Exhaust tone change after break in

Whitey04

Registered
Hello Forum! I've got a quick question for my fellow gen 3 guys. So, I've put yosh slip ons on the bike and I'm not a fan, it really bothers my OCD, one slightly lower, the other is slightly shorter, etc. I like the sound level it's pretty nice but still pretty subdued. However, I took it in for its first service today and then rode it around for a while. At around 700 miles the tone of the exhaust made a very notable change. It got real deep. No other drivability issues, just sound. So, either the yosh broke in instantly (around 200 miles on them) or I'm wondering if this bike has a break in tune. Anyone else have an experience like this?

Hello Forum! I've got a quick question for my fellow gen 3 guys. So, I've put yosh slip ons on the bike and I'm not a fan, it really bothers my OCD, one slightly lower, the other is slightly shorter, etc. I like the sound level it's pretty nice but still pretty subdued. However, I took it in for its first service today and then rode it around for a while. At around 700 miles the tone of the exhaust made a very notable change. It got real deep. No other drivability issues, just sound. So, either the yosh broke in instantly (around 200 miles on them) or I'm wondering if this bike has a break in tune. Anyone else have an experience like this?
I added Yoshi slip ons on my gen 3 at 1100 miles so I had my stock cans before that and did not notice a tone change during that time. I really like the yoshi’s so I bought a set for my ZX14 with no regrets on either bike. I also have severe OCD and I think I remember one being slightly lower when I put them on but I got over that because the looks and sound really outweighed the stock cans. The yoshi’s are noticeably louder on my 14 but that’s probably from the extra 101 cc’s breathing harder.

I wish you hadn’t mentioned about one being lower because my OCD has been kicking my butt lately and now I’m going to look at mine today. Gee thanks, now I have that on my mind! Lol

I added Yoshi slip ons on my gen 3 at 1100 miles so I had my stock cans before that and did not notice a tone change during that time. I really like the yoshi’s so I bought a set for my ZX14 with no regrets on either bike. I also have severe OCD and I think I remember one being slightly lower when I put them on but I got over that because the looks and sound really outweighed the stock cans. The yoshi’s are noticeably louder on my 14 but that’s probably from the extra 101 cc’s breathing harder.

I wish you hadn’t mentioned about one being lower because my OCD has been kicking my butt lately and now I’m going to look at mine today. Gee thanks, now I have that on my mind! Lol
I really like the Yosh slip ons also but man every little thing that’s slightly off eats me up. Like you said someone mentions it and it tears me up. My buddy knows it bothers me so he has to mention it every ride. But no one can see it when your flying by. :D

Yeah that’s what I’m guessing. I got off the bike twice and inspected my install work. I swore something fell off.

The baffle(s) didn't blow out did they?
The older style Yoshimuras used a bolt to hold in the baffle, but most of the newer ones use a rivot(drill it out to remove the baffle).
Unless the post-covid quality everywhere meant a baffle bolt or rivot was missed?
Long shot, but you never know anymore.

I really like the Yosh slip ons also but man every little thing that’s slightly off eats me up. Like you said someone mentions it and it tears me up. My buddy knows it bothers me so he has to mention it every ride. But no one can see it when your flying by. :D
I checked my gen 3 today and you’re right the left can is a little lower than the right one. I checked my ZX14 with the same yoshi’s and they are even.

The baffle(s) didn't blow out did they?
The older style Yoshimuras used a bolt to hold in the baffle, but most of the newer ones use a rivot(drill it out to remove the baffle).
Unless the post-covid quality everywhere meant a baffle bolt or rivot was missed?
Long shot, but you never know anymore.
No baffle, just straight through packing.

Back