F18 crashes 6 miles from my home.

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
WVEC13News

I was eating lunch in Norfolk, Va... at work. The news is on and breaks to report a navy f18 goes down. I was told the pilots ejected, but no word on the apartment complex it hit. I am hoping no one was hurt! Prays sent!

Yep, it's all over our office here...I hope no one on the ground was hurt and glad to hear the pilot ejected :please:

Right off of Birdneck Rd, right? Populated area :(

Yes a very populated area! Both pilots in the hosiptal with injuries. I havent heard about any civilians injuries etc. My roomate was called into duty. He is local P.D. In this area the crash happened.

I just hope people around here don't get their panties in abunch over this. This was bound to happen sooner or later, it's part of being a military town. I have had jets flying over my head my entire life - I love jet noise!

PS: Pilots are ok and no casualties on the ground yet. It happened at the best time I guess - everyone out of the house. But I can already hear the cries to move the base and stop them from flying over neighborhoods. I say suck it up and support our flyboys! BTW, I live 2 blocks from Earlybird so it could have been my house too.

I just hope they don't find anyone in those apartments :please:

WVEC13News

I was eating lunch in Norfolk, Va... at work. The news is on and breaks to report a navy f18 goes down. I was told the pilots ejected, but no word on the apartment complex it hit. I am hoping no one was hurt! Prays sent!
When I saw that on the news you were the first one I thought of. I was just able to get on and was going to send you a PM to check on you. The last I herd no one was hurt but have not seen the news lately. Glad you are oK. Prayers sent for all :please:

I think between insurance companies and especially the government, those folks will/should be accomadated and compensated nicely.
I'm glad no one was killed or badly injured, and I feel really bad for the folks that lost their homes and possesions.
Considering that, and say what you will...but that had to be awesome to see!!!:laugh:
Sorry, I'm a ghoul, I love a good crash! As long as everyone's ok.

You are right, that is a risk that is always there when living in a military town.

Could you imagine the thoughts of the aircrew as they knew they had to eject over a populated area? I am confident they did everything they could to prevent this incident, but accidents happen sometimes.

Glad to hear no one was killed or seriously injured though.

You are right, that is a risk that is always there when living in a military town.

Could you imagine the thoughts of the aircrew as they knew they had to eject over a populated area? I am confident they did everything they could to prevent this incident, but accidents happen sometimes.

Glad to hear no one was killed or seriously injured though.

One report said the pilot was in shock but kept apoligizing for crashing into a populated area! Even after ejecting out of a jet that was still the primary concern for him.

It sounds like they either ate a bird of the engine just blew up. they were on takeoff so they didn't have any height to play with. There are crash zones around this area where they try to get to in an emergency but if you are that low there is no time to try and get to one of those. Seems like this guy was on his game though - he got rid of his fuel before he hit the ground. If he hadn't done that it would have wiped out 3-4 blocks with the fire ball alone.

When I heard that it was in VB you were the first person I thought about, Tim. Well, actually your the only one I know that lives in the area. Glad everyone is OK.

Thanks guys for the concerns! As crazyarch pointed out, the pilot did his best efforts with ditching the F18. I was very happy to see the civilians helping out the pilots and fire fighters. Made me feel proud about the community I live in. I know I would of done the same thing, if it happened out near my place. Again as pointed out by crazyarch, we live in a military town and know as a resident that this a risk that can happen, a jet/plane/heliocopter can go down at anytime.

What a mess up there, Tim! I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt or worse.

Back