'Depression may be tied to head injuries'

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
This was in the Dallas paper today. I myself have suffered two concussions, one back in August on the bike and one back in 1998 on a jet ski (followed immediately by drowning despite the life gear...... and of course, that time I drowned when I was 3
biggrin.gif
). I don't consider myself depressed other than the usual crap I go through everyday, in fact I think I'm quite happy despite many things, so take this one with a huge grain of salt. ;)

Chicago - Concussions and other head injuries in early adulthood may significantly raise the risk of depression decades later, a study of World War II veterans found.
The study has implications for football and hockey players, motorcyclist, and others who have taken blows to the head.
Other research has shown that head trauma patients may be prone to depression shortly after suffering their injuries. But the new findings suggest that the risk persists even 50 years later.
The study involved 1,718 veterans hospitalized for various ailments during the war and questioned 50 years later. About 11 percent who had had head injuries said they currently had major depression, compared with 8.5 percent of those hospitalized during the war for other reasons.
Overall, the lifetime prevalence of major depression was 18.5 percent in the head-injury group and 13.4 percent among the other veterans, Drs. Tracey Holsinger and Brenda Plassman of Duke University and colleagues reported in January's Archives of General Psychiatry.
The researchers found similar depression rates in veterans who had received their head injuries in combat and in those whose injuries occurred elsewhere. Thus it is unlikely that post-traumatic stress syndrome, which can include symptoms of depression, would explain the findings.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

cyclecop

Registered
OK, I can shed a little light in view of the last post above. I do not own a busa and am Depressed by the fact, or maybe its not just cuz of the Busa, just the fact I have a katana and am not happy with it....Hmm, sounds like I need to buy me a new bike to confirm or deny this theory..
sneaky2.gif
thumbs-up.gif

jetset

Registered
Buy the BUSA Cyclecop if you are what your handle is you will have alot of fun .A Katana could be depressing.

Pinna

Registered
Dont you find that most of these articles state the bloody obvious.

If you suffer head injuries life is never quite the same again. If the doctor said i couldnt ride the busa anymore that would make me bloody depressed!!!

Pinna :hammerhead:

UW8ANC

Registered
Just be careful as the article says - Concussions and other head injuries in early adulthood may significantly raise the risk of depression DECADES LATER, a study of World War II veterans found.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StromBusa Drinking soda linked to depression Random Thoughts 12
Sum Beach Dealing with Depression Random Thoughts 49
P Depression is NOT a Chemical Imbalance Random Thoughts 34
Blanca BusaLess Deep Depression.. Random Thoughts 8
mike1180 Is it finally time to use the dreaded D-word? (DEPRESSION) Random Thoughts 73
Robot USA 2008: The Great Depression Random Thoughts 5
ks-waterbug So u wanna know what depression is General Bike Related Topics 29
ks-waterbug Depression.... Gen II Busa Information 25
N Now entering state of depression. Random Thoughts 3
BentValve Riding to blow off steam/depression. General Bike Related Topics 41
rubbersidedown This guy is so calm..."I may have a broken leg" Random Thoughts 0
Diva RIDE May 24 - Yakima Canyon Rd Pacific Northwest 0
Diva RIDE May 25 - Baker Lake/Panorama Point Memorial Day Ride Pacific Northwest 2
HayaWakened Vegas Meet Up in May Current oRg Members Rides & Meets 13
chrisjp Haya's in the Hills 2020!!!! May 10th-May17th 2020 Current oRg Members Rides & Meets 102
Jake whitebird Bandimere! May 26th. 1/4 Mile 4
ky busa Question for those of you who may own a 99 and 00 busa General Bike Related Topics 3
twotonevert Well It May Be Time, Battery Gave Me Fits This Morning Gen II Busa Information 11
gurrera People Who May Not Be Around In 2018 Random Thoughts 9
gurrera Some Astute Observations You May Have Had At Times Random Thoughts 3
BusaBus Bought A New Kawasaki Z125 Pro- May The Fun Begin! Other rides of our members past and present 11
NEMESIS127 Bike May Be Running Hot But Temp Gauge Is Normal Busa problems 4
hayabuser Planning On Going To The Dragon May 21st? Don't! Current oRg Members Rides & Meets 20
T Guy Caputo Was Injured At Wilmington May 2016 Top Speed 20
gurrera This may be one of the "best videos ever" of the ocean with a 3D effect Random Thoughts 7
methodicreign Thunderstorms in the south east US on may 9/15 Random Thoughts 4
VaBusa Spring 2015 in Eureka Springs! May 27 - 31 2015 Spring Eureka Springs Meet & Greet ~ May 27 - 58
Chango Kicked out of 2nd gear three times las time I was out! this may be a silly question. General Bike Related Topics 10
dadofthree Some of my Pix From the May Bash 2014 Spring Busa Bash 26
MoeMar Chatterbox Drive-in NJ May 15th General Bike Related Topics 1
VaBusa Spring 2015 Hayabusa Bash - May 6-10, 2015 2015 Spring Hayabusa Busa 115
2fast4u2c ECTA Land Speed Racing May 3-4 Top Speed 2
Loomis Twice the Fun Spring Bash April 25,27th and May 9,11th General Bike Related Topics 0
captain Still working on the site and may be some crazyness Random Thoughts 4
semi Eureka Springs, AR MnG May 30-June 1, 2014 2014 Eureka Springs Meet & Greet (spring) 328
P Just thought I'd say U.K hi to all busa riders wherever you may be New Owners Forum 5
rubbersidedown For some of the newbie's who may not have seen them.... General Bike Related Topics 9
StromBusa Any idea what may have caused this? Random Thoughts 11
Loomis Meet & Greet Raleigh NC Fair Grounds May 30 Thur 6:00PM North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia 0
Blanca BusaLess Anyone live near Van Buren, Arkansas? I may need some help. Random Thoughts 2
rubbersidedown I may be dropping the hammer today...The Audi Saga continues. Random Thoughts 13
W Here may be a way to put your Gen I Busa up on a track stand more safely: General Bike Related Topics 0
semi Eureka Springs MnG May 31-June 2, 2013 2013 Eureka Springs Meet & Greet 239
todd moyer Blue Ridge Pkwy late April early May, suggestions? Trips and Touring 10
TreyYoung Barber May 18th & 19th General Bike Related Topics 10
pack mule I'm May in the calendar! Random Thoughts 17
kitchener rider may contain violence,,, martial arts Videos 11
raydog May I share this with you? Random Thoughts 24
R Eye Test !! I know a lot of us are getting older & may need it. Random Thoughts 11
Blanca BusaLess I don't know Skydivr, I may just vote for him... Politics 4