Fairing Removal

2004Highway#9

Registered
Hello fellow Bus drivers:
Have a 2004 Blk/Blue.I'm wanting to take the side fairings off,I remove the obvious screws,I can get it loose,ready to come off,but the tops where I'm not sure whats holding it on..Does the non-painted black plastic piece between the painted fairing and the gas tank come off with the side fairing..The manual says something like unhook the fastners,could someone explain this part of removal,the manual is lacking here I think..

Much Thanxs

<!--EDIT|2004Highway#9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113724402 -->

You have to remove the black panels that run from the tank to the fairing to remove the side fairing! ...

...and welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

You have to remove the black panels that run from the tank to the fairing to remove the side fairing! ...
that black panel comes off with the side. You don't have to take it loose from the side fairing

my guess is you have all the bolts out. A few things to check. The small black push buttons connectors under the front cowl above the front fender.

when you take the side panel off. Near the gas tank there is a small pin on the underside of the black inner and you have to lift up to get it to come out. Hope this helps.

Hey fstbusa and shenoyp,

Dudes, you dont know how much your inputs helps us rookies out.

All I can say is THANK YOU!!!!

You Guys Rule!!!!

So, did you get the fairings off? Make sure on reassembly to be careful to get upper black trim up and over the frame and almost in place.

Then slide the lower fairing in under the upper cowl making sure the lower fairing is to the inside of the upper cowl and get it into place.(the upper cowl fasteners can scratch on the lower if they are not in while your adjusting.

Then I usually like to put in the middle longer fairing bolt first to hold everything in place while I install the others. Leave them all semi loose until they are all in this will allow you to adjust all your gaps for tightness.

Last I install the push button on the upper trim next to the tank. Then the smaller push pins underneath the upper cowl up inside the fork area.

Hope this helps also.

Back