'08 Engine Tone @ 3,500 rpm

Vasilios

Registered
<FONT face=Georgia size=2>I picked up the 'Busa with 2 miles on it. Not having a 'Busa before and not knowing anyone with an '08 I am need some feedback from those that do have an '08. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>You cannot really hear this at idle, neutral, and just revving the engine. It needs to be under a load (actually in gear, any gear, any speed).</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>When the bike approaches 3,500 rpm during acceleration or deceleration the engine changes to a deeper tone and sounds like a low tone gurgle for the lack of a better word. Its nothing major that I know of and at idle everything is fine. At any engine speed other than around 3,500 rpm it sounds fine. This has been happening since I first picked up the bike.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>Has anyone else experienced this? Not knowing, is this normal? If not, would one know what it is? Is there anyone in Sacramento with an '08 that we can make comparisons with side by side with two '08 Busas?</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>Vasilios</FONT></P>

Could it have an exhaust leak?

I know on Gen I's right around 4500-5000 rpms there is a different tone to the bike. But not sure I would call it a low tone gurgle.

Not sure if this is the same, but I notice a buzz type vibration, that was not there when I first purchased the bike - it's most noticeable at 3500 rpm. I can feel it in the seat and the handlebars.

When a friend let me test-drive his 08 Busa he told me to listen for the gurgling. According to him, the little openings on the front fairing (left and right of the headlight) is where it comes from and it's the valves opening and closing. I am not sure if this is the sound you are talking about (I actually could not hear it myself but was not riding it too hard on the test drive). But what he described sounds pretty close.

mine has a slight buzz around 5000 r's.but no other issues so far.have 1250 miles on it and will add another 500 or more this weekend.ill listen and see what i can find out.
rock.gif

The pitch changes on mine @ 3,500-4,000 RPMs. I am not noticing a "gurgle". Are you sure it's a gurgling type of sound, or is it more of a low-frequency rumble?

If you are wearing a full-face helmet (you are, aren't you?), it may just be a normal engine noise being damped, or altered by your helmet.

Might be worth a thorough visual once-over, just to be sure.

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>I appreciate everyone's feedback. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>I put the bike back up the lift today to drop the oil. With the rear wheel on the rear stand and in first gear, its not something I can hear. I guess the rear tire needs to be on the ground and my butt on the seat for a load to affect it.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>If all my riding is going to be about 3,500 rpm - hey why worry about it?</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>Not sure if "gurgling" is the right word, but there is a change in the engine tone as though it is working harder in that rpm range. Maybe its a mapping issue with the ECM?</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>I thought that it may be an exhaust issue but would have to take most of the fairing off first to see if anything is loose. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Georgia size=2>Vasilios</FONT></P>

Does the 08 have the valve in the airbox that moves the flap open and closed... 3500 may be the initial opening/closing of the flap and make a drastic difference in box flow there to help make that noise. Just a though.

I got called in to work a little while ago and rode my baby, I listened, no gurgle...but I got a pretty good buzz myself from doing a good roll-on in second gear,and keeping it pinned throughout third! Wow! Stock bike, I am still amazed at the smoothness and power!

Back