FA-18 Disaster // San Diego

Damn!!!

That reminds me of the plane that went through the front door of a Ramada Inn in Indy back in 87.I think it was a F-4,not sure.The parking lot was a morg for a short time.Total kaos.I worked next door at the time.

yeah I saw that late last night and was hoping it hadnt impacted any of the org members out there. terrible accident:(

Damn!!!

That reminds me of the plane that went through the front door of a Ramada Inn in Indy back in 87.I think it was a F-4,not sure.The parking lot was a morg for a short time.Total kaos.I worked next door at the time.

We studied that incident back in my Civil Air Patrol days. It was an A-7. There WAS total Kaos. The airport control tower saw the pilot eject but, mistaked it for the plane firing weapons!

Local EMS had explosions going on around the plane, the Air Force refused to comment on what ordinance was aboard.

That was a bad situation, hopefully this sad incident was handled better.

Very sad indeed. I hate that things like this happen. Prayers to the families of all those involved

I doubt the cause has been found yet, but another article I read said the pilot mentioned the first engine going out over the Ocean, he tried to limp it back to base to land but lost the second engine.

Anyone that knows anything about fighter jets, the don't "glide" without power. The pilot stayed with the plane until almost the tree line, trying to put it into a canyon to avoid civilian harm. He ejected a few hundred feet before it went down and the plane hit the neighborhood while the pilot landed in a canyon.

Very sad story and a lot of local "military backlash" which is so ridiculous to me.

Just a sad event all around.

Well if this article I just read is accurate, he did what he could.

It said he had one engine failure which is what caused him to go to Miramar, then the second engine failed. The articles states he did not eject until he was about 25 feet.

if that is even close to being accurate, there wasnt anything else he could do. And F-18 does not have a very good glyde ratio. if you dont have any engines you are done.

And if he road it in until 25 feet, or even if it were a 100 feet, that is pushing it.

It sounds like this truly might be a terrible tragedy for EVERYONE involved. :(

http://www.10news.com/news/18231819/detail.html

I doubt the cause has been found yet, but another article I read said the pilot mentioned the first engine going out over the Ocean, he tried to limp it back to base to land but lost the second engine.

Anyone that knows anything about fighter jets, the don't "glide" without power. The pilot stayed with the plane until almost the tree line, trying to put it into a canyon to avoid civilian harm. He ejected a few hundred feet before it went down and the plane hit the neighborhood while the pilot landed in a canyon.

Very sad story and a lot of local "military backlash" which is so ridiculous to me.

Just a sad event all around.

There will be a lot speculation about the crash and why the pilot was trying to make it to Mira Mar instead of heading out to the ocean to eject. When sh*t happens it happens very quickly in a jet fighter and they have the glide ratio of a rock. I feel for the family that was lost, the tragedy to the neighborhood and for the pilot who must now live with the consequences of this accident. I listen to and watch the F-18's and other aircraft that fly in and out of Mira Mar on a daily basis (the fly right over my condo) and as I do I think, "that's the sound of freedom". I hope to community doesn't lose sight of that.

How about this jerks comments.

By berserkrl on 12/09/2008 at 9:02 a.m.

"successful defense of our valued liberty"

I've asked several times for anyone here to explain how our liberty was seriously threatened (I mean by the enemy, as supposed to by our own government) in any war the U.S. has fought in the last 150 years.

I'm still waiting ....

Wasn't WWII in the last 150 years. Didn't the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor, Didn't the Japanese have subs, boats and other equipment off the West Coast?
Weren't there Missles placed in Cuba with in the last 150 years that got aimed at this great country.
I could be wrong, but I think I can come up with a few times that our Liberty was directley at stake i a very serious way with in the last 150 years.
Sorry for the rant, but it is people like this that are killing this country. Not the terrorists or communists or immigrants.

Prayers got to he families that have lost a loved one i this incident. Prayers also go out to the pilot of this jet and the crew that worked on it. Do not forget them. They are all sure to have heavy hearts and "What If'ing" themselves.
Prayer of peace

Back