plastic pop rivets

OB_CaveDweller

Registered
The plastic fastners are reusable. I've had my rear and front fairings off tons of times and never broken one plastic fastner so I am at a loss to understand how you are breaking yours. Are you pushing in the center wedge before removal ?

[This message has been edited by CaveDweller (edited 30 March 2000).]

AAHH! now that what i'm talkin' about. high quality information at low low prices. thank you cavedweller i would have never thought of trying that.i think i'll go put my bike back together now.

CaveDweller, in my case they broke when I pushed them in. So far I have broken 2. Maybe 2 weak ones. In the service manual, chasis section, the two types of rivets are explained very clearly.

What are the part#s for the two types of
fasteners? My dopey dealer cant even
find them on fiche.

hey the blackbird has almost the same type of rivet it has a knob on the end of it all you have to do is pull or push the knob to remove.it fits the busa!

ray

i was wondering if there is any other style of fastener on the market that could be used on the body work. it seems every time i take the rear fairing off,or the fairing around the radiator i can not help but break these little plastic pop rivets. someone must make a reuseable fastner.

I was about to post something similar. I agree with you. I ordered a dozen of each size. There are two types, according to the manual. the one you push-in and pull out and the one you pryout and pull out.

nickb i know what your saying about the dealer especially the dopey part.well here are the part #'s (09409-06322)those are the small pop rivets. the 2 larger ones up front on the frame spars are (09409-07332) also they have a slightly different style they have come out with, it has a phillips head screw to lock it in or remove the fastner. good luck. p.s. fiche does not list the small rivets,go figure that.

[This message has been edited by Billy V (edited 30 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Billy V (edited 30 March 2000).]

recorea, i have been waiting 10 days to date for mine to come in at the dealer,and there not cheap either. have been riding the bike WITHOUT any fairings. it sort of grows on you, the thing looks like a beast from a mad a max movie without the body work.the guys at the local drag races (illegal) wont even run me, because they think i did more mods.

I have found a very close replacement at the local hardware store. They look pretty much just like the Suzuki type, but they don't have the little button in the middle. It is a solid piece of plastic. I found mine for about 10 cents each. I have one or two on the bike right now and they seem to hold just as good as the originals.

which don't they list?
the small ones that go under the tail piece and front cowl?
I have the nnumber at work it ends in -5pk
if no one post it I will tonight.

Don't make the mistake I did. That 5PK at the end of the number DOES NOT MEAN FIVE PACK!!
They cost about ninety cents each I seem to remember.

johnnycheese, what did your rivet look like the push in to release style, or the phillips screw style. the ones i got from the dealer yesterday were the phillips. the part #09409-06322 these are the small ones under the tail section.the large ones looked the same as the originals, part #09409-07332 mabey they are trying a new style,i checked the 2000 model in the showroom and they were the old push to release style.

Back