Fast Idle

JB Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Bike idle dropped to under 1000. So I have been using the fast idle to make it go over 1000. I lifted the tank and adjusted the screw to 1400.

Now the fast idle doesn't do a thing. I adjusted the cable all the way and it still doesn't speed up the bike. I even pulled the cable to put it all the way to the stopping point and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

rock.gif
i'm sure someone will enlighten you soon. I'm not sure what to do with that.

Mine did the same thing. There's an adjusting screw on the fast idle stop that you can back out. That will give it a little more travel. However, if it's like mine, that didn't help much...only raised the idle about 200 RPM above normal idle.

Soooo, I bent the tab that has the round 'pin' on it. Make sure that the fast idle is off and then take a pair of pliers (I used needle-nose vice-grips) and bend (rotate) the tab with the pin TOWARD the idle arm. I bent it enough so the pin 'just' touches the idle arm.

Now, when you engage the fast idle, it WILL be fast...about 8,000 RPM fast!
biggrin.gif

You're now thinking, "SHID! I didn't want it *that* fast!"

Well, first, ya don't hafta move it all the way when starting; just a little will raise the idle enough to start it when cold...but here's the benefit...Cruise Control!
cool.gif

I can cruise around 75 - 80 mph on the highway with the fast idle all the way on. I know, I know...this is a touchy subject (using the fast idle as cruise). Some like it, some disagree. However, ya don't hafta use it. I only use it on the highway when there isn't bumper-to-bumper traffic. It comes in real handy when on a long ride!

I did this to my idle screw to keep it from drifting around. When I put the screw back in, I kept waiting to feel some resistance so I would know I was pushing the throttle. I never did, so I stopped screwing, and like an idiot fired the bike up. It went to 10K before I could hit the kill switch. Just a dumb story I thought I'd throw in.

screw.jpg

I did this to my idle screw to keep it from drifting around. When I put the screw back in, I kept waiting to feel some resistance so I would know I was pushing the throttle. I never did, so I stopped screwing, and like an idiot fired the bike up. It went to 10K before I could hit the kill switch. Just a dumb story I thought I'd throw in.
iamwithstupid.gif
smile.gif

Bike idle dropped to under 1000. So I have been using the fast idle to make it go over 1000. I lifted the tank and adjusted the screw to 1400.

Now the fast idle doesn't do a thing. I adjusted the cable all the way and it still doesn't speed up the bike. I even pulled the cable to put it all the way to the stopping point and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas?
Just did mine Yesterday also, mine was barely getting around to 1000rpm. So I adjusted it according to what the repair manual recommends. Here's what you do:

1. Get the bike running to normal operating condition

2. Adjust the idle speed to 1,150rpm

3. Turn the fast idle/choke lever fully in...

4. Next, remove the rider seat, lift and support the tank with it's prop stay.

5. Here's the fun part, you might wanna actually remove the fast idle/choke lever cable(1st cable from the top) off it's housing/bracket and maybe the airbox(unless you have an angled phillips screwdriver) and turn the fast idle screw out to the desired rpm range or to the factory spec of 3500rpm.

6. After that readjust the idle speed screw to 1,150rpm

Hope this helps

Bike idle dropped to under 1000.   So I have been using the fast idle to make it go over 1000.  I lifted the tank and adjusted the screw to 1400.  

Now the fast idle doesn't do a thing.  I adjusted the cable all the way and it still doesn't speed up the bike.  I even pulled the cable to put it all the way to the stopping point and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas?
Just did mine Yesterday also, mine was barely getting around to 1000rpm. So I adjusted it according to what the repair manual recommends. Here's what you do:

5. Here's the fun part, you might wanna actually remove the fast idle/choke lever cable(1st cable from the top) off it's housing/bracket and maybe the airbox(unless you have an angled phillips screwdriver) and turn the fast idle screw out to the desired rpm range or to the factory spec of 3500rpm.

Hope this helps
The adjusting part was easy as you noted. It's just that my fast idle is now totally inoperable. It does not do a thing. I adjusted the cable and now even if I pin the butterfly with my hand it does not cause the RPM's to increase at all.

I think I'll try bending it as was previously suggested.

Thanks for everyone's input.

There was a little end cap missing off mine when I bought it. It wouldn't touch the cam that advances the throttle. Check with the bike not running that moving the choke lever (Yes I know it's not really a choke, but it will always be the choke lever for me...) is opening the butterflies some.....

There was a little end cap missing off mine when I bought it. It wouldn't touch the cam that advances the throttle. Check with the bike not running that moving the choke lever (Yes I know it's not really a choke, but it will always be the choke lever for me...) is opening the butterflies some.....
I moves it, it just doesn't do anything.

I have the same problem, adjusted the adjuster, no change. As it is only the fast idle I really don't care and when I take it in for 30,000mile service I'll see if the dealer can fix it. I don't want to bend anything.

I have the same problem, adjusted the adjuster, no change.  As it is only the fast idle I really don't care and when I take it in for 30,000mile service I'll see if the dealer can fix it.  I don't want to bend anything.
When you take it in let me know what they tell you. With the bitterly cold So Cal winter coming I want to make sure I have the Fast Idle working.

I have the same problem, adjusted the adjuster, no change.  As it is only the fast idle I really don't care and when I take it in for 30,000mile service I'll see if the dealer can fix it.  I don't want to bend anything.
When you take it in let me know what they tell you.  With the bitterly cold So Cal winter coming I want to make sure I have the Fast Idle working.
No problem, but I still have 4,500 miles to go until the service. About 4-5 months.

But I'll post up the results then.

This topic has been done quiet a few times, most have either noticed the prob go away after a few months (and adjustments), or like myself just adjust it and put a small drop of locktite or the girlfriends nail polish on the adjuster thread.

Cheers
Ross

Bike idle dropped to under 1000.   So I have been using the fast idle to make it go over 1000.  I lifted the tank and adjusted the screw to 1400.  

Now the fast idle doesn't do a thing.  I adjusted the cable all the way and it still doesn't speed up the bike.  I even pulled the cable to put it all the way to the stopping point and it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

Hope this helps
The adjusting part was easy as you noted.  It's just that my fast idle is now totally inoperable.  It does not do a thing.  I adjusted the cable and now even if I pin the butterfly with my hand it does not cause the RPM's to increase at all.

Is there any movement on the throttle cable at all when opening or closing the fast idle/choke lever?

Any ideas?

Hope this helps
The adjusting part was easy as you noted.  It's just that my fast idle is now totally inoperable.  It does not do a thing.  I adjusted the cable and now even if I pin the butterfly with my hand it does not cause the RPM's to increase at all.

Is there any movement on the throttle cable at all when opening or closing the fast idle/choke lever?
The cable moves and even moves the butterfly to pin it against the plate. It just doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Hope this helps
The adjusting part was easy as you noted. It's just that my fast idle is now totally inoperable. It does not do a thing. I adjusted the cable and now even if I pin the butterfly with my hand it does not cause the RPM's to increase at all.

The cable moves and even moves the butterfly to pin it against the plate. It just doesn't do anything.
Could it possibly be that something worn out? Once I adjusted the fast idle screw out, I noticed a jump from sub-1000 rpm to 2500 rpm, it's of by a 1000 rpms but I could live with that for now... Keep us posted

This is going to be a stupid question most likely.

But is the choke lever on FI bikes actually just a throttle lever? I've never had an FI bike so I'm not sure on this.

Back