Exhaust gasket replacement/permatex question

SS4Luck

Registered
are the gaskets in the head of the Gen 3 reusable? My bike has approx 2k miles on it. I’ve read they are and they aren’t.
I’m about to install my Arata system, and it looks like I may have had a small leak or two with the M4 I just pulled off. I didn’t have any gasket maker on the M4 but have a tube of it now (I didn’t know any better before). knowing that do you put it on the lip/edge of the primary or around the exhaust port on the head? Are these gaskets shots and need to be replaced or load em up with permatex and send it?

0D14D350-BABF-4E2D-9100-B65018AC97C5.jpeg

BDE26333-F0B0-4D8A-AA26-3395A2312C27.jpeg

So Brock’s instructions say to do permatex the way the bottom is colored, but it seems like the top pipe makes more sense? Idfk anymore lol

944F6C1C-E1F5-41B4-9FCD-B3C8589D137E.jpeg

The exhaust gaskets can sometimes be reused, but it's not adviseable, as those gaskets crush into position.
The permatex is harmless, and can help seal a leak, but I'm not sure how well it will last long term.
Exhaust paste is also available, and it even comes with some brand's headers, but it drys rock hard, vs flexible like the permatex.
I have personally never used either on bike exhausts, other than the permatex once, to stop a sputter where a slip-on connected.
I always use new exhaust gaskets, and torque them to spec.
I test-ride the bikes without fairings anyway, and snug any header bolts/flanges that may have a small leak.
So, as much as you work on your bike, the permatex will likely hold up long enough to put things back together now, vs waiting on new gaskets.

The only place they seal is on the end of the tube, like your first highlighted pic. I don't know of any permatex that is going to hold up to the temperature extremes that surface will see. I have used it on slip joints before but I don't even do that anymore. I would be broke if I bought OEM gaskets every time I took my exhaust off. I just reuse them over and over again.

If anyone in the future is installing an arata and hating their life and searches the forum

You need long reach ball end hex driver sockets to torque the exhaust bolts

And yes the flange sits against the head port.

LOWES doesn’t behave ball end
HD has them at some stores, and they close at 10 :rolleyes:

45DF7145-1D8C-4C9E-9A71-1C76F7601E2E.jpeg

Back