Extended idle on Hot Road

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
This last friday, I was heading home on I-64, traffic slows down to a snails pace for 15 minutes, then stops for 45 minutes. It was sunny, temps near 90, no wind, hot asphalt. (Accident caused I-64 shutdown)

I decided to let the K8 run(many stories of bikes not starting in similar conditions, parade, etc.) The temp gage NEVER went above the half way point, fans would cycle then shut off. Frame was very hot to the touch.

Silly me decided to shut the bike off, and Murphys law made the traffic move 5 minutes later. I tried to start the bike, it only turned over very slowly(too slow to start). I waited 15 minutes(turned over a little better, but still no start).

After a half hour, I tried again and the bike started fine. The .org has many similar stories. Early on I upgraded to the higher amperage Schnitz battery.

I dont think battery had anything to do with this problem. This engine, (at least as indicated by the temp gage) was NOT hot, But I think things were plenty warm to heat up the frame. I have read warmer engines have a harder time turning over(compression goes up?), but from experience, I have learned hot starters dont like to turn an engine.

My best guess is, the starter got hot and lost efficiency(from conductivity of copper windings hot) until it cooled some.

To add insult to injury, I called AAA(for a jump) only to learn my membership doesnt apply to my motorcycle. Good thing I really didnt need a jump. Does Suzuki offer a roadside assistance program?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks, John

P.S. See you at the Bash friday afternoon!

Cant help you with the mechanical aspect but you need to add the RV+ plan to your AAA membership to cover your bike.

Might want to think about: due to bike idleing for such a long period of time the charging system is not putting out full charge, therefor the battery could have lost some voltage. Also a hot battery looses some cranking abilities as well has a hot starter. I don't remember the numbers, but I do know the voltages are lower at idle and with the fans cycleing and such could have brought the voltage down. Just a thought though.

Might want to think about: due to bike idleing for such a long period of time the charging system is not putting out full charge, therefor the battery could have lost some voltage. Also a hot battery looses some cranking abilities as well has a hot starter. I don't remember the numbers, but I do know the voltages are lower at idle and with the fans cycleing and such could have brought the voltage down. Just a thought though.
When I took the seat up(because I thought I would need a jump), it didnt seem very hot in there and battery didnt feel warm to the touch.

I'm sure idling for 45 minutes dropped the battery some, but after a half hour (of bike cooling down), it sounded strong turning over the engine.

This is part of my "gut" feeling, the battery isnt the problem.
dunno.gif

Dunno why, but hot bikes (that i've experienced) are hard to start, like battery is low. I've I've ran it hard and shut it down for 10 -15 min, like going in a store or something, or getting gas, it has seemed like the battery was nearly dead. Luckily it's always started, but sure didnt' seem like it was going to.

Check your terminal connections. Make sure they are snug. I would also just check the battery to be on the safe side, but I think you are right the start got heat soaked!!! See you at the Bash!!!

Back