Exhaust tone question...

nddragon01

Registered
What's up all...

I was wondering if there was a site where you can listen to clips of the tones and sounds of aftermarket exhausts on our bikes. I'm looking to get an exhaust and wanted to know what it would sound like to make sure it's what I want before spending all that cash on it. Specifically, I'm looking at the HMF dual high mount slip-on, so a good clip of that would be perfect.

I went riding with Batman1 last week and he has the HMF dual high-mounts. Once he heard my system, he was sorta bummed/ or maybe better said - Impressed. Lots of people will tell you different things, about brand A,B,C...but honestly its all up to you.

Im running the New Style Micron full exhaust...made 171 rwhp before cams, and the sounds is quite a bit deeper than the HMF's. I would say the HMF's are more dirty/ raspy sounding where the Micron sounds much deeper. Yah, I was shocked myself to hear them side by side.

Micron sounds very close to the Brock pipe, but I would say the Micron is a littledeeper at idle, but a little more raspy at 4k. Another thing to consider is what the pipe sounds like at High RPM's. My pipe is so frickin loud my ears ring/ hurt even with hearing protection when Im in the 10K range.

I can have my Ipod on full volume with the ear-buds that go in the canal, and the Micron will drown out the music at High rpm's. At night, in the city, on a quiet night, the girlfriend can hear me leave and drive a few miles into the distance if I get on the hwy and crack the R's a bit - but I have heard louder pipes, just not as nice sounding at idle.

Oh, and before any one decides to bash Micron for poor performance, do your research...in 2002/03 Micron changed their headder diam, and mid pipe, and exhaust size...might impress you if you actually gave it a try...but I like it because it always seems to impress the heck out of fellow riders for sound, and always shocks the Dyno guys when the numbers become reality....no b.s. but not cheap. Micron is sorta a hidden jewel in the vast field of exhaust choices...and their slip-on's are also nice, but I dont think much of a performance gain.

Im not trying to sell you anything, so take my input for what it is...just some friendly advice.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150689827 -->

Are you or anyone else who reads this concerned about the exhaust noise attracting local LE officers?

Went on my first extended ride yesterday and w/in one mile had a County Sherrif on my @ss...had to pull into a gas station and sure enough he follows me in parks and gets a soda. I think he was just fuggin with me.

But on more desolate roads I get on it and would be afraid that LE in the vicinity would hear it and be on the lookout for a motorcycle then tail my @ss the whole time or have numerous people complaining about the noise.

As far as attracting LE...well, the look of the Busa alone will do that without it even being fired-up.

Now, as far as noise attracting LE...I guess if your going to play, your taking a risk - noise or not. If you were in the country, and LE were just sitting around in their car doing cross-word puzzles, or enjoying a burito and listening to the crickets...well yes they will hear you comming. But, if you are playing in the upper end..way past the Century mark...and you pass them, Im thinking the LE will really have to consider if they want to pursue...very dangerous, and most small counties, city agencies dont have a Helio sitting around listening and waiting for you. Im not talking about LA, or NY...but in the middle of MN...the agencies do not have the resources, and the Hwy Patrol is so short staffed the have 1 or 2 troopers for a 200 mile section of Hwy...with no Air support.

Im not suggesting you go and play with the LE...no win situation & your a real dink if you think games with LE are cool.

I'm just breaking her in now (80 miles) so I'm only going up to 8000+ RPM in short bursts on rarely used roads and letting the throttle off slow it down (part of the process).

I'm in no way going to even consider doing that on a road where I know LE circulate. I wish I knew of an...and as I'm typing this I just though of one...eureka! A small private airfield around the corner. Even went to a guy's house there once and he took me up in a biplane (Stearman P17). Wonder if I could gain access and get permission. Hmmm...

I went riding with Batman1 last week and he has the HMF dual high-mounts. Once he heard my system, he was sorta bummed/ or maybe better said - Impressed. Lots of people will tell you different things, about brand A,B,C...but honestly its all up to you.
Yeah, thus the reason I wanted to hear an actual clip of the exhaust on a bike, not just get opinions of "it sounds like this or that" and "it's not as good as this or that".

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your attempt to give me some sort of idea about the exhaust tone, but I was looking for a more subjective response as opposed to an objective one. Like you said, everyone has different opinions.

Thanks though.

I was looking for a more subjective response as opposed to an objective one.  Like you said, everyone has different opinions.
Hope this is subjective enough for ya...Best I can do, and there is a "Search" function on this site to help ya out in the future.
smile.gif

Exhaust sound clips

Those tests were done on a 600cc bike and can be misleading especially on the topend of 9k rpm and up....
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I noticed that the website stated the pipes were tested on an R6, so would it be safe to assume that on the 1299cc the exhausts would have a deeper tone?

Back