Farkled the new lid today...

CrashTestDanny

Registered
Hard to listen to tunes if your lid doesn't have speakers, and a SS1k through Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming flat lands kinda begs for some entertainment, doesn't it?

When I bought my Starcom a year ago or so, I decided to order a few extra headsets just for this occasion when I would have a new helmet to outfit.  Here's the details on how to install one of these things:

1 - Remove the cheek pads according to the helmet makers' instructions.  For the Arai, grab them each from the area near the visor and give them a good tug.

2 - Pull the cheek liner off of the cheek pad, exposing the foam block underneath.

3 - Route the speaker through the hole in the styrofoam block (but not through the hole in the liner, so the chin strap will not be in direct contact with the cables.

4 - Stick the velcro backing to the cheek pad block.

5 - Stick the speaker cover to the velcro pad with the speaker between the two.  Make sure you have the speaker aligned with where your ear will be.

6 - Repeat 3-5 for both speakers.

7 - Stuff all cables under the neck roll.  Be gentle with them, but push them all the way in between the helmet's inner and outer shells.  I like to double it back quite a bit to give plenty of strain relief.  I have needed it before.

8 - Run the main cable over the top of the neck roll, between the right cheek pad and outer shell, and then out between the neck roll and outer shell.  I like to only have a short amount of cable sticking out so that when I ride without the headset plugged in, I don't get beaten by it.

9 - Route the mic cable over and behind the right cheek pad, stuffing all of the slack cable between the cheek pad and outer shell from the visor opening.

10 - Place the mic right in front of where your mouth will be in the helmet.

11 - Drink a (root) beer and go to bed!

And now for a couple pics...

LeftCheekStart_web.JPG

The starcom is the way to go. I won't ride without it. First had chatterbox, complete junk compared to the starcom
bowdown.gif

good write up, but i have a quick addition for you and for anyone else who migh be reading this later on.

I myself have a Chatterbox, my complaint with it has always been the low quality of the speakers that come with them or are sold as add on replacements from Chatterbox. So being the audiophile that I am, I decided to head to the local electronics goodies emporium (best buy) and find a better set of headphones. Once I found a good set with the specs I wanted, I brought them home and took them apart. then I removed the wiring from my helmet and broke out the soldering gun. A little time and solder, and I had some good, high quality speakers in place of the cheapies that came with my Chatterbox.

However, when I got my new helmet I hit a little problem, the speakers were too big. they were pressing on my ears and making it very uncomfortable to wear my new helmet. So I decided to do something a little drastic. With a small knife, I carved recesses into the foam inside the helmet at my ears. I know i know, messing with helmet lining is bad, but there was no way i was gonna give up my high quality sound. So after not even ten minutes of work carving recesses into the foam my speakers sat nice and flush so the helmet fits great and i have high quality sound!

Back