
we all gotta go someday but you seem in a rush to get to the day... "change down and hit the throttle"?..if you got time to do that you got time to avoid the accident... don't be in a hurry to die...ride to live.

Dr Jekyl, your words were very profound and I too believe God has a plan for all of us and that plan includes how and when we will check out and meet Him...
eynlai, i would not recommend downshifting to 2nd and hitting the throttle, unless that is an evasive manoeuver to get out of the tricky situation...

Friends, I lost a dear friend due to a bike accident, and I am still sad for him and his family, lets ride to stay alive, it's the only way to ride
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|africanrider
Reason for Edit: "spelling error"|1098459448 -->

God and his Angels can not watch everyone all the time. They need your help, it is not always safe to say when it is your time, so stay alert. Those Angels are busy so give them a helping hand.

Yes N.E....Difficult subject--a couple of weeks ago my wife and i saw the aftermath..of a four vehicle accident..
Seven lane wide road--blue sky--perfect...Suburban pulls out in front of mid size car...car t-bones burban...car spins across four lanes directly in front of Triumph 2300cc rider..Lady 4th vehicle..swerves to miss downed biker and goes upside down...all the car drivers survived--biker dead---what's so sad, he was just riding along...
Was it his time.........I don't know..who does---our creator.....nothing just happens..It's all [CAUSED]...like i said nothing just happens... Ps many years ago i saw a [poop happens sticker] Not true....opinions?

It really hurts to hear of someone going down or for the worst part, dying. I lost my cousin a couple of years ago on PCH in Malibu (I'm sure all of you have heard of PCH) on a CBR 929. My cousin was going South On PCH, from what the police report claimed, he was doing around 40-50mph, my cousin was on the farthest right lane(PCH has 2 lanes going south, 2 lanes going north with a turning lane that separates the 2). There was a cager with the blinkers on, indicating that it was going to go right, so my cousin got into the left lane & before he knew it, the car had flipped a U-turn leaving my cousin with no reaction time. He died on impact.  The driver was on her cell phone, so you can just imagine.

My cousin was the one that actually got me into Motorcycling. He showed me how to ride on that 929. He had been riding for 13 yrs. What hurts me truly the most is that he left without Jesus Christ in his life.

So remember everyone, ride safe and of course remember, we have to drive for those other drivers as well. God Bless you all.

Dr Jekyll..what you said too..Be safe out there and and ride like we are invisible..So sad that doesn't always work either..Passion for our sport...many say it's not worth it......sobering but i will continue to ride......as defenceable as possible......
sad.gif
smile.gif
at the same time..Heavy !!

Back