(2) Escaped prisoners, 10 miles from my house

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
There is a large State Prison, in our county, about 10 miles from my house. I passed it coming home from Church yesterday. There were armed guards, with shotguns, posted at every road surrounding the prison, I knew something was up.

My wife called the Goocland Sheriff's office non-emergency number and asked if someone escaped, they told her, "We cant give out that information, but you can call the State Correctional Facility".

My wife called the number that was given to her, and got a recording with no useful information.

Later in the day, deputies blocked a road near our house.
Only when we watched the news this morning, did we find anything out::banghead:

Two prisoners escape Goochland facility | Richmond Times-Dispatch

My wife knows our Sheriff and is going to give him an earful, I know we have folks here that work in corrections.

Is this normal procedure, Is there usually a source given to the public for current escapee information?:dunno:

yea be a shame not give an escapee every opportunity to find a place to hide or be ignored by the locals... Why if you knew there were bad guys running around, you might do something stupid like, lock your doors, get your kids inside or worse yet, spot them and call the police... what were you thinking? Heck the ACLU would have been all over you for that...

:rofl:

yea be a shame not give an escapee every opportunity to find a place to hide or be ignored by the locals... Why if you knew there were bad guys running around, you might do something stupid like, lock your doors, get your kids inside or worse yet, spot them and call the police... what were you thinking? Heck the ACLU would have been all over you for that...

:rofl:

My thoughts exactly!!!!!, What if they didnt "really" escape and were only "misplaced", that wouldnt be fair to the falsely accused prisoners :banghead:

Wife just emailed, cops with guns all over the place on our county roads.

Last edited:
I came home Saturday Night and there were 6 Police Cars around a house about 75 yards or so down from mine. My son and I walked down a little ways to see wake was up and heard the police go in. Then an ambulance came and left and finally they took they guy out in cuffs. I still don't know what happened. We did not approach them because we did not want to distract them from getting their job done but when they were leaving one of the officers could have filled us in. This is my neighborhood where my family lives I think we should know what is going on. I think the police officers as people are good and try to do a good job, but I think the institution is way out of line with really trying to help the people they work for.

I came home Saturday Night and there were 6 Police Cars around a house about 75 yards or so down from mine. My son and I walked down a little ways to see wake was up and heard the police go in. Then an ambulance came and left and finally they took they guy out in cuffs. I still don't know what happened. We did not approach them because we did not want to distract them from getting their job done but when they were leaving one of the officers could have filled us in. This is my neighborhood where my family lives I think we should know what is going on. I think the police officers as people are good and try to do a good job, but I think the institution is way out of line with really trying to help the people they work for.

Perhaps domestic violence?

My Dad use to be a guard for a smaller prison in Richmond County VA and if someone escaped everyone knew about it. Lucky not much of that happened.

Be safe. Does your wife have access to a gun or Mace. I would keep it with me at ALL times, in the house and out.

Be safe.

Scarey stuff... The lack of information is possibly the worst part!!!

My Dad use to be a guard for a smaller prison in Richmond County VA and if someone escaped everyone knew about it. Lucky not much of that happened.

Be safe. Does your wife have access to a gun or Mace. I would keep it with me at ALL times, in the house and out.

Be safe.

She has mace, and is now at work, my son is with our neighbors,(who knew nothing, until we told them). They will keep their doors locked today.

Perhaps domestic violence?

Well it is listed (I just checked) as assault but probably domestic in nature. That is what we guessed but I think the cops should have said something.

Where i use to work we had what was called "reverse 911".. pretty much you pull up a map of the county, draw a circle around it and auto dials go and call every phone number known in that circle. Be is a land line or a cell phone. Was a pretty cool deal, saw it used once when a tornado was coming!

Where i use to work we had what was called "reverse 911".. pretty much you pull up a map of the county, draw a circle around it and auto dials go and call every phone number known in that circle. Be is a land line or a cell phone. Was a pretty cool deal, saw it used once when a tornado was coming!

Interesting, great idea:thumbsup:

It's all about privacy. However you should be able to ask for and receive a copy of the report. :whistle:

Well it is listed (I just checked) as assault but probably domestic in nature. That is what we guessed but I think the cops should have said something.

Its not thier responsibility to tell everyone in the neighborhood what happened in that house. Its that families business. Just because you live down the street doesnt entitle you to free police reports if something happens that you think you should be aware of. Put yourself in thier shoes, if something happened between any of you and your significant other, and the cops showed, would you want Mr.knowitall going to the police station the next day to find out what happened in YOUR house? Its BS, MOVE ON.
Escaped prisoners is another story.

This is not unusual, use to live close to Patton State Hospital in Highland where they keep MDSO's (Mentally Deficient Sex Offender's). They would never release information on escaped prisoners, usually read about it in the paper. Any time we heard the SO helicopter circling the area or saw a lot of PD or SO cars we would make sure we gathered the kids inside and closed all the doors. My wife is armed (part of her upbringing to have a gun handy) and keeps a gun handy all the time now that the kids are grown. Don't count on the government to protect you and keep you safe, most of the time they are only there after something has happened to take the report....AND THAT'S NOT FUNNY!

Its not thier responsibility to tell everyone in the neighborhood what happened in that house. Its that families business. Just because you live down the street doesnt entitle you to free police reports if something happens that you think you should be aware of. Put yourself in thier shoes, if something happened between any of you and your significant other, and the cops showed, would you want Mr.knowitall going to the police station the next day to find out what happened in YOUR house? Its BS, MOVE ON.
Escaped prisoners is another story.

Is it BS? Suppose it was something else? Suppose there were drugs being sold? Suppose someone was sexually assaulted? Point is NO information was provided. As I said it is my neighborhood and not the cops. I live there they don't. I (We) do have a reason for knowing what goes on there.

Back