extended warranty from suzuki

bosshog

Registered
:beerchug::beerchug:guys..i'm coming up on one year one the busa....i'm wondering for you guys that have went pass a year if the warranty is worth getting....i have til Feb. to make the decision...man i really need some good help on this thanks.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Generally speaking, manufacturer warranties only cover "manufacturer" defects, meaning that they can argue the cause of whatever your issue is.

Also, Murphy's Law states, if you buy a warranty, you won't need it, and if you don't, you will.

I have Bought 2 Suzuki warranties and not needed them, and did NOT buy the warranty for my car, needed it.

So if the warranty costs less than your peace of mind, I would recommend it.

But you may want to go through the dealership you bought your bike from, where you can negotiate the cost of the warranty or see if they have a non-Suzuki brand warranty (Such as Western) that has more coverage or costs less.

My :2cents:

Bear in mind the difference between an extended WARRANTY and a service/maintenance plan. The warranty is only of value in the event of a defect. The maintenance plan would be of value if you plan to take your bike to that dealer for regular/scheduled service.

IMHO, warranties are not generally of much value while, for the non-do-it-yourselfer, a maintenance plan can be a good value IF you will be able to take it the dealer who sold you the plan and IF you have reasonable confidence in the service department of that dealer.

Best of luck!

Bear in mind the difference between an extended WARRANTY and a service/maintenance plan. The warranty is only of value in the event of a defect. The maintenance plan would be of value if you plan to take your bike to that dealer for regular/scheduled service.

IMHO, warranties are not generally of much value while, for the non-do-it-yourselfer, a maintenance plan can be a good value IF you will be able to take it the dealer who sold you the plan and IF you have reasonable confidence in the service department of that dealer.

Best of luck!

Agreed, a good mechanic is hard to find. I take my bikes to dealerships when I know I'll be over my head in trying something out, like a TB sync. But I can do the spark plugs, chain, and oil myself. So I only visit the dealership about once a year.

The Mechanic's Service Manual is usually under $100 if you want the book to tackle whatever the issue you have is.

Best of luck!

+1:thumbsup:

:bowdown::bowdown:brethen....as always appreciate the info...i'm not the do it yourself guy....i live in an apartment so they won't let work on stuff.....i have a pretty good repor with the stealership....so they take somewhat good care of me....thanks for the help:beerchug::beerchug:

:beerchug::beerchug:guys..i'm coming up on one year one the busa....i'm wondering for you guys that have went pass a year if the warranty is worth getting....i have til Feb. to make the decision...man i really need some good help on this thanks.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I got the plan when I bought my bike in april.Thought it was a good deal...$460. for 5 yr total, Dealer told me same warranty as the first year,bumper to bumper! for 4 more years.:thumbsup:

I've never brought any kind of extended plan on anything (bike, car, appliances, etc). Maybe I'm a bit wierd, but I've never thought they were worth it. Luckly, I would have never used 'em.

I got the plan when I bought my bike in april.Thought it was a good deal...$460. for 5 yr total, Dealer told me same warranty as the first year,bumper to bumper! for 4 more years.:thumbsup:

$460 seems reasonable but the original warranty covers next to nothing really. No clutch, brakes, bearings, adjustments, seals ect. Everything else they will say in normal wear and tear or blame it on you, aftermarket add ons or lack of maintanence.

Don't buy IT!!! Suzuki only offers a 1 year FACTORY warranty! Anything else is a third party insurance policy. Read your details very closely. If engine work is required, you must show all documented oil changes (must be performed by the authorized dealer) otherwise null and void. Save your money....

Im one of the guys that is lucky enough to have a good dealer. I just bought the extended warranty myself right before the one year ran out. I have some mods on the bike and asked about any issues if I had to submit warranty work. They were real cool about it and said since they do ALL my work that they would take care of any issue I had. Most of the time they just submit it to manufacture and unless it's really a crazy repair they won't send rep out to investigate. I have heard of some companies voiding warranty repair on a tranny because you changed your levers. They fight to say bike has been modded but they have to prove in court that thats what caused the defect. you will win on that one but won't have bike unless you can pay up front and fight them after the fact. My dealer basically said if I had a major problem for me to just bring in all my stock parts and they would put bike back to stock and then contact Suzuki. For what these bikes cost whats 500 more for piece of mind you know...!

I didnt buy it so much for the mechanical worries, its the damn electronics that worried me! Especially with the ABC mode wase of silicone!

This is arguably the most bulletproof motor ever built. Its been designed for a fairly large percentage of folks who put huge turbos and large hits of nitrous and move their rev limiters into the stratosphere, and then beat the everliving crap out of them on the salt flats and dragstrips. It was designed to be beaten mercilessly weekend after weekend. I don't think the "average" guy on the street can break one. Save your money for Oil, tires, sprockets, and chains.

I've never brought any kind of extended plan on anything (bike, car, appliances, etc). Maybe I'm a bit wierd, but I've never thought they were worth it. Luckly, I would have never used 'em.

I always buy the extended plan on the electronics I get from Best Buy, its usually $40-$60 bucks depending on what I got, TV stereo etc.

I've probably bought 4 or 5 items through them and this year my surround sound took a dive. After them not being able to fix the problem they gave me a brand new unit. Which, without the warranty, would have set me back another $500. So I think the peace of mind is worth it for electronics.

I also had another issue with my car. I had the 3 year factory warranty and didn't get the additional 4 on top of that. I kid you not, 37 months later, my steering shaft goes out, I guess its electronic. Anyway, its a $900 fix and the warranty was less than that.

For bikes though, I've owned several and never had an issue warranty wise on anything Japanese.

Really, if you do the scheduled services, I bet you can find something more rewarding to spend the warranty money on.

I always buy the extended plan on the electronics I get from Best Buy, its usually $40-$60 bucks depending on what I got, TV stereo etc.

I've probably bought 4 or 5 items through them and this year my surround sound took a dive. After them not being able to fix the problem they gave me a brand new unit. Which, without the warranty, would have set me back another $500. So I think the peace of mind is worth it for electronics.

I also had another issue with my car. I had the 3 year factory warranty and didn't get the additional 4 on top of that. I kid you not, 37 months later, my steering shaft goes out, I guess its electronic. Anyway, its a $900 fix and the warranty was less than that.

For bikes though, I've owned several and never had an issue warranty wise on anything Japanese.

Really, if you do the scheduled services, I bet you can find something more rewarding to spend the warranty money on.

My strategy is generally this:
1) Take care of what you buy/don't abuse it.
2) Never buy any extended warranties unless there is a better than 50% expectation of manufacturing defect/poor design.
3) Only buy a service plan if you a) are SURE that you'll use and b) are sure that it will save expense over getting service done without the plan.
4) If something unexpected does come up that a plan/warranty would have covered, you've probably saved enough money by not buying all those plans and warranties that your savings will cover you.

PS: I used to work at Circuit City in the audio department. They stress every employee to sell a service plan on EVERY single purchase. Sometimes the plans are of value, but 90% of the time, if you don't buy the plans, you're better off b/c a) unless you buy something notorious for being defective, it'll probably be fine well past the plan life and b) most of the plans are too expensive relative to the replacement cost of the item covered and c) the money saved buy leaving the plans in the store will usually cover anything that does happen to come up.

Best of luck!

My old man swore by triple A and he was a member for like 35 years he used prob less then 5 times in his life-but payed all those years-just so he could get his car towed "for free"
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't buy IT!!! Suzuki only offers a 1 year FACTORY warranty! Anything else is a third party insurance policy. Read your details very closely. If engine work is required, you must show all documented oil changes (must be performed by the authorized dealer) otherwise null and void. Save your money....
not really so... the extended warranty is by suzuki.. however it is likely underwritten by a third party, it is however a legitimate Suzuki warranty honored at ALL Suzuki bike shops.. Also it is completely false that oil changes MUST be performed by an authorized dealer... You DO need to save your reciepts for oil and filters however, note mileage ON the reciept as well... Not sure where you are getting your info but they are misleading you..

All the same, I have heard more horror stories than I would care to relate on Zuke's dealer support system and their reluctance to "warranty" repairs..

Most have to fight to get warranty service and frankly, that puts me off the entire product line.. Second gear failures seem pretty prevalent and not too many have had any luck getting it fixed under any warranty..

I do feel that if a motor is going to have a factory issue failure, it will do so in the first 1000 miles or so.. They are not going to cover any expendables or the transmission regardless of failure so what are you really buying?

Keep your relationship with the local shop and skip the warranty I figure..

My old man swore by triple A and he was a member for like 35 years he used prob less then 5 times in his life-but payed all those years-just so he could get his car towed "for free"
Posted via Mobile Device
My Father was the same way, he could fix anything, never used them except to get maps.

Back